Frag It wrote:
1) Why do Westerners use chopsticks when they eat Asian food? Don't get me wrong, certain foods fall apart when using a fork like sushi, but do you really need to eat sesame chicken with chopsticks? Give me a fork and let me eat my food.
I don't get it.
2) I like sushi, but it is the Obama of food. If you say you don't like it, someone will bite your head off (for all you conservatives on the board
Is there a more pretentious food than sushi? It's good on occasion, but give me a nice juicy burger or pizza.
I laugh at all the morons who get sushi as a fast food meal at lunch. You see them struggling with their chopsticks while they balance their uncooked fish on their laps. Just give me a sandwich.
1) i'm pretty sure the sushi people are not forcing you to use chopsticks. use chopsticks, use a fork, use your fingers, use whatever. it's your choice. why complain about others choosing to use chopsticks? shouldn't they be as free to make up their own minds on their choice of utensils?
2) sushi is just food. it can't be pretentious. you are thinking of the qualities of a subset of the people who enjoy sushi, and then overreaching. there are plenty of folks who simply enjoying eating sushi and who wouldn't be characterized as pretentious. you know. because sushi is just food.
3) it's really not all that hard to learn to use chopsticks. it's a skill that's taught to children, which in and of itself says something of the difficulty level we're dealing with here. you make it sound as if using chopsticks was on par with, say, number theory. as people get older, some are curious about other cultures and new ideas, and enjoy learning new things, even if they can already do things one way. that's generally considered a good thing. why laugh at people struggling with chopsticks? they will eventually learn it if they have enough dedication to see it through. and they can always quit if they feel frustrated enough. no big deal. i see it as a sign of progress that some folks are willing to even learn an alternative utensil to the one they were raised on. this shouldn't need defending. what a crazy forked up world.