Monday, October 22, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Tom Brennan's worst nightmare."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

10/22/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials...le Spoils!!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I haven't read BoP yet, so I skipped that one, but Chap you are DEAD on when it comes to the other two. Final Crisis just blows and SI, to my surprise, has delighted me!

And YEAH! HAWKEYE! :-D

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:55 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Just finished Cap. I've never read Cap prior to Bru writing the book and enjoyed Batroc.

Not really a fan of the Bucky/Nat thing...

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:37 am

GratefulFred wrote:Just finished Cap. I've never read Cap prior to Bru writing the book and enjoyed Batroc.

that's b/c Georges is full of awesome.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:38 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Not really a fan of the Bucky/Nat thing...

me either. and i wish Marvel would decide whether her name is Natalia or Natasha.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 am

chap22 wrote:me either. and i wish Marvel would decide whether her name is Natalia or Natasha.

Betcha the baddie is Yellow Claw

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:00 am

chap22 wrote:me either. and i wish Marvel would decide whether her name is Natalia or Natasha.

Yeah that bugged me because she's always been Natasha to me. I was very please to Bartoc Ze Leaper again. He's comics best Frenchman.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Betcha the baddie is Yellow Claw

that is my MOST sincere hope. :-D

and in that vein, my last two reviews for the week:

TRINITY 21 -- nice origin story for the anti-matter universe Riddler, Despero revealed to actually be kanjar ro in disguise (which has mucked up Morgaine's spell a bit), and a solid back-up featuring Firestorm and John Stewart; i continue to love this book

CAPTAIN AMERICA 43 -- I'm torn here: this whole Bucky-Natasha thing is not my cuppa, Bucky bores me already as Cap, and the Winter Soldier flashbacks and guilt do nothing for me; OTOH, the art's still great even under Ross, Batroc kicks all kinds of ass, and if that last scene means a return/revamp of the Yerrow Craw ( :D ), then Bru gets a little longer temporary pass until Steve returns; liked it, but i still say this book peaked with 21st Century Blitz and has slowly declined ever since

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:56 am

I totally agree about Trinity, lots of fun this week.

I loved Cap though. This looks to be a fun story, even if it spoils the ending of SI a little (they mention the battle in SI and it's pretty clear the Skrulls haven't taken over New York or the Earth or killed all the heroes with their Wasp bomb). Overall I like Bucky as Cap and am interested in seeing it play out.

I also really enjoyed Daredevil this week. The Hand are seeking out an old master, they attack Danny Rand and The Black Tarantula, and we get some good fights and nice fallout of the two big events from last issue. The reason for Matt's guilt is perfect for his character and I'm enjoying the story going on here.

The start of the miniseries explaining how Danny Ketch ended up working for the angel that is trying to take over Heaven had a good start. They set up the status quo of the non-powered Danny, then had Zadkiel offer him limited power, and he passed their test. We also got a nice short history of Danny that was fun. I can't wait to see this play out, although I'm not totally sold on this series yet and a really bad second issue could make me drop it since Aaron is kicking so much ass on the main title and we'll probably get enough info over there to get by. Good issue, but not great.

Blue Beetle is clearly in great hands right now. At first I was a bit worried that maybe it wasn't going to live up to the previous levels, but after a nice handful of issues I've lost any fears I previously had. The biggest strength of this book is the supporting cast and they really shined in this issue. Whether it was Jaime's dad with a shotgun and cane, Traci with carrots and Admiral Ackbar quoting skills, or Paco and Brenda with wonderful banter, the supporting cast really shined in this issue. Plus we get to see the origin of the new Dr Polaris and we get some fun action. This is truly one of the best books around and I really hope it gets enough readers to stick around for a long long time. Jaime and his supporting cast are some of the best characters created in the last 10 years and are at least on a level with groups like The Runaways or Young Avengers. More people should be reading this book.

Speaking of the Runaways, the issue this week continues the trend of being good and in character without being great. I really love this group and it seems the writer has a much better grip on the characters than Whedon did (I know the delays hurt it, but he just didn't seem to write the characters with their unique voices). That said, the story isn't really grabbing me and I'm not loving it quite as much as I think I should be. I'd also like to point out that while I don't thing that Ramos is perfect on every book, he is perfect on this one. His exaggerated cartoony style fits these characters like a glove.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 am

If it is Yellow Claw as the new baddie, I hope we see Bucky team up with Jimmy Woo and the Agents of Atlas.

leave a comment with facebook