Advertisement

Review Group #337 - Debris #1 (We Still Exist)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 122 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group #337 - Debris #1 (We Still Exist)

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, okay. Sigh.

Debris #1

Morning Glories Speculators will note that all the copies of Debris #1 have been snapped up off of eBay and are now going for more than cover price, with one left unsold for $16. There's some healthy demand for the book, and it's been getting generally very positive reviews online.

The book features two strong female characters, one of whom I mistook for a thin, grey-haired old man when I read it. Oops. Their job is to battle giant mecha-worms and stuff, protecting some sort of water-farming community. There's obviously a lot of thought-out backstory between the lines here, but I felt like this issue only sketched out those details for the reader and spent most of the time on the action. One of the obvious questions I had is if they have long guns, why all the flipping around improbably and stabbing the giant Transwormers with little knives? On the other hand, maybe that was their only bullet. (The group seems low on engineers.)

The artist is skilled, no question, but I think the colorist stuck a bit much to a Howard Johnson's palette. I liked the hues and tones as shown on the cover much more, the interior colors felt too anime-inspired.

Maya, sole protector of the last remnant of humanity, is off on a quest for...something...and she'll surely do some mechanical-monster fighting along the way. If you like the sound of that, this book is for you.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand