Advertisement

My Ultimate Goal web comic wise.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

My Ultimate Goal web comic wise.

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 pm

I'd like to have 5 different web comics/serials going as weekly updates occupying 5 days a week. So that way there's something hopefully for everyone.

My theory, and please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong is to get a stockpile of 10-20 strips/pages of each done already in the can before even launching. That way season one is already done while work on season 2 beings. Also for potential printing purposes and collection of volumes.

I can't draw all 5 properties myself of course, not enough time with working 2 jobs, going to school and family, not to mention spank wank time. (believe me it's harder than it seems!).

So I figured if I could get a couple of artists to draw what I script, and maybe a capable team of colorists/letterers and web people it'd make the work load alot more well oiled.

Does this make sense?

The second step if I were to conquer this first trial and task would be to maybe offer up behind the scenes material sorta like youtube and video featurettes to keep people interested in between lag time for the strips, also if some type of tutorial thing would spin out of it that wouldn't be a bad idea.

the last hopeful venture I'd like to be apart of is people's submission/industry efforts chronicled. What they pitched, who rejected it, what the letter said, why, and where did they go wrong. Think, PitchWorld.com (which is taken already), and if this led real industry pro's to our corner and offer feedback on how to polish up our subs and pitches even great. Consolidate man, consolidate.

So that's my hopeful goal. I'm not exactly sure how to get there, but since I've been here visiting and seen you all get your guns going, I figure you all would be a good group to wax to. Hell maybe I can fail upwards ya dig?

Advertisement

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Re: My Ultimate Goal web comic wise.

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:58 pm

That's very ambitious. I think it would be great, but it can be difficult to have several creative teams going.

What I would recommend is to work on a couple strips, not 5. 2, maybe 3 at the most. I think 5 strips with 4 or so creative teams would drive you crazy. People will probably flake on you as well, so you have to plan on that. I would consolidate the idea a little and start a little smaller. You can always expand if it's working.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:14 pm

jsalwen wrote:That's very ambitious. I think it would be great, but it can be difficult to have several creative teams going.

What I would recommend is to work on a couple strips, not 5. 2, maybe 3 at the most. I think 5 strips with 4 or so creative teams would drive you crazy. People will probably flake on you as well, so you have to plan on that. I would consolidate the idea a little and start a little smaller. You can always expand if it's working.

good advice.

I'm trying to get two artists guys on board for two different strips. The other two strips I'd do myself.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 778 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:00 am

My best advice would be to do one strip yourself for a while, release it consistently, and get its name out there. When people see you as someone who produces good work on a consistent basis, they will be jumping all over each other to work with you. Lots of people on the internet have ideas, great ideas even, but many people will sadly never produce anything out of those ideas and instead just hang around on various message boards and talk about it, and I think a lot of that has to do with people wanting to have a finished product, to meet their goals, without putting in the tedious work it takes to get there. We've been doing Blud Blood here for over a year now, and we're finally at the point where we have a pretty good amount of strips, our name is kinda out there, the characters in JALB have grown from being used as tools to parody other stuff to really having lives of their own and writing themselves, and we've got people who want to work with us, posting columns and web comics on the front page. Still, we're nowhere near where we would like to be (not that we aren't happy with what we're doing). We want to have a Blud Blood comic book out there, we want to have the anthology books out there showcasing other artists and writers, we'd like to have our own little creator-owned publishing thing here, helping out other aspiring creators in our little very minor leagues here to get their work finished and out there. I also wouldn't mind if we made enough money to pay for this website every month, and allow us to print up copies of the anthologies and buy a table at some cons. So we have a long way to go, but I'm thrilled with how far we've gotten so far.

So anyway, I'm not trying to act like I'm some kind of big success or anything (I know we're very small-time, even though Pedi does slum it with us. Take a look at that guy's portfolio in the art boards if you want to see some accomplishments. :) ), but we're getting a little better every day, and I think that's because we take it one step at a time. So if you've got five great ideas for webcomics, that's awesome, but start by writing and drawing one webcomic. Remember, we've got a three-man team on JALB and we still miss a week here and there. Do it in seasons, like we do. Once you complete a certain amount of episodes, start running them, here, your own site, posting them on message boards. Then while you're running that, work on the first season of the next strip. When the first strip runs out, start running the second one and go back to working on the first. I guarantee that by that time, you'll have people begging to work on your other strips. People want to work with proven commodities, so if you show that you are a person who gets stuff done, they will want to work with you.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:39 pm

JudeTerror wrote:So anyway, I'm not trying to act like I'm some kind of big success or anything (I know we're very small-time, even though Pedi does slum it with us. Take a look at that guy's portfolio in the art boards if you want to see some accomplishments. :) )

My accomplishments ain't diddly, compared to people who've really made it. I'm just struggling to get ahead like the next guy... :'(

This ain't no slum, brotha... you guys are up-n-comers with a vengeance. I enjoy your company here, and plan to hang around for as long as I'm welcome... :)

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

We've only ever asked one person to leave these boards. I highly doubt we'd do that to you.

You could hate Blud Blood, and we really wouldn't care. This site is about getting artists recognized, and I truly hope we can get you some press when the time comes.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum