Advertisement

If Batman Came To Marvel

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 193 posts

If Batman Came To Marvel

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I was playing with the idea in regards to what would happen if Marvel ever got the rights to Batman from DC and how screwed the former would be if that happened. I am theorizing that if that ever came through, DC is pretty much down for the count even though they would still have Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Green Lantern and a few other franchises to hold on to. Does anyone think that if Batman ever got brought out to Marvel that it would be a good thing or not?

Advertisement

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Re: If Batman Came To Marvel

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Looking at the box office of the Batman films, I can't imagine a scenario under which Batman would be sold.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Looking at the box office of the Batman films, I can't imagine a scenario under which Batman would be sold.

Yeah, I can't really see DC getting rid of their flagship character (or one of them at least, especially considering that "DC" comes from "Detective Comics", Batman's first title).

IF it did, though... I'm thinking that's really going to hurt their combined movie universe.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 pm

The other question is, if Batman came to Marvel, what would happen to Wolverine, who is basically Marvel's Batman (as a sales draw, a badass, an anti-hero, etc)? I suspect when the smoke cleared, one of the two would become an 'also ran' as a hot commodity.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 pm

HNutz wrote:
Yeah, I can't really see DC getting rid of their flagship character (or one of them at least, especially considering that "DC" comes from "Detective Comics", Batman's first title).

IF it did, though... I'm thinking that's really going to hurt their combined movie universe.

Pretty much what I am thinking too. With all the successful Marvel movies and Batman to add, it's pretty much a wrap for DC unfortunately.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

I doubt Warners would ever sell the character, but studios to fall on hard times and ownership changes. What if Disney bought Warner?

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Batman should be Daredevil.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

MikeinLA
crash test dummy

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:39 pm

It would be pretty crippling to DC's sales, especially if all the characters related to the Bat franchise went with him.

Here's my hypothetical: if DC agreed to trade the Batman property to Marvel, what would they need to get back in order to make it an even swap?

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Well your larger point, I think, is that Marvel has a more diverse set of properties on which they can rely to sell both comics and movie tickets -- Spidey, X-Mutants, Avengers as a team, Avengers solo (Cap, Thor... does anyone doubt a Black Widow movie starring Scarlett would put butts in seats?), etc. DC has relied for decades now very heavily one huge mega-property - The Batman, with Superman running a distant second most of the time (except when something extraordinary happens like the "Death of Superman" garbage that for some reason sold like gangbusters). It's not as easy to pinpoint a single property of Marvel's without which the whole company would be hosed, the way you can with DC and Batman. If Marvel sold Spider-Man, sure it would hurt, but they'd still have a ton of fictional artillery left. If DC lost Batman... it would be a much bigger blow. Batman is a much large slice of DC's pie than any one property, even Wolverine, is for Marvel.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 pm

I sometimes dream DC would sell Booster Gold to Marvel... Firestorm too

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Chessack wrote:Well your larger point, I think, is that Marvel has a more diverse set of properties on which they can rely to sell both comics and movie tickets -- Spidey, X-Mutants, Avengers as a team, Avengers solo (Cap, Thor... does anyone doubt a Black Widow movie starring Scarlett would put butts in seats?), etc. DC has relied for decades now very heavily one huge mega-property - The Batman, with Superman running a distant second most of the time (except when something extraordinary happens like the "Death of Superman" garbage that for some reason sold like gangbusters). It's not as easy to pinpoint a single property of Marvel's without which the whole company would be hosed, the way you can with DC and Batman. If Marvel sold Spider-Man, sure it would hurt, but they'd still have a ton of fictional artillery left. If DC lost Batman... it would be a much bigger blow. Batman is a much large slice of DC's pie than any one property, even Wolverine, is for Marvel.

I couldn't have put it better.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 pm

MikeinLA wrote:It would be pretty crippling to DC's sales, especially if all the characters related to the Bat franchise went with him.

Here's my hypothetical: if DC agreed to trade the Batman property to Marvel, what would they need to get back in order to make it an even swap?

Good question. DC could get Moon Knight who is basically Marvel's Batman variant as I doubt Marvel would really miss that character.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:48 pm

David Bird wrote:I doubt Warners would ever sell the character, but studios to fall on hard times and ownership changes. What if Disney bought Warner?

That's pretty much a wrap for everyone under Warner basically.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Chessack wrote:The other question is, if Batman came to Marvel, what would happen to Wolverine, who is basically Marvel's Batman (as a sales draw, a badass, an anti-hero, etc)? I suspect when the smoke cleared, one of the two would become an 'also ran' as a hot commodity.

They could co-exist as I basically think Marvel would milk both characters more than they already are-heck they would even do a Batman/ Wolverine series for sales.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 pm

MikeinLA wrote:It would be pretty crippling to DC's sales, especially if all the characters related to the Bat franchise went with him.

Spider-man.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to Previews