Advertisement

Lord, please spare me these fools:

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Carrie

Liked in: 63 posts

Advertisement

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Bump

khuxford

Postby khuxford » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:33 pm

I think Notre Dame will get their act together a bit better than they did against San Diego State, but agree with Ben that Tyrone Willingham was a MUCH better coach than he was given credit for being. I was mad when he got fired, though I did start drinking the Kool-Aid on Weiss at some point.

I was pissed to see how that stupid celebration rule basically cheated Willingham out of a chance to upset BYU.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:09 pm

khuxford wrote:I was pissed to see how that stupid celebration rule basically cheated Willingham out of a chance to upset BYU.

Yeah, the rule itself is way over the top, but it *is* a rule so I can't really fault the ref for calling it. Also, it's worth noting that the kick was blocked, so it doesn't really matter where he was kicking from because it never made it past the line of scrimmage.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:13 pm

When is the page this was posted on going to take over as the default? I like it, and couldn't help but notice that the article isn't up on the main page as of right now.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 pm

That's a question for Jude.

khuxford

Postby khuxford » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:32 pm

twoheads wrote:Yeah, the rule itself is way over the top, but it *is* a rule so I can't really fault the ref for calling it. Also, it's worth noting that the kick was blocked, so it doesn't really matter where he was kicking from because it never made it past the line of scrimmage.

Actually, you can angle the kick to go at a steeper angle when you're at PAT range, so it very likely could have gone unblocked if not for the penalty. Not really the refs fault, but the NCAA's fault for such an asinine rule.

Fenway
cheese

Title: Girl Next Door

Postby Fenway » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 pm

I think it's worth pointing our that UK's defense has only let 3 pts get by them in two games.
Read My Blog: http://justanotherwannabeclassic.tumblr.com/

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 am

Fenway wrote:I think it's worth pointing our that UK's defense has only let 3 pts get by them in two games.

And against such stellar offenses!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:50 am

twoheads wrote:Yeah, the rule itself is way over the top, but it *is* a rule so I can't really fault the ref for calling it. Also, it's worth noting that the kick was blocked, so it doesn't really matter where he was kicking from because it never made it past the line of scrimmage.

oh come on now...that's a faulty argument from the bottom-up.

an EP is 20 yards long, he waas kicking it from 35. adding that 15 yards requires more distance (obviously) which requires a lower angle of trajectory from the kicker. that often makes a difference in whether a kick gets blocked or not. granted this wasn't a 55-yarder, so he didn't have to kick a low line dive, but it still affected the kick.

add in the fact that the team may have let down feeling they got hosed already, whereas they might not have had th flag not been thrown, and you can't just automatically assert that the kick would've been blocked regardless.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am

chap22 wrote:oh come on now...that's a faulty argument from the bottom-up.

an EP is 20 yards long, he waas kicking it from 35. adding that 15 yards requires more distance (obviously) which requires a lower angle of trajectory from the kicker. that often makes a difference in whether a kick gets blocked or not. granted this wasn't a 55-yarder, so he didn't have to kick a low line dive, but it still affected the kick.

add in the fact that the team may have let down feeling they got hosed already, whereas they might not have had th flag not been thrown, and you can't just automatically assert that the kick would've been blocked regardless.

That's fair, but like you said, it wasn't an extraordinarily long kick, it was 35 yards, which shouldn't make *that* much of a difference. The second point probably has more validity, since the Huskies probably felt cheated because of the penalty, which again, is a shitty rule but hard to hold against the refs since it is..ya know...a rule.

Also, how about giving BYU a little bit of credit? It's not like they just stood there and waited for the ball to hit them in the helmet.

khuxford

Postby khuxford » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 pm

twoheads wrote:That's fair, but like you said, it wasn't an extraordinarily long kick, it was 35 yards, which shouldn't make *that* much of a difference. The second point probably has more validity, since the Huskies probably felt cheated because of the penalty, which again, is a shitty rule but hard to hold against the refs since it is..ya know...a rule.

Also, how about giving BYU a little bit of credit? It's not like they just stood there and waited for the ball to hit them in the helmet.

Actually, they pretty much did. I believe it was blocked by the helmet rather than the hands, from the ESPN radio discussion I heard. ;)

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:43 pm

khuxford wrote:Actually, they pretty much did. I believe it was blocked by the helmet rather than the hands, from the ESPN radio discussion I heard. ;)

I see. :-D

khuxford

Postby khuxford » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 pm

twoheads wrote:I see. :-D

Oh...I'm "guy who didn't get the joke", aren't I? ;)

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:03 pm

khuxford wrote:Oh...I'm "guy who didn't get the joke", aren't I? ;)

To be fair, I probably should have included a wink or something.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum