Saturday, July 23, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Outhouser?! We barely know her!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:36 pm

The President wrote:I have an awesome story idea that I'm writing. I think if I find an artist I will try some submissions.

I have some people I know at Image and Avatar.


I have a few ideas, I could use an artist.

I have no connections anywhere.

I think my stories are stellar though.
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:49 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:Well I've let Bluestreak know of the idea, still waiting to hear back from him. I'm sure Jon will weigh in when he see's this. If this doesn't seem like the right fit for the OH, there's always going indy. Even though it's a lonely place. :P


Go for it...
User avatar

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:49 pm

jeremiahvedder wrote:Change the name to Cockumentary like it looks and I'm in.


Hah, talk to Starlord, maybe he could be your editor!!!
User avatar

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Doc Spider wrote:
Go for it...


Well okay, the Creative Officer of the Outhouse has given his consent....now what say Bluestreak?

Now for you writers here, that want artists but still want to get published?

I'm sure there's a way we can involve you guys. Trying and dining an artist to help your publishing efforts or submissions is apart of this quest as well. So if we get two writers looking to submit work to a publisher....they can either try to submit as a writer....or in most cases they'd need an artists so maybe they seriously search out for an artist.

So if they're still interested in taking that journey, there'd be two writers...

me...a writer/artists...

and...who else?

Oh I forgot the pornstar who wants to make a cockumentary. There are many roads to the gold I say!

Gang of Six? Let's make it!
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
I have a few ideas, I could use an artist.

I have no connections anywhere.

I think my stories are stellar though.


Finding artists is hard because too many of them think:

A) That they can write when they can't.
B) That they should be paid more than they are worth.
User avatar

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:18 pm

The President wrote:
Finding artists is hard because too many of them think:

A) That they can write when they can't.
B) That they should be paid more than they are worth.


Ouch!
User avatar

jeremiahvedder

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby jeremiahvedder » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:20 pm

I know a lot of good artists who're looking for work.

I just don't have the money to pay them!
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:20 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
Ouch!


It's very true.

A lot of comic artists look down at writers because they think of comics as a visual-only medium and that they do all the work.

It's pretty much how Image was founded. Then those guys realized how hard it was to write and hired writers of their own.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:22 pm

jeremiahvedder wrote:I know a lot of good artists who're looking for work.

I just don't have the money to pay them!


How much do they charge?

I would prefer to collaborate and do a 50/50 split, but I might bite the bullet and pay someone to do the art.
User avatar

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:29 pm

In most cases, you're gonna have to pay something to get them to play. People are too smart now and whether or not you realize it an artist brings much more to the table than just pretty pictures.

You might be able to swing paying them a page rate and offerring them a cut of the property. But just asking them to sit around for hours drawing your vision while you promise it'll get them rich is probably going the Mac route.
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 pm

The President wrote:
It's very true.

A lot of comic artists look down at writers because they think of comics as a visual-only medium and that they do all the work.

It's pretty much how Image was founded. Then those guys realized how hard it was to write and hired writers of their own.


That's an EXTREME example. :-D

But let's be honest here, it's a whole lot easier to write "splash page with Superman and Darkseid punching each other" than to draw it...
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 pm

The President wrote:I have an awesome story idea that I'm writing. I think if I find an artist I will try some submissions.

I have some people I know at Image and Avatar.


I'd like to submit something to Avatar or Image, or any other company really.

Meanwhile, Contramundi, I checked your blog and I think your pages are good. You should get into The Gathering and have your stories published, it's a small indy imprint but it's better than nothing, and so far a few pros have collaborated with us (Gail Simone, Sterling Gates, Sean McKeever, etc.). You could have your story right next to the story of someone famous, how about that?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Reading this thread, I feel like not everyone has taken the time to familiarize themselves with the various submissions policies publishers have. Here's a guide to all of them:

http://www.optimumwound.com/the-submiss ... iverse.htm
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:37 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:In most cases, you're gonna have to pay something to get them to play. People are too smart now and whether or not you realize it an artist brings much more to the table than just pretty pictures.

You might be able to swing paying them a page rate and offerring them a cut of the property. But just asking them to sit around for hours drawing your vision while you promise it'll get them rich is probably going the Mac route.


Yeah but if it were a true collaboration, the artist would have a say in everything before he did the work.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Doc Spider wrote:
That's an EXTREME example. :-D

But let's be honest here, it's a whole lot easier to write "splash page with Superman and Darkseid punching each other" than to draw it...


It may be easier, but it's the most important part now.

More people follow writers now than they do artists. Many artists can't accept that.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests