Advertisement

The Dresden Files

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:38 pm

As I was rereading Summer Knight and then Death Masks, something struck me as a bit off. Okay, so ortega rolls up on harry, talking all this duel to the death stuff, right? And Harry is tripping out internally, because Ortega is a bad ass. But just in the previous book, Harry's faced down two insanely powerful chicks who could vaporize the most powerful wizard with a backward glance, along with two utterly nutso Queens of the Sidhe, a psycho-sexy Lady of the Sidhe, as well as various assorted raging centuars, elven warlords and a chlorofiend...er...plant monster.

And prior to that, he summoned forth an army of vengeful dead to skullfuck the last member of the Red Court to get all up in his grill.

Plus, In Deathmasks, he faced down a group of fallen angels who can drop plague curses on a mo-fo, and can't die without assistance from a holy sword.

Is a single vampire lord really gonna make him nervous after all of that?

I'm not saying he wouldn't take the threat seriously. It just seems like he's been up against heavier black hats, often alone, and has survived to tell the tale.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Advertisement

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Strict31 wrote:Is a single vampire lord really gonna make him nervous after all of that?

I'm not saying he wouldn't take the threat seriously. It just seems like he's been up against heavier black hats, often alone, and has survived to tell the tale.

If it was just a single vampire in a street fight I don't think Harry would be to scared. However since he wasn't quite aware of the dueling accords and Ortega being the mucho badass he was that might have made him a bit nervous. Add in the fact that there was no magic that add fuel to the fire. Harry always says a wizard with a plan is a fuckton more dangerous than a wizard winging it. If Harry couldn't plan for the fight because he didn't know what to expect then he has every right to be scared.

Deux

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Deux » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:47 pm

I didn't really love them. Maybe I should give it another go, though. To clarify -- and its been a couple of years since I read one -- I liked the concept but thought the execution was weak.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Jack Burton wrote:If it was just a single vampire in a street fight I don't think Harry would be to scared. However since he wasn't quite aware of the dueling accords and Ortega being the mucho badass he was that might have made him a bit nervous. Add in the fact that there was no magic that add fuel to the fire. Harry always says a wizard with a plan is a fuckton more dangerous than a wizard winging it. If Harry couldn't plan for the fight because he didn't know what to expect then he has every right to be scared.

Harry didn't have a plan when he whupped Bianca. he just brought the thunda and made it rain. I'm just sayin' it's hard to buy Ortega as presenting the same level of threat that routinely had harry shaking in his cowboy boots.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Strict31 wrote:Harry didn't have a plan when he whupped Bianca. he just brought the thunda and made it rain. I'm just sayin' it's hard to buy Ortega as presenting the same level of threat that routinely had harry shaking in his cowboy boots.

Yeah, but Harry works best when he doesn't have time to do anything but react. When he stops and thinks about the odds he faces he tends to get a little cowed.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 am

I'm such a mark for Harry that I went and bought the anthologies that have short stories about Harry like My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding and others. One of the throwaway lines in Death Mask refers to refers to this story and it's great to be able to fill in some of the details.

And anyone who hasn't read Publicity and Advertising or Restoration of Faith should do so right away!

I even got White Night signed by Butcher. It was purely by accident. At last year's NYCC, I had taken the book to read on the train. When I found that he was doing a signing I just got in line and got it signed! :-D

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 412 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:52 am

Dragavon wrote:I'm such a mark for Harry that I went and bought the anthologies that have short stories about Harry like My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding and others. One of the throwaway lines in Death Mask refers to refers to this story and it's great to be able to fill in some of the details.

And anyone who hasn't read Publicity and Advertising or Restoration of Faith should do so right away!

I even got White Night signed by Butcher. It was purely by accident. At last year's NYCC, I had taken the book to read on the train. When I found that he was doing a signing I just got in line and got it signed! :-D

I'm buying the Anthologies when I get paid this weekend. :-D

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 am

doombug wrote:So who's counting down to the new book? :wink:
ME.

My desktop wallpaper since July 31st.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 am

avengingtitan wrote:ME.

My desktop wallpaper since July 31st.

Me too, but I don't like that Harry has to protect that douche Morgan!

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 am

Dragavon wrote:Me too, but I don't like that Harry has to protect that douche Morgan!
Morgan is like fungus. After a while he grows on ya. :-D

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 am

avengingtitan wrote:Morgan is like fungus. After a while he grows on ya. :-D

Morgan is too much of a religous fanatic for me. I've seen far too many of those in real life. :smt011

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 am

You know what drives me nuts? The cover artist for all the recent books. What the fuck is with the hat? Harry doesn't wear a hat. He's never mentioned owning a hat. So why does he always draw the damn cowboy hat on him? It bugs the hell out of me. I liked Welcome to The Jungle because the first shot of Harry I thought yup that's what he looks like and guess what?

NO HAT!

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 am

Jack Burton wrote:You know what drives me nuts? The cover artist for all the recent books. What the fuck is with the hat? Harry doesn't wear a hat. He's never mentioned owning a hat. So why does he always draw the damn cowboy hat on him? It bugs the hell out of me. I liked Welcome to The Jungle because the first shot of Harry I thought yup that's what he looks like and guess what?

NO HAT!
I know its never mentioned but I like the hat. :oops:

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

Jack Burton wrote:You know what drives me nuts? The cover artist for all the recent books. What the fuck is with the hat? Harry doesn't wear a hat. He's never mentioned owning a hat. So why does he always draw the damn cowboy hat on him? It bugs the hell out of me. I liked Welcome to The Jungle because the first shot of Harry I thought yup that's what he looks like and guess what?

NO HAT!

Better looking than the generic covers they had for the first paperbacks.
Storm Front: Image

Fool Moon: Image

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

Dragavon wrote:Morgan is too much of a religous fanatic for me. I've seen far too many of those in real life. :smt011

I like Morgan. Harry made his peace with him and I like the idea of Morgan as a burnt out cop. I am pretty excited for him to be a bigger player in this book. Hopefully we get more Ramirez too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum