Advertisement

Bomb Queen cover

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:06 pm

J.Hunter wrote:JimmyKitty?! Of course you're right man. I got confused because I know I've seen Bomb Queen before and it just hit me!

I'm Hunter. We used to post together at Sequential Tart. I've posted tons of my artwork and checked out yours at the old forum. Sheesh, it's been awhile. Glad to see you still knocking out the awesome artwork man.

Long time no see.

AH! Sequential Tart! Right on!
Yes, the birth place of Bomb Queen. That's where I first put the idea out in public.
So sad that forum is only a shadow of its former glory. I miss it.

Yes, I'm still doing art... trying to get better. But time is my constant enemy.
Glad to see you haunting the forums, Hunter.
Bomb Queen Hates You

Advertisement

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Ah, what the hell, I'm looking through my online storage / Image dump and I see files I haven't pulled out in a while. SO why not give these another spin here at the Outhouse. Let me get over a few more covers and I can do interiors later...

This is for volume 5, issue #2.
This is another example of pencils vs. inks. I really thought I had this one, but as usual, I lost a lot of the energy between the pencil stage and the inking final. I use ink brushes, ink pens, technical ink pens, whatever. My style is linear and a bit on the cartoony side. I don't have a Marvel or DC style with a lot of heavy blacks and realistic movements. I wish... but it's just not in me... so I stick with what I know...

Anyway...

Here's the initial start of this cover.
I wanted to juxtapose the Queen's raunchy style with the *very* clean-cut super hero, White Knight.

Then I tighten it up, adding background crap as I go along (this is where some of the crazy ideas come from... right on the spot). At this point, I thought I had the essence of this crazy position / angle.

But then.... I ink it...

I keeping hoping against hope and I tell myself I can fix it in the coloring -- much like a film director says they'll "fix it in post"! Haha! Sadly, at least for me... it didn't happen. But here's the results. Notice all the crap I toss into the background. Stuff that was never there. I swear, I can spend an hour just tweaking tiny stuff in the distance that nobody will ever see.

EDIT:
I think in the final print version I just took the Queen's head out altogether. The angle of the neck just looked off. But it was kinda weird with no head at all.

Bomb Queen Hates You

b.lumpkin
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: rebel from the waist down
Formerly: barrylincoln

Postby b.lumpkin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Jimmie Robinson wrote:Image
that's one of my favorite gratuitous panels ever

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Here's a NEVER before seen test (well, I showed it to Frank Cho)
I was just working ideas for new camera angles and thought to shoot the lens *through* the cleavage.

But it didn't work, and instead of solid firm breasts it came out more like cow udders, or your grandmother's milk bags. Sometimes I swear there's a disconnect between the ideas in my brain and my ability to draw smack on the pages. Hah!

Bomb Queen Hates You

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 pm

ha, cool stuff
you can tell she does a good job shaving though

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Jimmie Robinson wrote:Here's a NEVER before seen test (well, I showed it to Frank Cho)
I was just working ideas for new camera angles and thought to shoot the lens *through* the cleavage.

But it didn't work, and instead of solid firm breasts it came out more like cow udders, or your grandmother's milk bags. Sometimes I swear there's a disconnect between the ideas in my brain and my ability to draw smack on the pages. Hah!

Well you're in luck, cause I LOVE my grandma's milk bags! :lol:

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 pm

barrylincoln wrote:that's one of my favorite gratuitous panels ever

Thanks... I appreciate the comments... though I'm trying to clean up my act nowadays.
It would be sad if I stepped out in front of a yellow bus and this would be my last contribution to comics. Haha!

Here's the book I am working on right now!

T. Runt! (written by Derek McCulloch, art by me)
An *actual* kid's book.

Maybe I can get back into Heaven with this. Haha!
Bomb Queen Hates You

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:46 pm

pedi wrote:Well you're in luck, cause I LOVE my grandma's milk bags! :lol:

Hah! Good one.
But I'm walking away from that one... MILF much?
Bomb Queen Hates You

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Your work is amazing.

Clean lines with a bit of exagerration to make it your own style.

Keep us amazed and keep posting!

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 pm

jsalwen wrote:Your work is amazing.

Clean lines with a bit of exagerration to make it your own style.

Keep us amazed and keep posting!

Thanks... I try to tell myself that... it's my own style, but I swear I look at it and I just want to do better (as all artists do). I look at some of the art over at Marvel and DC and I just LOVE all the feathering work on their ink brushes, or the coloring, and the backgrounds and camera shots. You know the drill... the grass is always greener over there... Haha!

But yeah, I've heard that about my style. So I keep hammering away trying to make it work. Once a reader said it was all computer generated because it was too clean and linear. I hope to see that person at a convention one day and show them my original art pages.
Bomb Queen Hates You

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Time for some sequential pages. Hey, this is a comic book forum, 'eh?
I know not everyone has read Bomb Queen, so here's a tiny taste.

NSFW - you have been warned!!

Bomb Queen Hates You

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Bomb Queen Hates You

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Your style definitely has a certain charm to it. I don't follow many comics much anymore.... but I must say, as I've browsed through the LCS every so often, Bomb Queen has stood out as a cool and unique character. As you and Jim V already know, I'm sure... Bomb Queen has a lot of potential to grow far beyond comics.

Keep it up! Let's see Charlize Theron play BQ on the BIG screen! You know, she'd be perfect for that role... kinda like when she was Eon Flux.... except your character will really bring out her charm.

Have you and JimV approached or been approached by filmmakers?

Jimmie Robinson
underclassman

Postby Jimmie Robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 pm

pedi wrote:...
Keep it up! Let's see Charlize Theron play BQ on the BIG screen! You know, she'd be perfect for that role... kinda like when she was Eon Flux.... except your character will really bring out her charm.

You mean like this doctored up Bomb Queen version of Theron from Aeon Flux?

pedi wrote:Have you and JimV approached or been approached by filmmakers?

Nope. And to be bloody honest I'm sure they'd turn her into a hero. The only way it could work would be to focus on a hero coming into her city. A bit like Mad Mad Beyond Thunderdome. Tina Turner's screwed up world was the backdrop for Mad Max. Other than that... Hollywood would wreck it.

BUT... I'll always have the book. After all, movies and comics are two different mediums, I'd understand if they had to change it. Look at Millar's WANTED. Turned them all into *good* assassins, dropped the costumes, character names, et. Sometimes that's the price paid to play in Hollywood. The key is to stay true in the original source material. If a movie were made and I also changed the book to reflect that... then I'd have sold my soul to Hollywood. But this book is so off the rails I doubt anyone in film would want to touch it. And to be honest... I think it's best that way.

Until I see a check with enough zeroes on it.

Haha!
Bomb Queen Hates You

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Jimmie Robinson wrote:Nope. And to be bloody honest I'm sure they'd turn her into a hero. The only way it could work would be to focus on a hero coming into her city. A bit like Mad Mad Beyond Thunderdome. Tina Turner's screwed up world was the backdrop for Mad Max. Other than that... Hollywood would wreck it.

BUT... I'll always have the book. After all, movies and comics are two different mediums, I'd understand if they had to change it. Look at Millar's WANTED. Turned them all into *good* assassins, dropped the costumes, character names, et. Sometimes that's the price paid to play in Hollywood. The key is to stay true in the original source material. If a movie were made and I also changed the book to reflect that... then I'd have sold my soul to Hollywood. But this book is so off the rails I doubt anyone in film would want to touch it. And to be honest... I think it's best that way.

Until I see a check with enough zeroes on it.

Haha!

Man, your art is really cool. it was great seeing the sketches and seeing how you think about angles. Cleavage cam is probably unique in the world of superhero comics.

Screw the movies...maybe this would work better on HBO as a miniseries. They seem to worry less about molly-coddling the audience.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Creator's Corner