Advertisement

Are comics even worth speculating on?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Do you speculate?

Yup
13%
A little
No votes
Nope
88%

Total votes : 8

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Croaker
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Croaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:23 pm

I thought I voted "a little" but I might have clicked on yes.

There are some issues that might actually be worth something someday (Civil War with Spidey unmasking for example), but all in all, no, they're not anything to speculate with.

They're great works of art and story, and you could probably unload them at some point, but I doubt most people would actually make very much money, especially when factoring in time collecting and keeping them in good condition, etc.

Advertisement

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:25 pm

Croaker wrote:I thought I voted "a little" but I might have clicked on yes.

There are some issues that might actually be worth something someday (Civil War with Spidey unmasking for example), but all in all, no, they're not anything to speculate with.

They're great works of art and story, and you could probably unload them at some point, but I doubt most people would actually make very much money, especially when factoring in time collecting and keeping them in good condition, etc.
Unless you've got something especially collectable (like a low print run or a variant, or a plot point that became popular 20 years later), most places won't buy your comics. Because they have the same thing in stock already. I tried it. It's weird. This is why, if people want their comics to gain value, they should go to the store, buy identicals, and burn them.

Or, get more people to read comics.

Croaker
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Croaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:41 pm

woznia17 wrote:Unless you've got something especially collectable (like a low print run or a variant, or a plot point that became popular 20 years later), most places won't buy your comics. Because they have the same thing in stock already. I tried it. It's weird. This is why, if people want their comics to gain value, they should go to the store, buy identicals, and burn them.

Or, get more people to read comics.

Yeah, my LCS hardly ever buys anything unless it's some variant that they know they can move.

Ebay is really the best bet for moving large loads of comics, I think. I've gotten some great deals on there, and it's a good way to get them to other collectors trying to finish runs.

I really try to get people to give comics a shot. I've gotten my wife reading them, and my friend Angela borrows Fables and Y and some other trades from me occaisonally, and she really dug Watchmen. I'm going to have her read Invisibles as soon as I get them all.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:44 pm

The History Channel just had a show on comic books, from the inception of Superman and Batman through the present. One new fact I hadn't known was that one reason why golden and silver age (mostly golden age) books were so rare (and thus valuable) was because many books were recycled for the war effort. And many silver age books had much lower print runs at first. Any modern comic will only be valuable in the short term for a very brief period. If any book is going to be worth anything, it's going to be in like 40 years.

I used to get books that were supposed to be "hot," but not because I had dreams of selling them, but because "hot" meant good. Or at least it was supposed to. Now, I get only a few books, and only because I enjoy the characters and types of stories they tell. If Xavy getsh a hold of one and tears it apart, there's a small part of me that cringes inside. But mostly I think "there's one comic Xavy won't enjoy later on. But he seems to be enjoying it plenty now."

Xavy recently went through some of the early Image comics I had laying around. He really enjoyed showing the Savage Dragon just who was more powerful.

Croaker
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Croaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:51 pm

Bob, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

:wink:

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:03 pm

kingbobb wrote:
Xavy recently went through some of the early Image comics I had laying around. He really enjoyed showing the Savage Dragon just who was more powerful.
That should be our motto.

Did they leave out where parents' through out their kids' comics in the 50s because of Dr. fuckawhatzit who said comics are horrible in his book?

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 pm

No, they went through the whole seduction of the innocent/comic code era. It was pretty thorough, and a real good overview of comic history. I think Avery Brooks narrated, and of course it had Lee, O'Neal, Perez, Didio, Quesada, just about everyone except Jim Shooter. I"m sure you can get it from the History Channel's web site.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:18 pm

kingbobb wrote:No, they went through the whole seduction of the innocent/comic code era. It was pretty thorough, and a real good overview of comic history. I think Avery Brooks narrated, and of course it had Lee, O'Neal, Perez, Didio, Quesada, just about everyone except Jim Shooter. I"m sure you can get it from the History Channel's web site.
That's the name of it. Seduction of the Innocent. Thanks.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Matters on the issue.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand