Advertisement

i keep getting logged out

Having a problem accessing the Outhouse? Drop a line and let us know.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

i keep getting logged out

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 pm

i tick the little box on the login screen, i cleared my cookies and cache but i keep getting logged out when accessing the site again after a while and i need to keep logging back in :(

any suggestions?

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 am

Here's why this happens:

When we move servers, all the website files and databases get transferred to the new server. The domain address, however, www.theouthousers.com, is hosted at a domain registrar (all domains are). The way domain transfers work is that the information that tells your browser what server to go to for that domain is passed down through everybody's internet service providers around the world. This process can take 24-48 hours. So, when you go to www.theouthousers.com, it sends you directly to this server, but someone else might still be getting sent to the old server. The way around this is that the site, here on this server, has a temporary address:
http://theouthousers.medialayer.net

This way, anyone who is still getting sent to the old server can be redirected here to this one via the temporary address.

Now, the forum needs to know what it's own address is to operate. It needs to know how to create the topic pages and everything else. If we set the forum address to www.theouthousers.com while some people are still being sent to the old server with this address, it would create an endless loop where as soon as they logged in it sent them back to the old server, which sent them back here, where they would have to log in again, which would send them back to the old server, and so on and so forth.

So instead, we set the forum address to http://theouthousers.medialayer.net so that everyone, when logged in, gets served right from this server. Now, if the domain change has already gone through, and www.theouthousers.com already sends you directly here to this server, then when you log in, it is going to redirect you to http://theouthousers.medialayer.net at which point the site believes you just got here again. Then when you log in, you stay logged in.

If you just come to http://theouthousers.medialayer.net straight off, you won't have to log in twice, but logging in twice is better than having people who have slow ISP domain nameserver changes get stuck in an endless loop and not be able to log in at all.

Regardless, by tomorrow morning, it should have been enough time for the change to go through for everyone, so I will then change the forum address back to www.theouthousers.com and the problem will be eliminated for everyone.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:54 pm

thanks for explaining the situation jude :)

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:19 pm

I still get logged out.

both made by Cat-Scratch

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

weird, problem stopped for me so im betting the server thing should be resolved.. could be a cookie issues so try clearing that and the cache....that usually works for me when sites do that to me.

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:16 pm

I re-add outhouse to my favorites and got it fix.

both made by Cat-Scratch

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Bugs and Fixes