Advertisement

New Youngblood Series?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


New Youngblood Series?

Postby Doc Jon » Tue May 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Anyone reading this?

I just finished issue 3 and I have to say, I'm a bit bored. I know it can take a new series a while to get going, but there is entirely too much exposition in this new series for my tastes.

Also, the 'reality tv' thing seems forced. I can see the government creating menaces for ratings, but not being so obvious about it. It just doesn't ring true for me.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Advertisement

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 7903
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed May 14, 2008 7:43 am

This is by Joe Casey, right? I was tempted to get it because I really like the Youngblood team, but if they went the reality tv show route I don't know if I'd be that interested.

Obviously, I'm already not THAT interested since I'm not getting it yet. ;) I think the last YB I got was the Moore/Skroce stuff from Awesome. That was some great work that I wish had been allowed to continue. Right off the top of my head I'd love to see someone like Adam Kubert on the book (yes, it'd come out three times a year but it'd be some great visual work). Get some stylish talent on the book and mix it with a good colorist and I'd be excited again.
Image

blagblag
Designer Interactive
 
Posts: 606
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:16 pm


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby blagblag » Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 am

I read it every month and I feel the same way. Nowhere NEAR as exciting as it should be.

I'm REALLY hoping this Reallity TV thing gets ditched before long. I know Youngblood has always had this "media" aspect to it, but I don't like reality tv in general, so why would I want to read a comic book that plays on that idea?

I can't say I'm terribly fond of the characters being featured either or the way certain characters are being utilized. If there was only going to be six characters picked for ths roster, i don't think Johnny Panic, Doc Rocket, and Cougar should have made the cut. And I hate what they've done with Diehard. Diehard was badass in the original YB mini and YB Strikefile 1-3. That's the Diehard I want to see, and I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way.

And whatever this "alien" subplot is leading to doesn't interest me at all. If it turns out to be some alien planet that needs to be saved from destruction or some other cliched plot I'm going to hate it.

With all that being said, I am still enjoying the book a little bit and sticking with it in the hopes that it picks up some steam and gets really interesting.

Does anyone else feel like Extreme Studios was really kicking ass for it's first couple years and then sometime around right after Extreme Sacrifice, everything just started being more and more of a letdown? I keep hoping Rob is going to put out something that really recaptures those years but it never happens.

blagblag
Designer Interactive
 
Posts: 606
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:16 pm


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby blagblag » Wed May 14, 2008 7:55 am

SuperginraiX wrote: I think the last YB I got was the Moore/Skroce stuff from Awesome. That was some great work that I wish had been allowed to continue.


The Alan Moore Youngblood stuff was written real well, but it just wasn't Youngblood to me. It was just an Alan Moore story that happened to use Youngblood characters.

scottmdavis
User avatar
Factor 8
 
Posts: 437
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 pm


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby scottmdavis » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am

haha, I said that after reading #2 Jon.

It is way too slow moving.
[center]Image[/center]

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby Doc Jon » Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 am

SuperginraiX wrote:This is by Joe Casey, right? I was tempted to get it because I really like the Youngblood team, but if they went the reality tv show route I don't know if I'd be that interested.

Obviously, I'm already not THAT interested since I'm not getting it yet. ;) I think the last YB I got was the Moore/Skroce stuff from Awesome. That was some great work that I wish had been allowed to continue. Right off the top of my head I'd love to see someone like Adam Kubert on the book (yes, it'd come out three times a year but it'd be some great visual work). Get some stylish talent on the book and mix it with a good colorist and I'd be excited again.


The art is actually fantastic in the series. Donovan is very talented and reminds me a lot of Skroce. The colors are nice and bright as well.

I don't like the way he draws Cougar and Badrock. Cougar looks like he's missing his jaw and Badrock looks like he's always grinning, regardless of the situation. That being said, the art is still awesome.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby Doc Jon » Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am

dick buff wrote:I read it every month and I feel the same way. Nowhere NEAR as exciting as it should be.

I'm REALLY hoping this Reallity TV thing gets ditched before long. I know Youngblood has always had this "media" aspect to it, but I don't like reality tv in general, so why would I want to read a comic book that plays on that idea?

I can't say I'm terribly fond of the characters being featured either or the way certain characters are being utilized. If there was only going to be six characters picked for ths roster, i don't think Johnny Panic, Doc Rocket, and Cougar should have made the cut. And I hate what they've done with Diehard. Diehard was badass in the original YB mini and YB Strikefile 1-3. That's the Diehard I want to see, and I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way.

I agree with most of this. I like Doc Rocket and Johnny Panic, but they're not being utilized very well so far.


And whatever this "alien" subplot is leading to doesn't interest me at all. If it turns out to be some alien planet that needs to be saved from destruction or some other cliched plot I'm going to hate it.


Yeah, I'll wait and see where this goes, but I haven't been terribly enthused by it.


Does anyone else feel like Extreme Studios was really kicking ass for it's first couple years and then sometime around right after Extreme Sacrifice, everything just started being more and more of a letdown? I keep hoping Rob is going to put out something that really recaptures those years but it never happens.


There were very good and very bad things in the first couple years of Extreme. I think Rob had some really cool ideas, but never took the time to develop many of them. Bloodstrike, for example. It was like the Suicide Squad, but never really developed into anything before it was replaced by a singular character called Bloodstrike. I didn't mind the change so much, but it just never seemed that either concept got a firm footing.

Brigade started off as just another team. I have to say this was the least focused of Rob's ideas. This went through major team changes and also never had a stable run.

This seemed to happen a lot in the Extreme Universe. It seems as if Rob liked an idea and would launch a book, but then decide to change it 6 months down the line. While it did create excitement, a lot of the surprises seemed to be surprises just for the sake of having them. It started to get wearisome after a while.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

blagblag
Designer Interactive
 
Posts: 606
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:16 pm


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby blagblag » Wed May 14, 2008 11:26 am

jsalwen wrote:
There were very good and very bad things in the first couple years of Extreme. I think Rob had some really cool ideas, but never took the time to develop many of them. Bloodstrike, for example. It was like the Suicide Squad, but never really developed into anything before it was replaced by a singular character called Bloodstrike. I didn't mind the change so much, but it just never seemed that either concept got a firm footing.

Brigade started off as just another team. I have to say this was the least focused of Rob's ideas. This went through major team changes and also never had a stable run.

This seemed to happen a lot in the Extreme Universe. It seems as if Rob liked an idea and would launch a book, but then decide to change it 6 months down the line. While it did create excitement, a lot of the surprises seemed to be surprises just for the sake of having them. It started to get wearisome after a while.


Yeah the Bloodstrike changeover happened as a result of Extreme Sacrifice. It really pissed me off and is representative of why I quit collecting comic books back then (at the time, I was collecting pretty much exclusively Extreme Studios books). Great concepts, little to no followthrough, and then characters would get wiped out with little fanfare. I started to feel really cheated, because the first couple years, it felt like everything was interconnected and that Rob and the guys had really elaborate plans for the future. But when everything was constantly getting "revamped", it became clear there really was no plan and they were just throwing shit at the wall.

Not to mention there never seemed to be any good runs on the books. An awesome artist would do a book for 4-5 issues at most, and then get replaced with somebody else, usually inferior. That's probably not entirely true, but that's the way it seemed to me.

I really feel like if Rob had just kept some consistency in his core titles and also not dumped out a bunch of miniseries and spin offs and new books, that he would have easily survived the market crash and would still be succesful today.

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: New Youngblood Series?

Postby Doc Jon » Wed May 14, 2008 11:30 am

The problem is that new issues sold so well back then.

Every company wanted a new #1 on the shelves every week. I'm not saying Rob was the only one who did it, but he put out a lot of number 1's, without a lot of followthrough. I definitely agree that 3-4 consistent books with real talent would have been better than trying to be MarvelExtreme and trying to publish a dozen books.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Agent of the Bat, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 82 guests

Advertisement