Friday, September 21, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Exclusive! Exclusive! Hggulghhlgghhlghhlghh!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Marvel 2-In-One #1 (Preview)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Marvel 2-In-One #1 (Preview)

Here come the Fantastic Two!

Source: Comics Continuum, Newsarama

Back in September when this solicit was first released it had readers scratching their heads. Was it a hint that Marvel was bringing back their 2-In-One title? Or more importantly was it a teaser that the Fantastic Four were off the naughty list? After the news this past week about Disney and Fox it looks like they had this planned out well in advance.

Here's how Marvel describes this issue:

"The Fate of the Four," part one. Something is very wrong with The Human Torch and only The Thing can help him! It's the Marvel Universe reunion you've all been waiting for (well, half of it, at least!). Plus: What monumental secret has Doom been hiding since the end of Secret Wars, and how will it completely change the lives of Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm?

Written by: Chip Zdarsky

Art by: Jim Cheung, John Dell & Walden Wong

Colors by: Frank Martin

Covers by: Jim Cheung, Alex Ross, Art Adams, Mike McKone, Jon Malin, John Byrne, Jack Kirby, John Tyler Christopher.

32 pages

$3.99 (US)

In shops: December 20, 2017

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 pm

I am so looking forward to this.

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 pm

:smt026

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 am

I am so waiting for Chap's reaction as he must be popping the champagne bottle at this point. :band

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 am

Draco x wrote:I am so waiting for Chap's reaction as he must be popping the champagne bottle at this point. :band

That's not a champagne bottle :shock:

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:03 am

It has taken Marvel almost all of 2017, but they've finally gotten me excited about a book. :smt026

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

Ben with tiny spectacles is something I never knew I needed!

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:05 am

This is a book I've wanted back since I was 11 years old and buying old issues of MTIO for 35 cents at Old Towne Cards and Comics in Marion Massachusetts.(RIP you cigarette smoke filled hole in the wall.)

This looks awesome and I sooooooooo excited.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

No words will properly quantify my excitement level for this book. I already knew from PPTSSM that Zdarsky gets Johnny, these preview pages confirm he gets Bashful Benjy too, and Ben's speech speaks volumes about his grasp of the FF family dynamics too.

In an era where I find precious few Marvel books worth reading, and precious fewer worth buying, I simply cannot wait to fork over my hard-earned cash to get this issue in my hot little hands. Gimme. Gimme now.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm

It's crazy how much classic fantastic four Cheung is channeling in his artwork.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Oh...y'all...I'm SO happy right now; this book is perfect. Just perfect. It's a typical modern first issue...it starts off small and personal, more hinting at what's to come than really jumping headlong into anything, but Zdarsky reveals a standard Reed doohickey and unfolds a couple small twists toward the end that clearly lay the map for where this thing is going and how quickly we're probably gonna get there. It's mostly Ben here (whether intentional or not, and I choose to believe it is, that's a fitting callback since the original MTIO was his book), with just enough Johnny to justify the "2-for" in the title, with flashback/recorded image cameos of Reed and Sue, and quick-take cameos from Spidey and Doom (who I'd argue along with She-Hulk and Crystal are the Marvel characters closest to "extended family" to the 4), all of whom interact with Ben as setup for the book's status quo. There are a couple of blink-and-you'll miss them bouts of fighting/violence, but the point of the book is really to remind readers of who these characters are and then give the book a reason for existing, and Zdarsky (and Cheung, who as usual is terrific here) just nails both counts, and every character that gets featured. Doom's haughty arrogance, Spidey's unique Spidey-ness, Johnny's hotheadedness and need for/reliance on family and his powers, and Ben's mix of mopey self-disparagement and poor-mes with his sense of duty and inner strength/goodness, Zdarsky clearly gets and concisely displays all of it, and does it with a sense of fun and wonder, even in the more serious parts of the book (and there are definitely more than a few), that an FF (or F2) book should always maintain. SO GOOD.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:14 pm

A great book, so much to like here.

It's wonderful to see Ben in "woe is me" mode that doesn't have anything to do with his appearance. Ben should be completely over that after all these years. Being down because of the loss of his family is a nice change of pace.

Doom spying on Ben was predictable so a demerit there but a potential BIG thumbs up with Johnny's power loss. I've long thought this was something that had to happen someday.

Ben had his powers wear off in FF #166. Galactus blasted them back and he's been the better for it since.
Sue's powers were waining until she had them upgraded via the Thunderhorn in FF #159.
Reed completely lost his powers and only got them back with a return to a cosmic ray storm in FF #200.
It's time for Johnny to go through the same thing.

Great writing and great art. One of the best things is finding an artist who can draw the Thing AND knows that Human Torch is a light source and how he effects shadows.

I have to call it a step below Chappy's "perfect" - because just sick of Marvel getting Sue Richards name wrong. :smt011

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Amoebas wrote:A great book, so much to like here.

It's wonderful to see Ben in "woe is me" mode that doesn't have anything to do with his appearance. Ben should be completely over that after all these years. Being down because of the loss of his family is a nice change of pace.

Doom spying on Ben was predictable so a demerit there but a potential BIG thumbs up with Johnny's power loss. I've long thought this was something that had to happen someday.

Ben had his powers wear off in FF #166. Galactus blasted them back and he's been the better for it since.
Sue's powers were waining until she had them upgraded via the Thunderhorn in FF #159.
Reed completely lost his powers and only got them back with a return to a cosmic ray storm in FF #200.
It's time for Johnny to go through the same thing.

Great writing and great art. One of the best things is finding an artist who can draw the Thing AND knows that Human Torch is a light source and how he effects shadows.

I have to call it a step below Chappy's "perfect" - because just sick of Marvel getting Sue Richards name wrong. :smt011

Well, I'll have to go back and check again (which I'm gonna do anyway b/c it was so good I gotta give it a re-read), but I think the only time they called her Sue Storm was when they talked about the 4 going off into space. Talking about them as they were then, at that time she was still a Storm and not yet a Richards, so technically that would be a (but not the only) correct way to address her.

Methinks you just got triggered and got all butthurt. :P :wink:

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:11 pm

This place is lousy with dust. I'm not crying...you're crying! :cry:

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 pm

chap22 wrote:
Well, I'll have to go back and check again (which I'm gonna do anyway b/c it was so good I gotta give it a re-read), but I think the only time they called her Sue Storm was when they talked about the 4 going off into space. Talking about them as they were then, at that time she was still a Storm and not yet a Richards, so technically that would be a (but not the only) correct way to address her.

Methinks you just got triggered and got all butthurt. :P :wink:

Or you need to read the 4th panel on that same page. :-D

leave a comment with facebook