Advertisement

Daredevil #16 (I called it Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Daredevil #16 (I called it Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:29 am

I told you so. I told you that the new ‘light’ attitude of Matt Murdock was a cover for something even darker, and you all tried to ignore it, you said that Waid had brought back your old friend, but he’s much cleverer than that, Daredevil is still fucking dark, and this issue brought that down on our heads like a ton of bricks. Hell, I even guessed a few issues back what it was that Foggy had found, the bones of Battlin’ Jack. I mean, how messed-up is that? Matt seemingly had a psychotic break and stole his father’s bones without even realising it. That is just fucked. I can’t wait to see what comes next for Matt, and hopefully it isn’t revealed as the actions of a villain, if it turns out to be Kingpin or Mister Fear or whomever, I will be very disappointed. But first, let’s get back to the bulk of this issue, which was a very interesting ‘fantastic voyage’ inside of Daredevil’s brain. It’s always good when Hank Pym goes inside of someone (insert reference to the notorious Geoff Johns sex-scene), and this may be the best one. The way Waid and Samnee depicted the weird melding of minds happening between Matt and Hank was just brilliant, and it was great how Waid drew parallels between the two characters, their tragic pasts with women and all of that stuff. I wonder if Waid is setting up Giant-Man to be a supporting character? The best bit was when Hank’s broken mask became Daredevil’s when seen in silhoutte, really innovative stuff from Samnee, and the kind of thing only comics can do. This was just yet another fantastic issue of Daredevil, I’m loving how well Waid is walking the line between darkness and light, I like it so much I’m almost tempted to say something wanky about how the contrast is related to the character’s blindness. Epic themes!

Advertisement

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Daredevil #16 (I called it Spoilers)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 am

EFF EFF EFF.

I knew it, too -- Waid couldn't let, what, 30-plus years of characterization be rendered irrelevant when the majority of people who made it so are still employed by Marvel and wanted it that way.

So, it's official, then? Matt Murdock's crazy as fuck, broken by all the shit that's happened to him since Elektra got smoked, maybe even as far back as when Heather Glenn committed suicide?

I don't want this to sound bad because I know many people have enjoyed Daredevil over the years, and I've certainly read my share of issues. I fully realize that Matt Murdock being crazy is as likely as anything.

But that's why I couldn't buy this run, even after reading the glowing reviews of Waid's work. Because, as Punchy says, you can't have it both ways -- Matt Murdock can never go back to what he was, pre-Miller. It just isn't realistic, isn't feasible.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:EFF EFF EFF.

I knew it, too -- Waid couldn't let, what, 30-plus years of characterization be rendered irrelevant when the majority of people who made it so are still employed by Marvel and wanted it that way.

So, it's official, then? Matt Murdock's crazy as fuck, broken by all the shit that's happened to him since Elektra got smoked, maybe even as far back as when Heather Glenn committed suicide?

I don't want this to sound bad because I know many people have enjoyed Daredevil over the years, and I've certainly read my share of issues. I fully realize that Matt Murdock being crazy is as likely as anything.

But that's why I couldn't buy this run, even after reading the glowing reviews of Waid's work. Because, as Punchy says, you can't have it both ways -- Matt Murdock can never go back to what he was, pre-Miller. It just isn't realistic, isn't feasible.

See, I think he has had it both ways and very successfully. He's kept the darkness, but also managed to bring back some level of swashbuckle.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:51 am

ESF: this is the best superhero comic on the stands right now. You really need to check it out!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 am

Punchy wrote:
See, I think he has had it both ways and very successfully. He's kept the darkness, but also managed to bring back some level of swashbuckle.

So help me a little here -- Is he "multiple personalities" crazy, like Moon Knight, where Murdock and Daredevil are two different people? Or is it more "Murdock's stone-crazy, which is why he's still Daredevil even though everybody knows he's Daredevil?"

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
So help me a little here -- Is he "multiple personalities" crazy, like Moon Knight, where Murdock and Daredevil are two different people? Or is it more "Murdock's stone-crazy, which is why he's still Daredevil even though everybody knows he's Daredevil?"

We don't know yet, he claims he didn't put the bones of his dad in his drawer, so he could have a split personality, or as I said, he could be telling the truth and Kingpin planted them.

On the surface he seems fine, but beneath... the whole comic is like that actually, on the surface it's an old-fashioned superhero romp, but underneath...

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 am

nietoperz wrote:ESF: this is the best superhero comic on the stands right now. You really need to check it out!

I'm tempted, but Matt Murdock's story makes me sad! Great stories have been told with the character, but it's hard for me to read because I honestly can't argue the point that he wouldn't be a broken man by now.

I give Marvel credit: They didn't cheat with Murdock; they never cheated. All the stuff that's happened to him...it's all pretty much a straight line.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Neither. He's deep in denial about everything and trying hard to be a pollyanna, convincing everyone except for Foggy. The Daredevil thing is like an open secret now, though people still have issues with seeing a blind guy as a super-hero.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I'm tempted, but Matt Murdock's story makes me sad! Great stories have been told with the character, but it's hard for me to read because I honestly can't argue the point that he wouldn't be a broken man by now.

I give Marvel credit: They didn't cheat with Murdock; they never cheated. All the stuff that's happened to him...it's all pretty much a straight line.

Trust me on this. You need this book!

Also, it's in no way depressing. It doesn't shirk anything, but still manages to be fun. It's Mark Waid!

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 am

I'm looking forward to giving this a read, even if I've always found Waid to be quite pedestrian....
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 am

nietoperz wrote:
Trust me on this. You need this book!

Also, it's in no way depressing. It doesn't shirk anything, but still manages to be fun. It's Mark Waid!

Ha! I'm convinced -- I'll buy the run on Comixology, shake it down. I trust you guys, others who are liking the run. I'm sure it'll be good -- Waid's no slouch when it comes to this stuff, that's for sure.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:06 am

Wait, are you excited that you called something that was pointed out constantly by characters in the book during the first 5 or 6 issues?

Really, that's some major "I told you so" moment?

:lol: :lol:

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

Got 'em; I'll give them a read over the next few days, pop back into thread and offer my thoughts to the discussion.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:10 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:Wait, are you excited that you called something that was pointed out constantly by characters in the book during the first 5 or 6 issues?

Really, that's some major "I told you so" moment?

:lol: :lol:

Everyone else on the board was ignoring what was in the comic. All they noticed were the bright colours and pithy one-liners, me and Foggy, we are visionaries!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 am

Pretty sure everyone knew this was going to happen sooner or later, Not necessarily this exact thing, but something of this nature. There was far too much foreshadowing of it in the book to ignore it. :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand