Advertisement

The Dresden Files

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42866
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


The Dresden Files

Postby nietoperz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:15 pm

I know this isn't exactly hot news, but damn are these books good! I only discovered them a couple of months back, and so am still only on Summer Knight, but I have to say that Harry Dresden may well be my new favourite fictional character, bar none.

I know we have some other fans here (after all, it was here that I first heard about these books), so what say you guys?
Image

Advertisement

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Dresden fucking rocks and the books only get better and better. When I first picked up the first book, I didn't expect it would be anything other than a way to pass some time. But I'm hooked. I even enjoyed the Welcome to the Jungle comic.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Postby Zenguru » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I haven't picked up these books. But now that DC and Marvel are doing everything they can to make me hate them, I may take a peek at them soon.

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42866
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Strict31 wrote:Dresden fucking rocks and the books only get better and better. When I first picked up the first book, I didn't expect it would be anything other than a way to pass some time. But I'm hooked. I even enjoyed the Welcome to the Jungle comic.


It's worth checking out, then?

And that's exactly how I feel about them. I picked up the first one expecting it to be something that just passed the time, but it hooked me - and the series does get even better with every book.
Image

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 pm

nietoperz wrote:It's worth checking out, then?

And that's exactly how I feel about them. I picked up the first one expecting it to be something that just passed the time, but it hooked me - and the series does get even better with every book.


Yeah. The art isn't stellar, but really, since Butcher's writing, I wasn't picking the series up for the art. But my LCS screwed up and forgot to put issue 2 in my file. They have little idea how closely they came to death that Wednesday, i can tell you...
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42866
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:32 pm

I just saw the hardcover at the sci-fi bookstore yesterday - it may have to go on my Christmas list...
Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76909
Likes: 588 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:03 pm

These books are great. Butcher's other series is good too, and I generally don't like that type of fantasy.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25897
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 pm


Postby The Juan Percenter » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:12 pm

If anything, I'm amazed how Butcher avoids the trap of having his main character become a demi-god. Most other fantasy writers get caught around the third book. Dresden will always take a beating. That's what I like most about the books.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76909
Likes: 588 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 pm

W Axl Milton wrote:If anything, I'm amazed how Butcher avoids the trap of having his main character become a demi-god. Most other fantasy writers get caught around the third book. Dresden will always take a beating. That's what I like most about the books.

The main character taking a beating is one of the pillars of the hard boiled detective novel. That's one of the reasons I love these books.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 34978
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 307 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 pm

nietoperz wrote:I know this isn't exactly hot news, but damn are these books good! I only discovered them a couple of months back, and so am still only on Summer Knight, but I have to say that Harry Dresden may well be my new favourite fictional character, bar none.

I know we have some other fans here (after all, it was here that I first heard about these books), so what say you guys?


I say I told you about them a year ago! :evil:


Nah, I'm kidding. I love the series. I got hooked and had to burn through the entire run as quick as I could. :oops:

And the Welcome to the Jungle mini was a lot of fun too. Not very in depth, but it very much felt like an appetizer, a quick novella type introduction to the character and the world, you know what I mean?
Image
Image

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13330
Likes: 541 posts
Liked in: 185 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Postby doombug » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Thomas, Murphy and now having an apprentice round out such a beautifully fleshed out supporting cast.

All the courts in both farie and vampire and plotlines like marcones and susan's have really made it such a unique series.

can't wait for the new book in april. Still trying to figure out who the traitor is in the court. I dig harry's new love interest as well, the fellow wizard in the newer body.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13330
Likes: 541 posts
Liked in: 185 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby doombug » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I say I told you about them a year ago! :evil:


Nah, I'm kidding. I love the series. I got hooked and had to burn through the entire run as quick as I could. :oops:

And the Welcome to the Jungle mini was a lot of fun too. Not very in depth, but it very much felt like an appetizer, a quick novella type introduction to the character and the world, you know what I mean?


Jim said it's in continuity right? Like he could add that animal keeper back in? I liked her a lot.

And we need more Butters!

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 34978
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 307 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 pm

doombug wrote:Jim said it's in continuity right? Like he could add that animal keeper back in? I liked her a lot.

And we need more Butters!


Yes, I'm pretty sure it IS set in continuity.
Image
Image

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:23 pm

doombug wrote:I dig harry's new love interest as well, the fellow wizard in the newer body.


That's one thing I actually don't like so much. I mean, Harry definitely needs to get laid, no doubt. But she's kinda...icky. Like if Eric's 62 year old lady friend was trapped in a 26 year old's body, but still smelled like Halls and chicken noodle soup.

It's gonna end badly.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19883
Likes: 22 posts
Liked in: 320 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:26 am

Lord Simian wrote:Yes, I'm pretty sure it IS set in continuity.
It is. Its set just before Storm Front (first book).

Personally I cant wait for Apr when the 11th book comes out. Backup came out last month and it was awesome. Sure it was only a novella and Harry wasnt the main character but still awesome.

I got into the series about two years ago just before the tv series started.

Summer Knight is my favorite of the series, followed closely by Blood Ties and Small Favor.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Advertisement