Advertisement

Any simple Comic lettering tutorials for Photoshop 7.0

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Any simple Comic lettering tutorials for Photoshop 7.0

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 pm

I can tell that I'm gonna need to take this shit to another level. So I'll be hand lettering my stuff but I'd like to go over with some nicer lettering.

Keep it simple if you can, I'm special.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Any simple Comic lettering tutorials for Photoshop 7.0

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Here's a really simple one - use Illustrator. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Honestly, Illustrator is much better for lettering. HOWEVER if you MUST use photoshop, you do this:

Add your lettering. If your going with traditional circular bubbles, you want to remember to put the lettering in a diamond shape, with short lines on top and longer ones in the middle so that it fits nicely into the shape.

Another good thing to remember is that you can use more than one bubble, so don't try to squeeze something into one big bubble.

Once you've got your letters placed, use the oval selection tool to make your bubble. You can draw the bubble with the selection tool and then shift it around with the arrow keys (keep the tool selected) to make sure it fits. In Photoshop, unlike Illustrator, it's probably easier to just keep redrawing it until you get it the right size instead of trying to transform it.

Once you have your bubble, use the polygonal(?) selection tool (the one that selects by using points sort of like a pen tool) while holding shift to add the pointer to your bubble.

Once the bubble and pointer are both selected (and you are on a new layer just for bubbles, which should be between the art and letters layers), go to edit-fill and fill it in with white, then edit-stroke and put a black stroke around it.

Then go buy a copy of illustrator.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:15 pm

What's the best way to scan and set up a page in illustrator if I wanted to try the lettering in there?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner