Tuesday, October 23, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I went splurging on trades...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 am

john lewis wrote:Yeah. I think Carey's my second favorite writer at the moment. The last issue was really good.

He actually makes Mr. Sinister scary. Any writer that can pull that off is gold in my book.

And not to mention, it's pretty much a book about Charles Xavier. Again, I never would have though a book with Charles as the lead character would be interesting, but Carey just gets it. He gets what the X-men are all about better than any writer in years.

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:59 am

eypcrew2 wrote:I'm so up and down on him. I LOVE lucifer, but I HATE his adaptation of Neverwhere.

Yeah. I don't know why Gaiman just didn't write it. (Unless he was just tired of writing that story by then.)

Eh, I just stick to the prose book by Gaiman. I love that book, actually. But, strangely, I don't like the BBC mini-series, which I believe came first.

JL_Amato

rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:59 am

I just got the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus in the mail.

That was a lot of fun.

And since the New X-Men Omnibus is long out of print I'm picking up the big TPB editions that collect like 2-3 trades at once.

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:00 am

NedPepper wrote:He gets what the X-men are all about better than any writer in years.

See, his interpretation of the X-men is exactly what bugs me. It doesn't feel like the X-men I enjoy, it feels like what the X-men were in the 90's, and I hate those X-men.

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 am

JL_Amato wrote:I just got the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus in the mail.

That was a lot of fun.

And since the New X-Men Omnibus is long out of print I'm picking up the big TPB editions that collect like 2-3 trades at once.

Go back to the years when Bendis was actually respected as a writer. I miss that Bendis. (Actually, I still get that Bendis in USM, but that's it.)

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:13 am

twoheads wrote:See, his interpretation of the X-men is exactly what bugs me. It doesn't feel like the X-men I enjoy, it feels like what the X-men were in the 90's, and I hate those X-men.

I dunno, I think he brings in all of the eras. I like it that he doesn't ignore the 90's. He takes it on, warts and all. It's become popular these days to just ignore entire eras. But Carey seems to encorporate all of the X-Men history, even the not so wonderful times.

I HATE Gambit, (he is the epitome of bad 90's X-Men) yet for some reason, Gambit driving around the dessert with Charles is just weird and wonderful to me. It's like Carey takes the crap characters on as a challenge. Hell, I hated Rogue for years (see: Gambit), but Carey made her interesting to me.

Now, X-Force is a book that seems to want dig up the 90's and revel in it.

Then again, I did most of my X-Men reading in the 90's, so I'm at least glad there are writers that are acknowledging those stories I read. It kind of bugs me when writers negate years worth of storytelling.

Truthfully, what I really want is a writer to come in and do what Grant Morrison did and take the franchise apart. Chris Claremont had a great, memorable classic run, but the X-Men need a new focus more than any other book at Marvel. Moving the team to San Fran was a start, I guess, but the franchise needs more than a new city.

They need a point for existing, I guess you could say.

But I digress.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:45 am

NedPepper wrote:Go back to the years when Bendis was actually respected as a writer. I miss that Bendis. (Actually, I still get that Bendis in USM, but that's it.)

I'd say he's pretty well respected and liked to be honest. A lot of people love his Avengers work.

John Q.

cheese

Postby John Q. » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:31 am

Yeah, in the last week i've bought; (thoughts while trying to avoid spoilers)

Astonishing X-Men book 4 - Really enjoyed it, it was a nice close to Whedon's run, and the bit with Kitty at the end, holy shit. I usually hate X-Men in space stuff but this was good.

Y; The Last Man book 10 - I liked it. It wasn't the ending i expected, and the death was what i was expecting (it had to happen), but i enjoyed it. It gave each character their end and it wasn't a giant fix-all conclusion by any means. Capped off a series of books that i've really, really enjoyed.

Captain America; Winter Soldier - I took a punt on this, as Steve Rogers has never been that interesting a character for me and i therefore don't know much about him. It was the constant praising of Bru's Cap work on here that made me take the chance on it. And yeah it's good, nice writing and the art is good, but it's slow, and i felt kinda jipped at the end, what with there not actually being a real conclusion, just a reveal. Dunno if i'll pick up the next book, but i do kinda want to see what happens next.

Joker's Last Laugh - Found this for cheap so i took a shot on it. It's okay. Has a good idea and some great moments but it was a bit scattered and inconsistent. I enjoyed it to a point, but i'm glad it was cheap.

Runaways; True Believers - Need my ongoing BKV fix now Y is over and i've been hearing good things about this series. It's quite good and has some nice foundations for ongoing plot. And it had a Teen Girl Squad reference!

Invincible book 8 - I love this series.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:43 am

John Q. wrote:
Captain America; Winter Soldier - I took a punt on this, as Steve Rogers has never been that interesting a character for me and i therefore don't know much about him. It was the constant praising of Bru's Cap work on here that made me take the chance on it. And yeah it's good, nice writing and the art is good, but it's slow, and i felt kinda jipped at the end, what with there not actually being a real conclusion, just a reveal. Dunno if i'll pick up the next book, but i do kinda want to see what happens next.

J

Keep reading Cap. It gets better. I was never a fan of Cap either until I started picking up the Winter Soldier arc. I've stuck with the title and it's easily become one of my favorites.

John Q.

cheese

Postby John Q. » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:58 am

DeadFett wrote:Keep reading Cap. It gets better. I was never a fan of Cap either until I started picking up the Winter Soldier arc. I've stuck with the title and it's easily become one of my favorites.

Yeah, i think i'll buy the next one and see how that goes.

I've complained before about the seemingly mandatory 6 issue story arc rule, but i was still kind of annoyed by the fact that there was no real conclusion in the trade, just the reveal, which i already knew about from reading other stuff.

Apart from that and the slow pace, which in my opinion is not always a bad thing in a story, but in a comic it can be hell, i quite enjoyed the book.

genetic freak

cheese

Postby genetic freak » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 am

I suggest The Goon. I really loved Morrison's Doom Patrol but one's enjoyment of it may depend on one's taste.

After just buying my very first $50 HC with the Creepy Archives. I'm now setting my eyes on the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus which clocks in at $75. I've become a masochist.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Ned, you should definitely splurge on the rest of Gotham Central and Swamp Thing. Those runs are about as good as comics get.

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:45 pm

john lewis wrote:Good picks there.

I'm hoping Legacy is released as a softcover soon.

It was solicited for November.

Do the Criminal trades collect the the stuff in the comics? I just re-read the series so far too. I hadn't read the last few issues? It's damn depressing. :D

leave a comment with facebook