Advertisement

LITG 9/29/08

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

LITG 9/29/08

Postby GLX » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:58 am

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 605 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Re: LITG 9/29/08

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:25 am

GLX wrote:http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18264

LITG has been very lame and tame lately, what happend to the real juicy gossip or even interesting tidbits for that matter.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:28 am

Found this interesting:

Paul Maybury, artist of "Aqua Leung" has been sounding off... firstly about not receiving any writing credit for “Aqua Leung,” and for not making any money on anthologies such as the Harvey Award winning “Pop Gun” and “Comic Book Tattoo.”

Later in the comments he clarified, "Yeah, originally it was 4 single issues. I wrote issue 2 and the end of issue 1, and did over all writing on the rest of it with the other writer Mark. The credits just say "created and produced" by Mark Smith and Paul Maybury, due to the fact that the writer and I couldn't agree. When it got solicited I think it was billed as written by Mark Smith, Art by Paul Maybury, so after that every reviewer just sort of assumed."

"As far as other volumes go, I wouldn't be hopeful as the creative team has disbanded. There are a lot of great similar adventure books being published in print and online to fill the void though."

However by then an anonymous poster presumed to be “Aqua Leung” writer and current Image mainstay Mark Andrew Smith ("Amazing Joy Buzzards," "Popgun," "Kill All Parents") writes, "Paul is a terrible thief and a huge backstabber and he shouldn't be trusted at all. Working on Aqua Leung with him was the worst experience of my life and he did every single fucked up thing you could imagine on the book. There will never be anymore Aqua Leung. Paul owes me thousands of dollars as well that he just kept. Everyone you should not trust Paul at all and he's a horrible human being."

"Aqua Leung" editor Cassandra Paseley responded, "You know what Mark, there is nothing worse that a human being who thinks that he is owed something by the world and you are one of those people. You have done nothing but lie, cheat, and steal from Paul and everyone else involved in Aqua Leung. To add to that, you are so delusional that you actually believe that you could change a contract and that you can force peoples hands into getting what you want. You were offered fair compensation and you choose to turn it down because you wanted more! The bottom line is that you are a GREEDY, SELFISH person. It's true I may be Paul's girlfriend and in turn I may share a bed with him but don't doubt that it's not already known by EVERYONE what a spoiled, rotten, daddy's boy you are. GET A FUCKING LIFE!"

At which point it descends into abuse...

UPDATED: Mark Andrew Smith wrote Monday evening with the following response:

"I apologize for airing my dirty laundry and I apologize for everything I said. While I don't agree with Paul, I decided it's time to move on, but thanks to everyone for all the support on the book."

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 am

Troy wrote:LITG has been very lame and tame lately, what happend to the real juicy gossip or even interesting tidbits for that matter.

Suppose nothing much happened. It happens.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 299 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:12 pm

I dunno the Doom 2099 stuff is awesome. :P

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Crump
Hater

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Crump » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm

It's true I may be Paul's girlfriend and in turn I may share a bed with him

Yeah, I mean, there's that.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 pm

I might try LEGION.

Working at DC sounds like it really sucks.

Crump
Hater

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Crump » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Troy wrote:LITG has been very lame and tame lately, what happend to the real juicy gossip or even interesting tidbits for that matter.

this is pretty f-ing juicy, man! All about Alan Moore and Liefeld!

DISSECTING SUPREME

[Green Light]Totally managed to miss a Comicon thread a couple of months ago, in which Erik Larsen, Steve Bissette and Rick Vietch dissect Rob Liefeld, Alan Moore and Supreme.

How could I have missed it?

A few highlights...

Rick Veitch: "Alan had two more issues planned (and maybe one written) of the second year which Checker published unfinished as "The Return". From there Alan had planned a third year where SUPREME travels into the Supremium meteor that gave him his powers."

Comiconposter ‘steel A Long Departed Hero’: "Moore had plots for a New Gods riff and a battle between the Supremacy and Daxia. Would have been cool, but oh, well. We got some good stuff from the guy."

Rick Veitch: "But we creators had been promised a royalty deal on the collections. Whatever Liefeld's deal was with Checker, we were cut out. I was in touch with Checker after they picked up the rights and offered to talk with Alan about finishing the second book. They instead chose to rush into print with an unfinished story and horrible reproduction.

"Instead of paying industry standard royalties to creators, Checker chose to use the substantial profits of the two Supreme collections to build their imprint.

"the best way to get the SUPREME stuff is seek out the original issues in the quarter bins. Repro is great and you could probably put together a complete set for less than a Checker trade. Don't worry about Alan and I-- we'll be fine. We did the material because we loved it and want people to enjoy it even if Liefeld's a dick."

Erik Larsen: "The way it was explained to me Alan Moore was willing to edit and assist and possibly co-plot the "third season" of Supreme but he wanted Steve Moore (no relation) to write it.

"That was what readers missed out on.

"Steve Moore wrote some of the ABC stuff over at Wildstorm. I don't recall it making a huge splash….

"The reason Rob stopped publishing Supreme was because it wasn't making money. That, and Alan's proposal of having others write it meant that sales weren't likely to go up. It could very well be that Rob was in the hole on Supreme and that the Checker money helped pay off some of that debt. That doesn't excuse him from not telling people what's going on--but it's a possible scenario."

Rick: "The reason Rob stopped publishing SUPREME was his whole company went down the shitter. I believe the book was selling around 40,000 at the time and the creators were keeping to the schedule. Alan was so happy doing the work (even putting up with chronic late payment) that he created the ABC line around the Supreme creative team as soon as Awesome collapsed.

"Where'd you hear that bit about handing Supreme off to others? I was involved with Alan's plotting of the third year arc and I never heard that from him. Like I said above: he loved SUPREME.

"I'd love to know what Rob got from Checker for the tpb rights. Once I figured out a deal was going on, I was in touch with the Checker guys, hoping to finish the second book and make sure the creators got a fair piece. But they chose to go for the low quality and quick buck. They didn't even scan from the printed comics, but instead worked with some bad jpegs Rob gave them. Profits from the SUPREME collections essentially built Checker."

Erik: "From Rob--he did the accent and everything--it was pretty fun to listen to. I'm not sure when that would have been exactly.

"Well, like you said--Rob's company did go away--it may have been by the time Alan was working on the ABC stuff. If that was the case it could have been one of those too-much-time-has-gone-by-and-I-no-longer-have-the-same-enthusiasm-for-the-project cases. Same thing happened in a sense--to 1963. I called Alan about that at one point after he and Steve Bissette had a falling out and its time had passed--Alan didn't want to have anything to do with it."

Rick: "Well, there y'go.

"You've worked with Rob long enough to know that he runs his business like Alice In Wonderland, right?

"The 1963 situation is completely different from SUPREME and shouldn't be spun to defend Rob.

"Do you still share an office with Eric Stephenson? He was editor of SUPREME and could probably enlighten us all to how events went down."

No further comments for a couple of months sadly...

In a related turn of events, Steve Bissette: added "on a related topic, be sure to check out the chapters on Marvelman/Miracleman and Medieval Spawn & Angela in the upcoming "PRINCE OF STORIES: THE MANY WORLDS OF NEIL GAIMAN" (November from St. Martin's Press) for the most comprehensive and current coverage I could muster on both situations."

Yeah. I'll be down for that.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1092 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Crump wrote:this is pretty f-ing juicy, man! All about Alan Moore and Liefeld!

Oh yes. :-D

I loved those comics.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand