Wednesday, November 21, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "If you loved Hotel Rwanda, you'll love The Outhouse."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Doomsday Clock #1, Demon: Hell Is Earth #1 (Previews)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 am

Doomsday Clock #1, Demon: Hell Is Earth #1 (Previews)

Covers and pages for two DC Comics titles on sale November 22.

Source: DC Previews, Newsarama

The early reviews for the first issue of DC's Doomsday Clock are in. IGN gives it high marks. CBR says it's a well-Crafted Watchmen Successor. Newsarama says "it's hard not to get chills".
The Demon returns in a new 6-issue miniseries that promises to shake-up the relationship between Etrigan and Jason Blood while they become involved in a new mystery.   

Doomsday Clock #1 (of 12)

DC Comics presents to you a 12-issue maxiseries from the critically acclaimed team of writer Geoff Johns, artist Gary Frank and colorist Brad Anderson. You are not prepared for what lies ahead within these pages, good readers.

Written by:
Geoff Johns
Art and Covers by: Gary Frank
Colors by: Brad Anderson
40 pages
$4.99 (US)
$5.99 (US - Lenticular Cover)
DC1_cov.jpg

DC1_Frank_var.jpg

DC1_Superman_var.jpg

DC1_Superman_bw_var.jpg

DC1_1.jpg

DC1_2.jpg

DC1_3.jpg

DC1_4.jpg

DC1_5.jpg

DC1_6.jpg

DC1_7.jpg

The Demon: Hell Is Earth #1 (of 6)

Jason Blood and Etrigan: the best of enemies, destined to spend eternity bound together. When a haunting vision leads Jason to Death Valley, a supernatural weapon is unleashed, radically transforming not only the land, but also Blood...and the Demon. The worst, though, is yet to come, as hell begins to make its way into our world.

Don't miss the start of this horrifying miniseries, where Etrigan and Blood's relationship will be changed forever!

Written by:
 Andrew Constant
Art & Cover by: Andrew Hennessy, Brad Walker
Colors by: Chris Sotomayor
32 pages
$2.99 (US)

TDEMONHE_Cov.jpg

TDEMONHE1_1.jpg

TDEMONHE1_2.jpg

TDEMONHE1_3.jpg

TDEMONHE1_4.jpg

TDEMONHE1_5.jpg

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 am

Well Johns certainly mimics Rorschach's narration. Though I question instilling 2017 hot button topics in a 1992 setting. Or are we supposed to think that because of the giant squid incident, Trump became president 25 years earlier?

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

SporkBot wrote:Well Johns certainly mimics Rorschach's narration. Though I question instilling 2017 hot button topics in a 1992 setting. Or are we supposed to think that because of the giant squid incident, Trump became president 25 years earlier?

#MAGA

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

So, you're saying they're more concerned with baseline nostalgic feels than making this story a more spirited successor to the original novel?

Because that would be both unsurprising, and force me to make the obvious comparison to James Tynion IV.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Ah, Sporkbot, nothing you have said is even remotely what this issue is about. What this issue does is give the reader quite a few fun teasers of what is going on as "Rorschach" gathers a small team so that he and Adrian Veidt can go in search of Dr Manhattan who has taken off for "another galaxy". And since you asked, yes, this does feel like a "spirited successor to the original novel".

I look forward to Spacedog's obligatory posts trying to convince us that Johns is the Anti-Christ and must be made to pay for his sins. :P

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Ah, Sporkbot, nothing you have said is even remotely what this issue is about. What this issue does is give the reader quite a few fun teasers of what is going on as "Rorschach" gathers a small team so that he and Adrian Veidt can go in search of Dr Manhattan who has taken off for "another galaxy". And since you asked, yes, this does feel like a "spirited successor to the original novel".

I look forward to Spacedog's obligatory posts trying to convince us that Johns is the Anti-Christ and must be made to pay for his sins. :P

Geoff Johns, the Anti-Christ? Not even close. :roll: Johns is just a writer whose work habitually oscillates between average and mediocre, promoted beyond his level of ability. The Anti-Christ is way cooler.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Ah, Sporkbot, nothing you have said is even remotely what this issue is about.

So...the pages I read DIDN'T contain obvious references to modern day political talking points when it's supposedly taking place in (albeit alternate) 1992? Because I could've sworn that's what I read.

My other post was trying to figure out Jack Charlemagne's single picture response.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 pm

SporkBot wrote:
So...the pages I read DIDN'T contain obvious references to modern day political talking points when it's supposedly taking place in (albeit alternate) 1992? Because I could've sworn that's what I read.

My other post was trying to figure out Jack Charlemagne's single picture response.

I'm pretty sure I didn't read that. :smt102 I don't recall them saying who the president is at all, and I secretly hope it's Reagan like he was still president in 1991 in alien nation. :lol:

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote: I don't recall them saying who the president is at all, and I secretly hope it's Reagan like he was still president in 1991 in alien nation. :lol:

President Redford (who won the 1988 election) is mentioned a couple times.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:I'm pretty sure I didn't read that.

I don't know, maybe it's because I never paid attention to political and sociological issues in the 90's, but some of the stuff mentioned feels very much like 2017 stuff. Kind of like the Supergirl TV show, where Maggie's Dad talks about "them building a wall", when their President is the kindly alien Wonder Woman, not the straw-haired yam...it's just...feels kind of off.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

SporkBot wrote:
I don't know, maybe it's because I never paid attention to political and sociological issues in the 90's, but some of the stuff mentioned feels very much like 2017 stuff. Kind of like the Supergirl TV show, where Maggie's Dad talks about "them building a wall", when their President is the kindly alien Wonder Woman, not the straw-haired yam...it's just...feels kind of off.

I was thinking the same from the third panel of the first page - the "Make America "Safe" Again".
While it's a play on a particular orange bastard's slogan, I never felt anything similar again for the rest of the book (because the theme quickly gets set and it's unlike anything that's happened (irl).

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I see they got rid of Etrigan's "Rhyming Demon" status. All the more reason to respond with "Meh."

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Geoff Johns, renowned for his Shakespearean style of writing and superb grasp on character development, putting words in the mouth of Ozymandias - "the smartest man on the planet". The sheer absurdity of this situation...

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Herald wrote:I see they got rid of Etrigan's "Rhyming Demon" status. All the more reason to respond with "Meh."

'cause writting is harrd

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Spacedog wrote:Geoff Johns, the Anti-Christ? Not even close. :roll: Johns is just a writer whose work habitually oscillates between average and mediocre, promoted beyond his level of ability. The Anti-Christ is way cooler.

Tim Curry was the sexiest Lord Of Darkness IMO.

leave a comment with facebook