Advertisement

I finally got around to reading DKR...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

DKR: A product of its time?

Definitely.
No votes
Yeah, comics sucked so much in the mid-80s that this was a breath of fresh air.
No votes
Yo' mama! Your taste in comics sucks if you don't think DKR is the shiznit on a biscuit.
33%
Meh to your meh, and I'll raise you a meh, and thus render this poll meaningless.
22%
What the fuck took you so long? Oh, couldn't find a copy? Gotcha.
No votes
I'm in love with Adam Drucker.
11%
Monkey see monkey do.
11%
You gonna eat that?
22%

Total votes : 9

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:07 pm

I don't know. I couldn't get the first couple of pages.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:14 pm

This poll was easy to vote on :)

I read DKR the first time, enjoyed it. Read it the 2nd time and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. The whole rampaging pyschomaniacal Batman who kicks the shit out of everything and humps himself wasn't very appealing.
SHABBA!

mumah
Expert Post Whore

Postby mumah » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Y'all are missin' the context of those wonderful, wonderful pages. Without them, you wouldn't have the wonderful books you don't read today.

Leading the path to salvation from simian oppression since 10,000,000 B.C.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:30 pm

I haven't read it in a while but I love it. It set up Batman as the badass he is today.

The scene in the mudpit is one of my favorite moments in comics.

trachman
Wishes he was as cool as Lord Simian

Postby trachman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

If I could have it wipped for my memory I would in a heartbeat. I didn't care for it. Year One was a masterpiece. DKR was just garbage.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:44 pm

DKR rocked! It was DK2 that sucked.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 pm

DKR is the most overrated piece of graphic literature ever created. I'm sorry, but Batman was, is and always will be a detective. DKR is not Bruce Wayne as Batman, it's Marv from Sin City as Batman, because Batman is not a psychopathic vigilante who gets his kicks from beating people up. That's what Frank Miller's Batman is, and it makes me want to not read Year One because I really don't want to throw up.
SHABBA!

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Keb wrote:DKR is the most overrated piece of graphic literature ever created. I'm sorry, but Batman was, is and always will be a detective. DKR is not Bruce Wayne as Batman, it's Marv from Sin City as Batman, because Batman is not a psychopathic vigilante who gets his kicks from beating people up. That's what Frank Miller's Batman is, and it makes me want to not read Year One because I really don't want to throw up.
Year One is the only Miller I've ever liked. It's a fine origin story for Batman, if it be called that.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Keb wrote:DKR is the most overrated piece of graphic literature ever created. I'm sorry, but Batman was, is and always will be a detective. DKR is not Bruce Wayne as Batman, it's Marv from Sin City as Batman, because Batman is not a psychopathic vigilante who gets his kicks from beating people up. That's what Frank Miller's Batman is, and it makes me want to not read Year One because I really don't want to throw up.
But if he hadn't done DKR, we probably would not have had Sin City. Because it predated Sin City.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm

You should read Year One. It's real down to earth.

EDIT: and the art is so pretty.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53 pm

misac wrote:
You should read Year One. It's real down to earth.

EDIT: and the art is so pretty.
Mazzuccelli's finest work. Really suits the mood of Miller's words.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 am

Zenguru wrote:Mazzuccelli's finest work. Really suits the mood of Miller's words.

Agreed.

I did really enjoy DKR, but as a standalone work and not something that's really in line with 'regular' Batman.
Then again, there really is no 'regular' Batman any more. He's been handled by so many writers, all with their own takes on him, that like many icons of story, it'seasy for anyone to put their stamp on his story. Some things remain constant, and some things will never ever work, but with the character himself is so much potential for so many stories that it's hard to say that the OAP running round, cracking skulls here is any less valid than the smiley idiot of much of 70s Batman or the all powerful pinnacle of humanity that was Bruce in Morrison's JLA.
The book's a product of its time, of course it is, all books are and to suggest otherwise is silly. This doesn't make it any less Batman-y than Year One though. It's just not 'your' Batman.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 am

It was ground-breaking at the time, and it should be read with some historical context in mind. It does highlight the brutal aspect of Batman over the cerebral, which bothered some people even then. But this was right around the time of Crisis, where DC was known as the less serious comic compant. Miller's DKR showed that a DC icon could be covered in grit from pointy-eared head down to his finned boots, and still rule.

Like a lot of things from 20+ years ago, it's dated. Not artisitcally, but the script scream MILLER and is way over the top. Yeah, it's very Sin City in it's presentation, but it's Miller, what do you expect. DKR was Miller on a flimsy DC leash. Sin City was Miller unleashed. Year One was Miller working for DC in DC's sandbox, so it's only natural that the three stories have a similar resonance, while each standing alone.

That wasa huge time for DC...Crisis, DKR, Watchmen...if you weren't reading these stories, you weren't really a fan of comics. Because whether you knew anything about the DC universe or not, these books were changing the face of the medium overnight.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand