Advertisement

Big swaths of black with splotches of white

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Liked in: 0 post

Big swaths of black with splotches of white

Postby blagblag » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm

When you're inking or penciling, how do you make a big area of black, with little specks/circles/splotches of white? It's of course very easy to have a big area of white, with specks of black, since paper is white to begin with but I've never been sure about vice versa.

An example: http://bp2.blogger.com/_wEgSLTXSjNo/SEsrFZbEN5I/AAAAAAAAEdE/sD0vVoPeYrk/s1600-h/spring2.jpg

See where there's big areas of black with little details of white? Do you first go in and ink solid black and then use white paint or something to add the white back in? I assume that's the only logical way to do it but I felt like I should ask in case there was some technique I hadn't considered.

What about if you're going to be leaving something as just pencils? Should you add the white spots with an eraser or do you painstakingly just try to fill in the pencils and leave little spots unpenciled?

Advertisement

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Re: Big swaths of black with splotches of white

Postby blagblag » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 pm

answer me you baaaaaaastaaaaaaaaards!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:20 am

There are different methods, but I'm the masochist sort. I just carefully leave white dots while I ink. This is a crappy way to do it though and I don't recommend it.

I've seen people use whiteout on black inked ares.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Dick, sorry, I didn't see this.......

Frankly, there is no "way" about it. It's whatever you want to do, to get the look you envision. You just need to think about it. All the ways you asked about are actual techniques, but each one can result in a different look, depending on how you go about doing it. Also, any technique can be made to ultimately look like a specific style....... but some techniques are easier/faster in accomplishing a specific style. It depends on the style you seek to achieve. Each artist has his own way. Old school Jay Lee inks vs. Scott Williams inks..... totaly different technique and style, but both achieving the same result -- finished inked art................. a taste for style is a matter of personal opinion........ Any technique you use to achieve a final result, is a valid technique that has been used by countless other artists over the history of time. IN short, there is no right or wrong way..... make your own way......... every way is the way............. all ways lead to Art.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 pm

pedi wrote:Dick, sorry, I didn't see this.......

Frankly, there is no "way" about it. It's whatever you want to do, to get the look you envision. You just need to think about it. All the ways you asked about are actual techniques, but each one can result in a different look, depending on how you go about doing it. Also, any technique can be made to ultimately look like a specific style....... but some techniques are easier/faster in accomplishing a specific style. It depends on the style you seek to achieve. Each artist has his own way. Old school Jay Lee inks vs. Scott Williams inks..... totaly different technique and style, but both achieving the same result -- finished inked art................. a taste for style is a matter of personal opinion........ Any technique you use to achieve a final result, is a valid technique that has been used by countless other artists over the history of time. IN short, there is no right or wrong way..... make your own way......... every way is the way............. all ways lead to Art.

You're like our very own Phil Jackson.

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:55 pm

jsalwen wrote:You're like our very own Phil Jackson.

Don't ever use a sports reference when referring to me again! ;)

I had to look up the name on wikipedia to know who the f*ck he was.... I am a sports retard.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:10 pm

pedi wrote:
jsalwen wrote:You're like our very own Phil Jackson.

Don't ever use a sports reference when referring to me again! ;)

I had to look up the name on wikipedia to know who the f*ck he was.... I am a sports retard.

I figured anyone who spent that much time on Rob's forum would have heard of him. My bad.

Very well.

You're like our very own Mister Miyagi.

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Why can't I just be the Fonz...??? >:(

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 pm

I was looking for a Zen Master type of example.

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:19 pm

OK.... then we'll settle on the Zen Master, Winnie the Pooh... ;)

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Postby blagblag » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know who Phil Jackson was either. But I never watch basketball except for some college basketball if its the finals or something.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner