Advertisement

Yo Jude! I need that Lettering in Photoshop tutorial!

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Yo Jude! I need that Lettering in Photoshop tutorial!

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Can you hook a half-brotha up?

Need to letter some comics quick so's I can send them off to Canada before April 1rst!

:-D

Advertisement

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Title: Engineering The Future

Re: Yo Jude! I need that Lettering in Photoshop tutorial!

Postby spidertour02 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 am

J.Hunter wrote:Can you hook a half-brotha up?

Need to letter some comics quick so's I can send them off to Canada before April 1rst!

:-D

ACK! Why would you want to letter something in Photoshop? Illustrator is where it's at ...

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Where's illustrator at? I don't have it?! :(

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 30 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Shit. I have something like this here somewhere...

Lettering in PS is easy, though totally shitty compared to illustrator. You need a level above your art for baloons, and then above that layers with the words. Place all your text first whereever you want it to be on the page.

Remember that for the text to fit in ovals, you should format it like a diamond. Shorter lines on top and bottom, longest line/s in the middle. Also remember you can break the dialog up, have two bubbles or more overlapping each other to create unique shapes to put your text in.

Once you're dine placing your text, time to make the bubbles. Using the oval select tool, draw a circle around your first piece of speech. Do this for any connected bubbles/ Then use the polygonal tool to draw connectors between bubbles if you need them, and pointers, holding shift the whole time. Basically, you're going to convert your whole selection to one shape, so anything that is connected by the same stroke should be selected.

Now, on your bubble layer, go to edit-fill and fill with white. Then go to your layer blending properties and give it a black stroke of whatever thickness looks good.

Move on to the next bubble/s and repeat.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner