Advertisement

Aquaman Annual #1

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Aquaman Annual #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Newsarama preview

Aquaman must reunite with The Others to investigate whether or not their recently deceased member Vostok has returned from the dead. If he has, he is definitely not the same Vostok they remember…

Written by: John Ostrander
Pencils by: Geraldo Borges, Netho Diaz
Cover by: Paul Pelletier, Rob Hunter
48 pages
$4.99
On Sale: October 30, 2013

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Re: Aquaman Annual #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Geraldo Borges delivers some really nice art here. It almost has an Ivan Reis feel to it. Diaz's pages are good but the shift between the two may be jarring to some.
The ending seemed to wrap quickly but otherwise this is 48 pages of non-stop action with a couple setups for future plot lines.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 am

John Ostrander returns to the pages of Aquaman, to tell another fun story about The Others that picks up pretty much where his previous story, Aquaman #20, left off.

Aquaman is swimming in the Ocean, when he’s attacked by some mutated animals. It turns out these animals are also attacking the island home of one of Aquaman’s team-mates in The Others, the total bad-ass that is The Operative. There’s a little bit of lame, unnecessary drama with The Operative not approving of his grandson Jason’s relationship with Sky, the newest member of The Others. But that’s soon done away with by the attack of some evil flying monkeys. In the course of the fight, Operative’s grandson is electrocuted by a mutant eel, and the helmet of Vostok is stolen by some of those pesky monkeys. Sky takes Jason into the Ghost Lands to heal him, and whilst in the Ghost Lands, our heroes discover that the person behind this attack, and the theft of Vostok’s helmet, is a mysterious sorceress.

Aquaman gets the other two members of The Others, Ya’Wara and Prisoner to join in (I liked seeing a bit more of what Ya’Wara gets up too when not part of this loose grouping, did anyone else think she’d make for a good guest-appearance in Swamp Thing?) and they head off to Hong Kong to fight this sorceress, whose name is ‘Madame Xan’. And yes, the similarity to Madame Xanadu is deliberate, as she turns out the be Morgaine Le Fay, Xanadu’s sister. Morgaine wants Vostok’s helmet to allow her to breathe in space and escape the Earth, which she believes is dying, however, it rejects her, and she instead vows to save the planet from the people on it.

The Others arrive, and instead of getting into a fight straight away, Morgaine tries to manipulate each member into joining with her to save the planet. These scenes were pretty rote, with every character instantly realising the trick, but the plot was saved by the fact that, surprisingly, one of The Others actually allowed Morgaine to possess her! Yes, Ya’Wara showed weakness, and let Morgaine in, and that almost cost the team this fight. However, in the end, Aquaman blasts her with a laser from his trident and wins. It was fun to see Aquaman go up against Morgaine Le Fay actually, because as she says, she has history with Kings named Arthur.

After the fight, Ya’Wara feels disgraced by the fact that she unwittingly betrayed her friends, and quits, and there’s also some stuff about how Sky can’t date Jason because he’s not a Native American. I’m not sure when or where these plotlines will be picked up, but I am interested in seeing them. The Others are a great bunch of new characters, and John Ostrander has a good handle on them. I certainly wouldn’t be averse to a mini-series by him.

The artwork here from Geraldo Borges and Netho Diaz was solid, unremarkable superhero stuff, but I think Borges in particular stood out, and kept a consistency with Pelletier’s style. If you like these new characters that Johns introduced, definitely pick up this Annual, it may not have anything to do with the crazy shit going in the main book, but it was enjoyable, and as I said, it’s about new characters, the New 52 needs to be more New than old rehashes in my book, and this stuff actually feels fresh.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 am

The flying monkeys were the best ! :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews