Advertisement

Ignore Function

Having a problem accessing the Outhouse? Drop a line and let us know.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Liked in: 0 post
Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Ignore Function

Postby Muppetesque » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Now that I'm using the ignore function for the first time, I've noticed a wee-tiny loophole with it...

When the person posts you see:

This obnoxious bastard is on your Ignore List.

If you're really sure you want to see what they have to say, remove the SOB from the List.

Which is extraordinarily awesome.

However, if someone quotes said person, you see what they typed...

I doubt - given how quotes are handled, that can be dealt with, but I've never seen it discussed before.
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Ignore Function

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:09 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:Now that I'm using the ignore function for the first time, I've noticed a wee-tiny loophole with it...

When the person posts you see:

This obnoxious bastard is on your Ignore List.

If you're really sure you want to see what they have to say, remove the SOB from the List.

Which is extraordinarily awesome.

However, if someone quotes said person, you see what they typed...

I doubt - given how quotes are handled, that can be dealt with, but I've never seen it discussed before.

That is beyond the realm of my capabilities. Quotes become a part of the text of the post they are quoted in. To eliminate it, I would need to create some kind of code to search for the string quote=[A-z*az*0-9*], query the database to see if the person quoted is in your ignore list, and if so, block everything between the quote tags.

Ok, so not impossible, but not worth it when you can easily just not read what the person said.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Jude Terror wrote:That is beyond the realm of my capabilities. Quotes become a part of the text of the post they are quoted in. To eliminate it, I would need to create some kind of code to search for the string quote=[A-z*az*0-9*], query the database to see if the person quoted is in your ignore list, and if so, block everything between the quote tags.

Ok, so not impossible, but not worth it when you can easily just not read what the person said.

I figured as much and can easily be grown-up enough to ignore, but it also was something I've never heard said so I figured I should raise it. Thanks Jude!

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:13 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:I figured as much and can easily be grown-up enough to ignore, but it also was something I've never heard said so I figured I should raise it. Thanks Jude!

Yeah, the ignore function works by poster_ID, which is a unique number assigned to each poster, but that number doesn't show up in the quote anywhere, so it would require a whole new batch of coding.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Yeah, the ignore function works by poster_ID, which is a unique number assigned to each poster, but that number doesn't show up in the quote anywhere, so it would require a whole new batch of coding.

Interesting - I've never worked with this software so it's kind of cool to get peaks inside...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Bugs and Fixes