Advertisement

Justice League Of America #8

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 549 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Justice League Of America #8

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 am

Newsarama preview

Written by: Matt Kindt
Pencils by: Doug Mahnke
Inks by: Christian Alamy, Tom Nguyen, Keith Champagne, Marc Deering
Cover by: Ken Lashley
Variant cover by: Guillem March
32 pages
$3.99
On sale: October 16, 2013

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Re: Justice League Of America #8

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Turns out the person that says "it's prison" is Jason Rusch who believes that he's been there longer than anyone. He takes J'onn on a scouting mission through the prison which reveals
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
each League member is trapped in a separate section that is designed to specifically keep them imprisoned by preying on psychological traits. I found Flash's the most interesting. Superman's is a nice nod to a scene in the first Christopher Reeves movie.

J'onn also notices that he's being shadowed by a mysterious cloaked figure but he can't discern who it is.

Stargirl basically has a passive role until the end when she finds a way to escape and discovers
that they are in Washington DC with the capitol a burning ruin.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 253 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Turns out the person that says "it's prison" is Jason Rusch who believes that he's been there longer than anyone. He takes J'onn on a scouting mission through the prison which reveals
each League member is trapped in a separate section that is designed to specifically keep them imprisoned by preying on psychological traits. I found Flash's the most interesting. Superman's is a nice nod to a scene in the first Christopher Reeves movie.

J'onn also notices that he's being shadowed by a mysterious cloaked figure but he can't discern who it is.

Stargirl basically has a passive role until the end when she finds a way to escape and discovers

What are the personalized cells? I'm not going to buy this, but I'm always interested in that kind of plot point. Spoil away, please :-D

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Wonder Woman's is one constant battle but it's not a warrior's battle. She's being forced to fight under death threats to Steve and Superman. Her lack of control over her emotions for both of them are making her feel weak and not in control of herself.

Shazam's is his heart's desire. To be able to use his powers without restraint, battling all kinds of Silver-Age threats. He simply just doesn't want to leave this reality.

Flash's is being able to do everything all at one time because he has nothing but time. He's racing around the world, seeing things, doing personal and touristy things he's always wanted to do, saving everyone, learning things at super-speed, defeating all his Rogues. In reality he's trapped in a room, just sitting, not going anywhere. It's just his mind that is moving at super-speed creating these fantasies that he believes are real.

Superman's is guilt over killing Dr Light. He keeps trying to fly faster and faster hoping to spin the Earth backwards and reverse time.

Green Lantern/Simon Baz's is that he is the terrorist everyone thinks he is. Apparently he used his ring to destroy .. everything.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 253 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Sounds kinda neat, actually.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 am

Matt Kindt and the Martian Manhunter step up from their regular back-up feature and headline this issue of JLoA, and hey, what a surprise, the Justice Leagues aren’t really dead.

It turns out that the Crime Syndicate hasn’t actually brutally murdered all of the heroes, but instead, they are all trapped in some kind of mental prison. And who better to take a trip through the mind than the Martian Manhunter? He wakes up in a strange, green field, with only Stargirl for company, and they have no idea where they are. But then, Jason Rusch appears in an orange prison jumpsuit, acting all crazy (I’m guessing he’s had his mind mushed together with Ronnie Raymond’s) and begins to lead Martian Manhunter through the prison, where we see just what kind of punishment each Justice Leaguer is being put through.

Wonder Woman is forced to fight to save the lives of both Amazons and Humans to save the lives of both Steve Trevor and Superman, with Kindt really putting the central question of Wonder Woman’s allegiances to the fore. We see that Shazam is trapped inside a world with no consequences, where stuff he smashes and people who die come straight back, allowing for the literal inner child that is Billy Batson to be unleashed and get out of control. It felt like this was Kindt commenting on video games like GTA, where you are free to just do what you want, because the people don’t actually die. Superman’s prison is that of his guilt over killing Doctor Light, Green Lantern finds himself actually becoming a terrorist because of how distrusting the people were of him, and most disturbing of all, is the Flash’s prison. Flash’s pages here were really disturbing to me, as Barry tries to do everything in a day, to go faster and faster, but he’s not actually doing it, he’s just sitting there, going crazy. It was really freaky, and Doug Mahnke’s art really made it work, that page with Flash running everywhere had so many panels, it was dense and manic and did a great job at getting across Flash’s mental state.

Throughout the issue, there are teases of who or what is creating this prison, my guess is either a Martian Manhunter of Earth-3 (who is probably a White Martian) or Deathstorm, because Jason really was acting sketchy in this issue. In the end, with J’Onn deep in the bowels of the prison with Simon Baz, Stargirl discovers a way out, finding herself in the midst of Forever Evil. The moon is blacked out, Washington DC is trashed, etc.

This was a pretty decent tie-in, and it bodes well for the future of this event, big stuff, like the fate of the Justice League is being revealed here, so it’s not just pointless. I liked seeing the likes of Martian Manhunter and Stargirl play a larger role than usual, and Kindt did very well in coming up with creepy prisons for our heroes, and was ably assisted by Doug Mahnke’s fantastic art. If you’re enjoying the main Forever Evil book, pick up this tie in, but then you probably were anyway. I did feel like at times the dialogue was a bit stilted, but other than that, this was good.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Won't be MM of Earth-3, Punchy, see Pandora #4 for more details. I think it's more of a mental prison, but we'll see.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Turns out the person that says "it's prison" is Jason Rusch who believes that he's been there longer than anyone. He takes J'onn on a scouting mission through the prison which reveals

So that's how this ties tothe Pandora storyline. Good stuff.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews