Advertisement

It's official: The Neo-Classic Legion is a flop.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: It's official: The Neo-Classic Legion is a flop.

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Arion wrote:
Ah blimey, that's so very philosphical of you.

Thanks.

Anyway, it's obvious that the way the book is handled now isn't working. Either Levitz needs to change how he's handling the book, or he needs to be replaced with someone with a better grasp of modern comics, SF concepts, character development, etc. And someone willing to take the risks that both new fans and old school readers would like.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 119 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I can think of other posters I'd rather see shirtless here then either of them.

Oh that's so sweet of you.

You are talking about me, aren't you? Aren't you?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:21 am

Dear God, last month 'Teen Titans' and 'Superboy' both individually sold more copies than this title did :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Dear God, last month 'Teen Titans' and 'Superboy' both individually sold more copies than this title did :lol:

And you're shocked by this?

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 119 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

What you need is to go back to those classic, sexy Mike Grell outfits. What readers want today is to take a good look at Dream Girl's lovely jubbly bubblies.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Arion wrote:What you need is to go back to those classic, sexy Mike Grell outfits. What readers want today is to take a good look at Dream Girl's lovely jubbly bubblies.

Having an artist that draws in a more realistic style like Grell would be helpful if DC went that way. Like I've said before, it would seem that Legion was more popular when there were more realistic artists on board than more cartoonist ones.

- Sons of the Desert

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby UnionJack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Have just given up on both Legion titles. I've waited over twenty years for the Legion to be as great as it used to be (Levitz/Giffen and the first Baxter series) but finally had to throw in the towel. Loved the series before the re-boot but the NU52 version has been unmemorable - much like most of DC's line. LSH never recovered from COIE & then there was Giffen's appalling 5 Year Later toss.....

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm

UnionJack wrote:Have just given up on both Legion titles. I've waited over twenty years for the Legion to be as great as it used to be (Levitz/Giffen and the first Baxter series) but finally had to throw in the towel. Loved the series before the re-boot but the NU52 version has been unmemorable - much like most of DC's line. LSH never recovered from COIE & then there was Giffen's appalling 5 Year Later toss.....

5YG was one of the bigger mistakes in Legion history (maybe the biggest). Legion works when it's in a positive, Star Trek kind of universe, where humanity has overcome it's modern-day problems.

- Sons of the Desert

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes, LSH is definitely a title that needs to retain some Silver Age sensibilities. A positiveness, as you say, rather than light-hearted. Not that it should be devoid of some darkness, as depicted in some of the best stories such as Great Darkness Saga, LSV story from the Baxter series.
I thought Levitz's pre-boot Legion was just about there but for some reason the NU52 version has turned to shit but still better that the previous couple of decades. I've just had to admit defeat.
Yes, 5YG the worst LSH ever. Did Giffen write that as well as do the art? Never liked his writing - definitely an artist who should have stuck to art.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 pm

UnionJack wrote:Yes, LSH is definitely a title that needs to retain some Silver Age sensibilities. A positiveness, as you say, rather than light-hearted. Not that it should be devoid of some darkness, as depicted in some of the best stories such as Great Darkness Saga, LSV story from the Baxter series.
I thought Levitz's pre-boot Legion was just about there but for some reason the NU52 version has turned to shit but still better that the previous couple of decades. I've just had to admit defeat.
Yes, 5YG the worst LSH ever. Did Giffen write that as well as do the art? Never liked his writing - definitely an artist who should have stuck to art.

Giffen plotted or co-plotted the FYG with the Beirbaums for the first 30 issues or so.

I think Levitz's biggest problem is that he doesn't have a good grasp on modern SF. The 31st century of the Nu-52 Legion doesn't seem much different from the 30th century of 25 years ago. The book does feel like a nostalgia trip in that manner.

- Sons of the Desert

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I'd like to see Alan Davis involved. His LSH Elseworlds from years ago was the best Legion story in the past 2 or 3 decades. It was more his covers than anything that kept me buying the regular series. He has an obvious love of the Legion. Definitely like to see him on art duties & probably co-writing but with whom I'm not sure.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm

UnionJack wrote:I'd like to see Alan Davis involved. His LSH Elseworlds from years ago was the best Legion story in the past 2 or 3 decades. It was more his covers than anything that kept me buying the regular series. He has an obvious love of the Legion. Definitely like to see him on art duties & probably co-writing but with whom I'm not sure.

I couldn't really argue against Davis. It just needs to be someone who has a more classic style than cartoonish. Davis seems to be on the fence at times.

Artwise, I think the book needs to feature an interpretation of the future that's unique to the Legion. Buildings and interiors need to be less generic. You should be able to recognize locations in an instant without having to look at the captions.

- Sons of the Desert

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Steve Rude. If only.....

His fantastic Nexus shows he gets sci-fi. Think he could do a great job establishing a look for the Legion's world. It'll never happen though.

I also like Ladronn. I remember seeing some pics of an unpublished Inhumans series & it looked fantastic. Remember seeing shots of Attilan & some Kree stuff. He's got a Moebius (did I spell that correctly?) feel about his work that would be perfect for LSH.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 pm

5YG was not the worst LoSH. Waid's Threeboot was the worst. 5YG was the second worst.

Give me the job Didio! I'll make the LoSH rock! I'll make it a top seller! No nudity either! I am the NEW MightyGodKing! :-D

Davis is great on story and art, but his LoSH had some cooky ideas for the characters. He made Cham into something worse than what Waid did in the 3Boot. I was left so sad, given my love of his Excalibur work sans Claremont. :cry:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:55 pm

UnionJack wrote:Steve Rude. If only.....

His fantastic Nexus shows he gets sci-fi. Think he could do a great job establishing a look for the Legion's world. It'll never happen though.

I also like Ladronn. I remember seeing some pics of an unpublished Inhumans series & it looked fantastic. Remember seeing shots of Attilan & some Kree stuff. He's got a Moebius (did I spell that correctly?) feel about his work that would be perfect for LSH.

Thing is, Rude was only half the creative team on Nexus. Mike Baron would need to be included.

Ladronn... the "love child" of Kirby and Moebius...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand