Advertisement

10/29/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials...le Spoils!!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 83 posts

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:02 pm

for clarity's sake, i feel i should point out that in the Teen Titans review, " and all this exposition and gov't mystery stuff to convince me she's liable just ain't working" should read viable, not liable. spell-check didn't catch that one, and it makes a bit of a difference. :-D
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:17 pm

chap22 wrote:for clarity's sake, i feel i should point out that in the Teen Titans review, " and all this exposition and gov't mystery stuff to convince me she's liable just ain't working" should read viable, not liable. spell-check didn't catch that one, and it makes a bit of a difference. :-D

Well, look at Mr. Grammar over here. :P

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 577 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm

I enjoyed the Rage speacial too, but not as much as the Sinestro special they released with the big splash of all the baddies at the end. It was good, but there was no WTFwow moment at the end.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 83 posts

Postby misac » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Fixed it.

I read DC mostly through trades and I hope the Red Lanterns special gets collected.

Now that you're starting to like Foreman, I'm starting to dislike him. :D I haven't read #19 yet but I thought the art in #18 was bad at parts.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:43 pm

misac wrote:Fixed it.

I read DC mostly through trades and I hope the Red Lanterns special gets collected.

Now that you're starting to like Foreman, I'm starting to dislike him. :D I haven't read #19 yet but I thought the art in #18 was bad at parts.

oh, i HATED it in 17 and 18. it just looked a little better this issue.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Couldn't agree more on all three stories. Foreman's art looked better, but I still don't like it. The story in Iron Fist is fucking awesome though and I love the way his supporting cast is being used and hope to see both the Heroes for Hire and the Immortal Weapons showing up on a regular basis. The Red Lantern book was fucking amazing (the cat was awesome), and I'm really glad it barely connected to Final Crisis. Really it shouldn't have had FC in the title and is required reading if you are reading GL, it should have been listed as an Annual or something. Lastly, I totally agree on the Teen Titans. There was some fun stuff, especially with Cass, but the Bombshell stuff just didn't work for me. Justice League was good fun and seems to be teasing a big story for somewhere down the road.

I also read Reign in Hell, which had an interesting reveal of who was imprisoned. I didn't think Giffen had a desire to return to that character, so despite the tease on the cover I thought it was going a different way. I'm enjoying this series, but not as much as I thought I would.

Trinity was fun, but I really want to see the Trinity get back some time soon.

Nova continues to be one of the best books on the stands as well as one of the most fun. "Quasar Smash!'. Great tie-in with SI and a wonderful job of setting up future stories in this title as well. That last page is a great WTF moment.

Speaking of awesome lines, Herc saying to Namor "Check Thyself!" and the recap being a heavily edited famous Greek poem was fucking hilarious. Great story and a very interesting usage of the Amazons. Loved the take on Namor and his cousin. I would love to see them written more by Pak in a miniseries or in the pages of this book. Another great issue.

Last up, I'd just like to mention that SI:Thor wrapped up with the kind of beatdown and friendship you expect to see in a book about Thor. Anyone that thinks a film version has no chance of working, since Thor doesn't work in a real world setting should read this book. As long as Donald Blake is used in an intelligent way like this, it actually makes perfect sense. The biggest obstacle is the costume, but if you make Thor this much of an ass kicking badass motherfucker, you are going to succeed.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:34 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I enjoyed the Rage speacial too, but not as much as the Sinestro special they released with the big splash of all the baddies at the end. It was good, but there was no WTFwow moment at the end.
to me the appearance of blue lantern was that....but nowhere near the level of superboy prime, cyborg superman, parallax and the anti-monitor all united.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 577 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Quasar smash is gonna be my moment of the week.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 am

my last two:

Trinity 22 -- we've been what? 4, 5 issues now with no sign of the Big 3...and this book still isn't slowing down; i loved the Prince Khufu segment in this issue (best art I've seen from McDaniel in a while), and the alternate present stuff was fun again too; love this book

Madame Xanadu 5 -- more of the same historical snapshots from Wagner, Headley & Co., as this issue the madame is seer to Queen Marie Antoinette; as usual, the Phantom Stranger shows up, shit goes bad, and the Madame needs to flee; i' still enjoying this book, and the art is gorgeous, but i think i'm going to trades on this one soon; it just feels ike a book that will read better in that format; liked it

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 am

This weeks comics were pretty good all round, Rage of the Red Lanterns was brilliant, a great return to form after the verily underwhelming Secret Origins arc, hope it keeps up. Amazing Spider-man was a case of superb writing with sub-par art but even for Bachalo the art wasn't as bad as i usually find it and i wouldn't expect anything less than good from Joe Kelly. The Annual however was a bit of a mess and the Jackpot revelation was needlessly complicated and unsatisfying.

Another week of great SI tie-ins with Avengers: Initiative effectively showing the scope of this invasion whilst Nova is entertaining as always and Thor is sufficiently epic though the art went from absolutely gorgeous to in desperate need of an inker.

Marvel Apes and Incredible Herc were fun with Herc getting the edge of the too with the only interaction between Herc and Cho being laugh out loud and more Namor which is always a good thing.

Thor was moving but strange and i'm tired of JMS dealing with politics however as usual great art and some interesting scenes between Loki and Balder make it enjoyable. Finally Captain America: Operation Zero Point was a standard war time Cap story which shined thanks to some great writing by the Knaufs and some varying but good art from Breitweiser.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand