Advertisement

This Week In Punchy for 08/01/12

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 am

The first TWiP of August is here, and it's a Summer Spectacular! There's a new start for Hawkeye, 3 different varieties of Spider-Man, the first chapters of 'Rotworld' and we bid a fond farewell to both iZombie and Justice League International.

Amazing Spider-Man #690– A week later than scheduled, I got my hands on a copy of the latest issue of ASM, and it was another very strong issue. Slott continues his main plot threads of Lizard and Doctor Morbius, but there’s another spanner in the works in the form of the Kingpin’s mole at Horizon stealing some important schematics and accidentally disabling the security and releasing a whole bunch of Lizards. I’m guessing that it’s actually whatever it is that Kingpin has going on that’s the terrible future that Madame Web is predicting, and that the Lizard is a distraction. But it’s a very interesting distraction nonetheless, Lizard-as-Connors makes his way through the Horizon Staff and turns them into Lizards, but on the way, he slowly starts rediscover his humanity. How does he do this you ask? He listens to ‘Call Me Maybe’. I mean, yeah, it’s demonically catchy, but it’s not exactly the saving grace of humanity is it? Less cheesy is Connors’ interactions with Uatu, who reminds him of his dead son, who he ate alive. Spider-Man himself spent most of this issue beating up Morbius, and it was interesting to see how different his attitude was here to how it normally is, no jokes, just fury. People who claim Marvel have kept Spider-Man in a state of arrested development should check out this arc, the character is not in stasis as much as you might think. Also, what do we think about Madame Web’s claim that Silver Sable isn’t dead? I assume it’s true, because nobody ever dies in comics, but, I wouldn’t put it past Julia to be so manipulative. In fact, the only negative in this issue was the cheesy bit where a NYPD gave Spider-Man his jacket.

Avenging Spider-Man #10– Spider-Man and Captain Marvel continue their Boston adventure, and everything was wrapped in a nice fashion. Robyn Hood is revealed to be a robot that was built by a bank to infiltrate the Occupy Movement and in the end she sacrifices herself in an Iron Giant-esque fashion. I certainly wasn’t expecting this story to go there, and the idea of undercover robots in protest movements is such a weird Marvel Universe meets the real world concept that I can’t help but love it. This issue also continued to develop the fun relationship between Spidey and Captain Marvel, they have different personalities, but they work well together, and DeConnick has a good take on Spider-Man. I especially liked how Carol, as a pilot, new the same kind of Physics as nerd-boy Parker did. The Dodson’s art was very good again, I know it’s a bit cheese-cakey, but they draw powerful women, and that’s what Captain Marvel is. This was a fun little arc, and I hope at least some of the people who read AvSM also check out Captain Marvel’s solo series, that’s what Marvel Team-Ups are supposed to do right? Use the power of Spider-Man to help other books?

Invincible Iron Man #522– The cover to this issue is the clearest expression of what this series has been like lately, it’s an epic chess match between Tony Stark and the Mandarin, and every character is a piece in someone’s game. This issue marks (I think) a shift in the momentum of the battle, as Tony manages to free Zeke Stane from the control of Mandarin, and gains a secret upper hand. But you can never be sure, Mandarin probably has another double-cross up his sleeves. The best sequences in this issue was probably Mandarin telling Tony his ‘origin’, where he says that his Rings are in fact vessels for cosmic warriors. Who knows if he’s telling the truth or not, Fraction has played a lot with Mandarin’s various contradictory origins, and I think he’s found the right idea here, just like the Joker, we’ll never know the truth. In amongst all of the high-stakes chess, the scenes with New Iron Man are like a breath of action-heavy fresh air, they are just great fun, Rhodey’s cocky dialogue is great, and Larroca draws the hell out of all the different robots clanking each other to bits. I even love the new speech bubbles Iron Man has! That’s how you know you’re a nerd, when you love speech bubbles. Who was it Pepper Potts was sleeping with? Wyche? What the?

Hawkeye #1– One of the stars of the Avengers movie gets his inevitable solo series, but it’s not what you’d expect. Matt Fraction and David Aja reunite for a brilliant new take on Hawkeye, and a superhero comic like none other. As succinctly stated on the recap page, this is what Clint Barton does when he’s not an Avenger, and since he’s an Avenger without any powers, what he does is very down to Earth, with no super heroics whatsoever. This is a true street-level view of the Marvel Universe. Clint is down on the ground in Bed-Stuy, and he’ not fighting Ultron or Kang, he’s facing up to unscrupulous Landlords and Russian Thugs who say ‘bro’ a bit too much. I honestly love that Marvel are doing a book like this, it’s just totally unique when it comes to the Big Two and adds a whole new perspective to Marvel. I’ve always loved Hawkeye as a character and it’s great to see him get the spotlight in such a cool new way. The actual story here is not too important, and I actually kind of hate the way dogs (and other pets)are used in stories as emotional manipulation, but that may be because I’ve never had a pet myself so I have no heart. Either way, it was a great introduction to this take on Hawkeye, and it was all told in such a stylish way. Most of this is down to David Aja, who of course wowed us all a few years back on Iron Fist, and in this series busts out his best 1980s David Mazzuchelli to great effect. I truly believe that Aja is one of the best artists in comics, and this issue proves it. I can’t wait to see what he and Fraction come up with in the coming months. If you’re looking for a book to hook people who kind of roll their eyes at superheroes, this could be the one, it almost reminds me of Brubaker and Rucka’s Gotham Central in a way, a superhero universe, but from a unique ground level perspective. I love it, I’m in, let’s hope this run lasts for a long time.

Daredevil #16– I told you so. I told you that the new ‘light’ attitude of Matt Murdock was a cover for something even darker, and you all tried to ignore it, you said that Waid had brought back your old friend, but he’s much cleverer than that, Daredevil is still fucking dark, and this issue brought that down on our heads like a ton of bricks. Hell, I even guessed a few issues back what it was that Foggy had found, the bones of Battlin’ Jack. I mean, how messed-up is that? Matt seemingly had a psychotic break and stole his father’s bones without even realising it. That is just fucked. I can’t wait to see what comes next for Matt, and hopefully it isn’t revealed as the actions of a villain, if it turns out to be Kingpin or Mister Fear or whomever, I will be very disappointed. But first, let’s get back to the bulk of this issue, which was a very interesting ‘fantastic voyage’ inside of Daredevil’s brain. It’s always good when Hank Pym goes inside of someone (insert reference to the notorious Geoff Johns sex-scene), and this may be the best one. The way Waid and Samnee depicted the weird melding of minds happening between Matt and Hank was just brilliant, and it was great how Waid drew parallels between the two characters, their tragic pasts with women and all of that stuff. I wonder if Waid is setting up Giant-Man to be a supporting character? The best bit was when Hank’s broken mask became Daredevil’s when seen in silhoutte, really innovative stuff from Samnee, and the kind of thing only comics can do. This was just yet another fantastic issue of Daredevil, I’m loving how well Waid is walking the line between darkness and light, I like it so much I’m almost tempted to say something wanky about how the contrast is related to the character’s blindness. Epic themes!

Avengers Academy #34– The school may be closed, but there’s still a lot more story to tell. This issue feels like a culmination of everything that Gage has been doing since #1, and it may be the best storyline yet. Our cast of characters are left depressed and directionless by the events of the previous issue, but are soon brought back together by the return of Jeremy Briggs, aka The Alchemist, the fascinating anti-villain that wants to shift super-beings beyond the idea of ‘heroes and villains’, and considering the world is currently being torn apart by two groups of supposed heroes, he’s picked a great time to make his move. I find Jeremy to be a really interesting character, his motivations are unique, and he walks a fine line between being a monstrous villain and being good, which I suppose is the point behind his plan, he doesn’t fit into categorisation. Sure, his plan at the end of this issue does tip him a bit towards bad, but he also cured Hazmat and Mettle, which is good. Hmm, it’s very interesting, I can’t wait to see what happens next in this arc, Gage is really shaking things up, and it’s great to see a writer willing to smash his status quo so readily.

The Defenders #9– This was a strange issue of an already strange comic book. The Defenders have been sent back to the 1960s Marvel Universe, but it seems to be a parallel Universe, and it’s not really explained too well as we start the issue after they’ve been wherever they are for a week or so. How did Iron Fist and She-Hulk manage to get jobs at ‘The Hydra Club’, what’s the deal with Frankenstein-Hitler? What was Nick Fury doing there so out in the open? What was with the crazy sky? Lots of unanswered questions. Luckily, the book is still a lot of fun, that’s the thing about a lot of Fraction’s work, while some of it might not really make sense immediately, there’s always a surface level of madcap fun that makes it easier to swallow. A spoonful of Steranko makes the medicine. The best things in this issue came from Fraction and McKelvie playing with the classic 1960s super-spy stuff and how cool Nick Fury was back then. McKelvie and Norton’s artwork was once again excellent, he’s a very good fit for this title, I particularly liked the double page spread of SHIELD busting in to save the day, and the panel with Nick Fury and Silver Surfer blasting at Hydra goons was a great image. In the end, Prester Omega warps the team, with Nick in tow, to another weird place, which will lead in to the introduction of Ant-Man to the title, and from the cover to #10, it looks like it’s Scott Lang Ant-Man, which is… not what I expected. So yeah, this was an issue of scenes that were individually great, but it didn’t really hang together all that well.

Age Of Apocalypse #6– Dave Lapham wisely continues his string of issues that shed more light on different members of the X-Terminated. This issue’s featured player is Deadeye, who is given an origin, and is shown to have a different perspective on the War to the likes of Stryker. Her origin was very well-told, it was a tragic story really. It’s good that Lapham is fleshing out his cast, and it’s even better that he’s doing it at the same time as he continues the bigger story. So here we see what it was that Stryker was up to when he freed M, who has renamed herself as Penance and seems to represent a threat to Weapon Omega. Stryker plans to help her win the war in return for giving the remaining humans somewhere to live. And initially it looks like it might work, Penance manages to make Colossus switch his loyalties (leading to the fight between him and Cyclops and the cover) but in the end, she bows to Wolverine. Stryker has given her Sugar Man now, and it’s a big mistake. This book is just so fucking grim, but I like it, not everything can be sweetness and light. Not that it is in comics these days, but this makes most superhero comics look like Johnny DC.

X-Factor #241– ‘Breaking Points’ begins, and it looks like all of PAD’s various subplot-chickens are coming home to roost. Every little seemingly forgotten thread is going to make an appearance here, and I really hope it works, because one of my main problem’s with this book is how sprawling it is, things happen and are forgotten about. But if it turns out to have all been a part of Peter David’s Cylon Plan, then yeah, awesome. The biggest returning subplot in this issue was the remnants of Madrox’s inter-dimensional road trip, as the various baddies, Deathlok-Cap, Dormammu-Strange, that wolf-woman attack him and Havok in Central Park. I thought it was very cool how PAD remembered Havok’s dimensional uniqueness, who’d have thought Mutant X would have been worthwhile in the end? I was surprised by how easily these guys were dealt with, but it seems like they are only the start, especially when it comes to Polaris, who was pretty brutal, and Strong Guy, who truly was soulless here, and went off with some kind of evil demon dude. I guess we know which direction his and M’s date went now! In terms of art, it was great to have Leonard Kirk back, he’s a very strong fit for this book, he does the traditional superhero bits great, but can also get across humour very well. And it’s good that there is still humour here, I liked the Tron jabs at Havok a lot.

Avengers Vs X-Men #9(of 12)– After a few issues that were a little bit less than amazing, this one was a return to form. I’d definitely say that Jason Aaron has written the best parts of this event. The main focus of this issue was Spider-Man, a character who some fans still, after 8 years or so, don’t think should be an Avenger. Hopefully this issue will have changed their minds, he did as he said he would, he stepped up. I do question the reasons why he chose this particular moment to do so, it seemed kind of arbitrary. But that’s just quibbling, because when he stays behind to try and stop Colossus and Magik by himself, it’s just true heroism, and another example of why Spider-Man is one of the greatest characters in all of fiction, when he mentions Uncle Ben… man, that was emotional. I also liked that Aaron continued his excellent use of Colossus in this issue, even while he was beating the crap out Spidey, he still has his doubts, he knows deep down he doesn’t want to do this, but the Phoenix Force is making him do it. We even saw that with Emma Frost in this issue, she has seemed almost unrepentantly bad in this story at points, but the little bit where she asks Cyclops to stop her… it showed the humanity still within her. Of course, the most controversial part of this issue doesn’t involve Spider-Man or Cyclops, but the annulment of the Storm/Black Panther marriage. I’m not going to get all angry at this yet, because I think by the end of this event, they’ll be back together, Storm has switched sides back to the Avengers after all, and she’s the one who led the rescue effort to the Hell-Volcano. That’s how big this event is, it’s got a Hell-Volcano. Summer event comics done right. At the end, Magik and Colossus fight each other, and their bit of the Phoenix goes to Cyclips, who now has the ability to rip through the dimensions and break into K’Un Lun. Holy shit, it just gets bigger.

Ultimate Spider-Man #13– Pay no heed to the big ‘Divided We Fall’ banner on the cover, the impact of the crossover is negligible really, Bendis is still telling his own story, and what a story it is. Miles spends most of the issue dealing with the aftermath of his fight with Uncle Aaron, and how he kinda killed him. I just love this twist on the Peter/Uncle Ben relationship, it’s similar in just enough ways to make the differences really sting, and even though Aaron was a bad dude when compared to Ben, Miles was a lot more culpable. It’s deep stuff. And of course, Miles’ already anti-Superhero dad blames Spider-Man, which adds even more grist for the dramatic mill. I must admit, I was fooled by the phone call twist, I assumed it was Captain America (who is still back bitches), but no, it was Aunt May and Gwen. I’m assuming that inside the box that May was about to give Miles is a pair of web-shooters, it’s mainly because the cover to #14 shows him with webs, but also because it’s a fitting passing of the torch kind of thing. The fight between Spider-Man and Batroc was a lot of fun, he’s such a goofy character, but the Ultimate Version is actually a little less goofy, he was actually going to shoot one of his own henchmen! This title continues to be an excellent read, and I’m already hooked into not only the main story with Miles, but also with a couple of subplots, like what’s going on with Judge, how long before he finds out about Miles’ secret, and what’s going to happen to him? David Marquez’s art is also fantastic, it’s just a great comic, and more books should be like it, taking old concepts and really revitalising them, not just a little changes.

Action Comics #12– This issue of Action Comics felt like the first indication of where Morrison is going with this whole run, everything we’ve seen in the last 11 issues was tied together by the revelation that Mrs Nyxly is a 5th-dimensional imp and that the mysterious short man who’s been popping up seemingly at random throughout the book is another imp, most likely Mxyzptlk. This has been theorised, but it was good to see it all laid out, and I’m very much looking forward to the final battle between Superman and this imp. It was a little convenient how Mrs Nyxly was able to bring back the Clark Kent identity just like that, but then how else can you do that? At least he didn’t fly backwards around the Earth and it showed that Clark Kent is just as important as Superman. Also emblematic of the whole run so far was the fight scene between Superman and Captain Comet, not only was this a battle between two men who can lay claim to being ‘The Man Of Tomorrow’ and the different approaches each of them had, but the way in which Superman won the fight and ‘put his trust in Action’ seemed like it could be a tagline for Morrison’s take on the series and the more down to Earth Superman he’s used. Of course, this issue also showed Superman using his powers for more than Action when he read ‘every medical text ever’ to save Lois, we are seeing the transition from the Golden Age to the Silver Age Superman writ large here. I thought it was a cool choice to use Captain Comet, he’s a very obscure character and Morrison did a good job at dusting him down, I hope we see more of him. The art here was a bit of mish-mash, but Kyle Walker and CAFU did a good job at reflecting Morales’ style. Next month is the Zero Issue, I’m hoping for something very special here, Springsteen it up Grant!

Batwing #12– Batwing brings along his JLI teammates (plus Nightwing) for an assault on the awesomely-bearded Lord Battle. This issue was pretty much a big old brawl with not much else happening, but it was enjoyable, especially as we got to see Judd Winick write a significant chunk of the cast of Generation Lost once more. The way in which Lord Battle was defeated was pretty standard, he had a connection to the country and it gave him his powers, so all they had to do was drop him onto another country. It would have been good if it had been explained why he had this connection, but hey. And then at the end it was revealed that the events of much of the series have been manipulated by a new villain, King Shadow, who looks pretty cool I guess. This book continues to be good, old-school fun, and as I said, seeing Winick back on the JLI was cool. Next month’s #0 promises to reveal how Batwing joined Batman Incorporated, didn’t we already see that?

Animal Man #12– And so it begins, after a year of build-up across 2 titles, the crossover between Animal Man and Swamp Thing is here! Picking up directly where the last issue of Swamp Thing left off, Buddy and Swamp Thing team-up and head into the world of the Rot. But before that, Lemire and Snyder helpfully give us a quick recap of all of the crazy shit that’s happened to Animal Man and his family in the last 11 issues, which I found useful, although some may have found it to be an exposition overload. As well as revisiting the past, we also get a glimpse of the future, as Maxine gets an eyeful of the dystopian shit that will go down if the Rot isn’t stopped, the Flash gets killed, etc. So Animal Man and Swamp Thing are in the Rot, but as soon as that happens, some freaky Un-Men attack Abby, Ellen and Maxine, so the action is happening on Earth too. And what’s up with Cliff? The tension is too much, I don’t know if I can wait for Part Two! What’s that you say, I don’t have to…

Swamp Thing #12– Part 2 of Rotworld and Swamp Thing and Animal Man spend most of their time climbing down a freaky bone-ladder to try and get to the heart of The Rot. But no! It’s a trap, they weren’t striking when the Rot was at it’s weakest, they had been tricked by Arcane (that bastard) and that they wanted them to come, so they could attack the world freely. And in another twist, due to the vagaries of dimensional time-dilation, although to Alec and Buddy it seems like they’ve only been in The Rot for a few hours, it’s actually been a year! They get spat out and the world is totally fucking fucked. It looks like the Rotworld of the title isn’t the Rot, it’s Earth! Oh you crafty writers. This crossover has gotten off to a great start, I’m very excited to see what happens next, especially now that Poison Ivy is somehow involved. It’s just a shame that the momentum of the story is being halted somewhat by the Zero issues next month, although hopefully they’ll be filling out important back-story details that will make the events of the crossover even more meaningful. But so far, so good, we’ve all been waiting for this story since #1 of both titles, and it’s living up to expectations.

Justice League International #12– It’s the ending for this title, but strangely, it feels like a new beginning. The team heads to Russia in order to pay tribute to Rocket Red, and then they get attacked by Lightweaver’s brother, stop him, and decide not to break up, but to carry on fighting evil away from the UN. It really feels like Jurgens was expecting the book to carry on with this cast, but we won’t get to see that. This was a strange book really when you think about it, Jurgens spent 6 issues setting up a team and a status quo, then blew it up in #7, and then spent the rest building a new team and then it ends. Weird. Hopefully we’ll continue to see this team show up elsewhere (we’ve already seen them in Batwing and Stormwatch this week) and maybe they’ll get another shot eventually, there’s still the annual after all. And to top it all off, Jurgens never did what I expected by revealing Booster not to be an idiot and showing him working with Rip Hunter! What gives? Batman did mention his first meeting with Booster, maybe we’ll get to see that story, although I can’t imagine Scott Snyder using Booster in his book. Oh well, farewell JLI, we hardly knew ye, mainly because you all got killed in a suicide bomb.

Stormwatch #12– If you put aside all of the characters that have completely disappeared like Wally West and the various Batgirls, I think the character most fucked with by the DC Reboot is Martian Manhunter. He’s kicked off the JLA and sent to Stormwatch, the JLA hate his guts, and he’s basically acting like a massive douche. This issue sees him going around and erasing his existence from the minds of the rest of the team for an unexplained reason. Maybe it is just to be a dick. I wonder if is this it for J’Onn in this book, or if he’s erasing himself in order to stop Harry Tanner. Speaking of Harry, his plans just get weirder and weirder, he’s turned Fox into some kind of dimensional portal, and is sending bizarre Nefertiti heads all across Earth for some reason. Who knows what the hell he’s up too. It sounds like I’m being down on this issue, but I actually liked a lot of it, the art from Will Conrad was very good, I loved loved loved the way Milligan rationalised Midnighter’s stupid chin-spike and I found the scene where Martian Manhunter met the Shadow Council very interesting. He was in Avalon, which is of course an important setting in Demon Knights at the moment, it’s looking more and more likely that Cornell’s book is showing us the formation of Stormwatch way back in the Middle Ages, which is very cool. It’s just the treatment of J’Onn that’s annoying me, he’s being a total dick!

Dial H #4– This book just gets weirder and weirder, and I’m really enjoying it. After burning through the New Crobuzon trilogy over the last month or so, I’m taking a break from Mieville novels and reading something simpler, but this is a nice little taste of his unique style every month. The main crux of this issue is that we find out a little bit more about who Squid and Ex Nihilo are, and also what in the fuck that weird Abyss thing last issue was. It’s all very complex and weird, but it makes sense, and I liked that Squid was revealed to not be all bad. The other interesting thing here is that Nelson became a hero without using the dial. He became ‘Rescue Jack’ just by putting on a cape and getting a hammer and some spanners. It’s hard to imagine the Nelson of #1 doing that, and it’s very clever how the Dial has not just turned him into a hero on the surface level, but how it’s effected him underneath too. Was anyone else who’s read Mieville’s novels reminded of The Weaver by Abyss? They spoke in similar elliptical ways. Mateus Santolouco’s art is also getting better and better, he manages to stop everything from getting too crazy and hard to follow.

iZombie #28– The final issue of the series, and everything is wrapped up pretty nicely. The main villains, Amon and Galatea are dead, and Gwen saves the world from Xitalu. How does she do it? She strips naked, and eats him whilst growing to a humongous size. It sounds dumb, but it works, and I thought it was neat how the hot naked chick was the one destroying the tentacle-monster, not the other way around, reverse tentacle-rape or something. I’m sure Roberson hit some very weird corners of the internet with those final scenes. Gwen sacrifices herself and the rest of the issue is a little bit of epilogue, as we see what happens to everyone else, and even the dumb Apple-esque name of the series is given a reason for existing. Overall, this was a very good series, it took a lot of classic horror elements, put them in a new kind of story, developed a very interesting mythology tying them all together, and did it all alongside fun and interesting characters. I do have my problems with it, particularly with Spot becoming gay with no real explanation in the space of an issue, and I do think that it would have been better if we’d had a few more arcs of Gwen solving more normal crimes before we started the epic apocalypse arc, but given how things went down with Roberson and DC, it’s good that he was able to finish the big story and wrap things up. Allred’s artwork was fantastic on this issue as it has been throughout, he is a huge part of what made this series’ strange pop-arty tone work, and it was great to see him do something truly cosmic in this last chapter. Plus naked Gwen looked good for a zombie. And with that pervy comment, we will say goodbye to iZombie, goodbye!

Sweet Tooth #36– This is the last arc of the series, and Lemire is making it count. Gus and his friends are finally in Alaska, and the truth about what’s going on is finally revealed to them. Gus is a clone of the ancient Eskimo Gods we saw in the Taxidermist arc, and of course, he’s behind the hybrids and the sickness. Dun dun duuun! It’s crazy how well Lemire has managed to bring in this mythological back-story into the book, I was expecting this to be a sci-fi series, but it’s much more than that. Lemire seems to be in an expository mood this week, just like in Animal Man, there are a few pages here which briskly recap a lot of what’s happened so far in the series, and as well as serving an important function, they also looked beautiful as Lemire coloured them himself, which gave them a real dream-like quality. And also like Animal Man, we saw a bit of the future, and it doesn’t look good, Jepperd is looking likely to die. I also loved the scene in this issue with Bobby trying to escape from Bishop and his pack of dogs, his narration was just heart-broken, and I’m just glad he’s not dead. This book looks like having a spectacular ending, and I hope it won’t make me weep too much.

The Boys #69– I should have seen it coming, last issue’s cover star died, so it makes sense that this issue’s would to, but when Frenchie uncovered that bomb… it still shocked me. And then BOOM! Both he and The Female are dead and it’s just unbelievable how quickly Ennis has turned Billy Butcher from a likeable anti-hero to one of my most hated figures in comics. This is a trick Ennis likes to do a lot actually, he slowly showed in Preacher that Cassidy wasn’t a loveable rogue, he was a very bad man, he even had the same perspective on Frank Castle by the end, but this may be the quickest and biggest turnaround, Butcher is just terrifyingly evil. He’s not even really evil, just driven. I really don’t know how Hughie is going to stop him, but I can’t wait to see it. I also can’t wait to re-read the whole series and look for clues as to Butcher’s overall megalomaniacal plan. There’s also more than just Butcher to wrap up here, there’s Annie, and also the Vought Pair, who have started sleeping together, Jesus, how creepy was that scene at the start, his expressionless face, even whilst in bed. 3 issues left, and only 2 Boys left, it’s a fight to the finish.

Good stuff eh?

My favourite comic this week was Hawkeye #1, it was just brilliant, the coolest thing Marvel have done in a while. I would very much recommend both the comic, and the Spotify playlist David Aja made for it. Some funky-ass jazz grooves.

Join me next time for more glorious comics fun, with the likes of Batman, Gambit, Venom and Conan The Barbarian.

Written or Contributed by Niam Suggitt

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews