Advertisement

Tabletop Wisdom: Dungeons and Dragons 4E Revisited

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Tabletop Wisdom: Dungeons and Dragons 4E Revisited

Postby DeadFett » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Go here to read Wisdom's newest column.

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm

Good article.
I didn't see his earlier one he referred to; but I understand what Wis is saying.

My friends and I couldn't get passed character creation when we were checking out 4e. We were very unimpressed by the rules and it did come across like a MMRPG. It seems that it has been going that way more and more as their miniature system grew.

And although it wasn't perfect; I still think 2nd edition was the best structured so far for a D&D world.

Hearing about the encounters though and lack of roleplaying is really a shame. That is the fun part of the game. Oh well, I don't have much time to play this anymore anywyas.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 pm

xaraan wrote:Good article.
I didn't see his earlier one he referred to; but I understand what Wis is saying.

My friends and I couldn't get passed character creation when we were checking out 4e. We were very unimpressed by the rules and it did come across like a MMRPG. It seems that it has been going that way more and more as their miniature system grew.

And although it wasn't perfect; I still think 2nd edition was the best structured so far for a D&D world.

Hearing about the encounters though and lack of roleplaying is really a shame. That is the fun part of the game. Oh well, I don't have much time to play this anymore anywyas.

Thanks.... and yeah, it's a real shame. I liked d20 for a long time, eventually my hatred of hit-point based level progression took over, but I liked a lot of the concepts of the system. If they could have kept the feats in check and eliminated prestige classes altogether, it would have been all the fixing 3.5 needed. While 3.5 was so open, with so many endless possibilities for character customization, 4e really just feels stagnant and sterile...... and while customization is possible to a degree, it just doesn't seem worth it as it all just feels the same.
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 699 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 pm

I just can't get into 4th edition. 3rd edition was so perfect.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 pm

wisdom000 wrote:Thanks.... and yeah, it's a real shame. I liked d20 for a long time, eventually my hatred of hit-point based level progression took over, but I liked a lot of the concepts of the system. If they could have kept the feats in check and eliminated prestige classes altogether, it would have been all the fixing 3.5 needed. While 3.5 was so open, with so many endless possibilities for character customization, 4e really just feels stagnant and sterile...... and while customization is possible to a degree, it just doesn't seem worth it as it all just feels the same.

I agree.
And although I liked 2nd ed. I was ok with 3.5 as well and we were pretty experienced at running games and worlds; so we just used what we wanted and left out the rest. Which you can do with any version; but when you end up wanting to redo half the rules of the game, then something is wrong. lol

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:19 pm

xaraan wrote:I agree.
And although I liked 2nd ed. I was ok with 3.5 as well and we were pretty experienced at running games and worlds; so we just used what we wanted and left out the rest. Which you can do with any version; but when you end up wanting to redo half the rules of the game, then something is wrong. lol

My thoughts exactly.
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I just can't get into 4th edition. 3rd edition was so perfect.

I would never use Dungeons and Dragons, in any edition, and the word perfect in the same paragraph (until now oddly enough), but it was a damn site more fun than 4e.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm

and personally the whole d20 gaming thing I wasn't into them trying to make it open license. My friends and I used to switch back and forth between D&D, Shadowrun and (older) Star Wars games simply because they had a change in playing rules and combat resolution as well as theme/scenery.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum