Advertisement

Action Comics #12 (This gun shoots psychic bullets Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Action Comics #12 (This gun shoots psychic bullets Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

This issue of Action Comics felt like the first indication of where Morrison is going with this whole run, everything we’ve seen in the last 11 issues was tied together by the revelation that Mrs Nyxly is a 5th-dimensional imp and that the mysterious short man who’s been popping up seemingly at random throughout the book is another imp, most likely Mxyzptlk. This has been theorised, but it was good to see it all laid out, and I’m very much looking forward to the final battle between Superman and this imp. It was a little convenient how Mrs Nyxly was able to bring back the Clark Kent identity just like that, but then how else can you do that? At least he didn’t fly backwards around the Earth and it showed that Clark Kent is just as important as Superman. Also emblematic of the whole run so far was the fight scene between Superman and Captain Comet, not only was this a battle between two men who can lay claim to being ‘The Man Of Tomorrow’ and the different approaches each of them had, but the way in which Superman won the fight and ‘put his trust in Action’ seemed like it could be a tagline for Morrison’s take on the series and the more down to Earth Superman he’s used. Of course, this issue also showed Superman using his powers for more than Action when he read ‘every medical text ever’ to save Lois, we are seeing the transition from the Golden Age to the Silver Age Superman writ large here. I thought it was a cool choice to use Captain Comet, he’s a very obscure character and Morrison did a good job at dusting him down, I hope we see more of him. The art here was a bit of mish-mash, but Kyle Walker and CAFU did a good job at reflecting Morales’ style. Next month is the Zero Issue, I’m hoping for something very special here, Springsteen it up Grant!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Action Comics #12 (This gun shoots psychic bullets Spoil

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 am

I don't think the short man is Mxyzptlk. I think he's the Envious One, Vyndktvx, that Mrs Nyxly was warning Clark about.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 945 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I thought the medical text bit was over the top Silver-Age stuff. :lol:

Otherwise, I didn't care for Captain Comet being reduced to a tool for aliens and being a villain for Superman.

So far the stories feel strained to me, like it's trying to fill time more then really do anything to develop character and concepts. It's like Morrison's bored.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I thought the medical text bit was over the top Silver-Age stuff. :lol:

Otherwise, I didn't care for Captain Comet being reduced to a tool for aliens and being a villain for Superman.

So far the stories feel strained to me, like it's trying to fill time more then really do anything to develop character and concepts. It's like Morrison's bored.

That might explain why he's leaving after only sixteen issues. Which is interesting since on some level it looked like he was setting the seeds for some long-term level stuff with the villains from Supes' future and the appearance of the Black President Supes.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Black President Supes features in Multiversity.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:31 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
That might explain why he's leaving after only sixteen issues. Which is interesting since on some level it looked like he was setting the seeds for some long-term level stuff with the villains from Supes' future and the appearance of the Black President Supes.

Maybe, I thought it was just spitballing in the pages by him. Seed something he may or may not use later down the road. Or it was editorial edict stuff.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:32 pm

nietoperz wrote:Black President Supes features in Multiversity.

Ugh. Boring concept that's been done before. Captain Britain comes to mind first on that.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Ugh. Boring concept that's been done before. Captain Britain comes to mind first on that.

Boring concept? Possibly? But that was one of, if not the best issue since the relaunch. I'd so much rather read about that Superman than the one we're currently saddled with.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:

Not to mention Tom Stone.

This isn't a surprise really, Morrison has made a career out of writing fan fiction based on Moore's work. The guy is a fucking hack, I can't wait to see his sorry ass retire almost as much as I can't wait to hear the lamentations of his fans who will undoubtedly mourn his departure.

Yes, to see him and Liefeld driven away from mainstream comics will be best in life.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Not to mention Tom Stone.

Tom Stone???

Ntikrst wrote:Yes, to see him and Liefeld driven away from mainstream comics will be best in life.

You just compared Morrison to Liefeld??? Yikes! What color is the sky where you live???

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Tom Stone???

Yup, Tom Stone. The alternate reality version of Tom Strong who debuted in Tom Strong #20. Didn't you see the cover I posted?

You just compared Morrison to Liefeld??? Yikes! What color is the sky where you live???

Blue, and yes Morrison is to writing what Liefeld is to drawing. Both of them suck hard and are supported by fans too ignorant to know any better. Not only are Morrison's great ideas derivative, his plot lines resolve themselves conveniently rather than logically. Characters don't advance the plot naturally, the story resolves itself and characters behave irrationally to fall in step with the artificial narrative. He can't plan action/fight sequences to save his life, and the dialogue he writes is asinine. I can't take his characters seriously because they talk in bad cliches, completely disregard logic and are usually devoid of accurate characterization.

What's there to like about Morrison's work?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Maybe, I thought it was just spitballing in the pages by him. Seed something he may or may not use later down the road. Or it was editorial edict stuff.

Never known Morrison to be the seeder type. More like the "I'll take my toys home when I leave type." At least at DC.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand