Advertisement

To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:53 pm

The President wrote:
Actually, yes.

They are shortsighted and look to the immediate paycheck instead of trying to develop an idea.


:-D

Good luck finding an artist.

You'll find that almost every artist who has spent any time in this game has been burned by promises of fame and fortune if they'll just do a few pages or an entire comic for free.

You do realize that a full comic is approximately 3 weeks worth of work at the least for an artist right? This doesn't include designs, prep work and all that.

But hey, I'm sure yours is the million dollar ides.;)
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Advertisement

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35912
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Online


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:56 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:

All joking aside. I'm both. I can write and I can draw. I've self-published and been in anthologies as well as working on a large one that's years...(literally) in the making. I don't think you quite know what you're talking about...but am willing to accept the challenge if you want to go for the Gauntlet and see which of us makes it through?


I'm not trying to compete.

I understand things are tough for artists and there are a lot of scam artists out there. But there are too many writers that think they have dual skills that really don't.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:57 pm

The President wrote:
I'm not trying to compete.

I understand things are tough for artists and there are a lot of scam artists out there. But there are too many writers that think they have dual skills that really don't.



Care to name a few?

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:59 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:

All joking aside. I'm both. I can write and I can draw. I've self-published and been in anthologies as well as working on a large one that's years...(literally) in the making. I don't think you quite know what you're talking about...but am willing to accept the challenge if you want to go for the Gauntlet and see which of us makes it through?


I'm just like you then. I write and I draw. A few months ago I found an amazing artist, and he did some great pages for me.

This was my guy:

Image

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Rebis wrote:
You're welcome, Arion. It's been a year since it was updated, so there's always a tiny chance an individual policy may have been changed in the meantime, but it's a pretty comprehensive list. You're quite talented and I hope you go far.



Actually this link is really helpful! Thanks. You just narrowed down my google search list by a dozen or so.

I'm going to pick a few and see what I can do.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35912
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Online


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Doc Spider wrote:
:-D

Good luck finding an artist.

You'll find that almost every artist who has spent any time in this game has been burned by promises of fame and fortune if they'll just do a few pages or an entire comic for free.

You do realize that a full comic is approximately 3 weeks worth of work at the least for an artist right? This doesn't include designs, prep work and all that.

But hey, I'm sure yours is the million dollar ides.;)


I don't think I will find a partnership. I'm sure I'll have to pay.

But if you'll notice, the most successful ideas come from trusting your writer.

Look at Dave Gibbons.

Look at Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard who now even get credit in the Walking Dead show.

Look at Cory Walker with Invincible.

These guys all rake in royalty checks because their writer came up with a brilliant concept.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm just like you then. I write and I draw. A few months ago I found an amazing artist, and he did some great pages for me.

This was my guy:

Image


Looks like Charest's style. Very very nice.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:02 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:

Actually this link is really helpful! Thanks. You just narrowed down my google search list by a dozen or so.

I'm going to pick a few and see what I can do.


Cool, always remember to go over the submissions policies in advance lest all your hard work be for naught.

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm just like you then. I write and I draw. A few months ago I found an amazing artist, and he did some great pages for me.

This was my guy:

Image



Nice! To be a fly on the wall of your negotiations!!!

Who's your artist?

You can see my efforts as writer to other artist in the Angry Citizens update, (no I did NOT letter that thing!).

And I have older and crappier art going in the note 2 self and 31 Days of Halloween tabs on the front page in the features section.

This is just a few of what I've had brewing. Once we wrap on our bigger anthology I'll make an announcement.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35912
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Online


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:

Care to name a few?


Oops. I meant artists.

Anyway, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Alex Ross, David Finch. Jack Kirby did. Marc Silvestri. Erik Larsen (Savage Dragon sucks). Joe Quesada. Even Bendis was one. Luckily Joe Quesada told Bendis he would never draw a comic for Marvel under his watch.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35912
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Online


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm just like you then. I write and I draw. A few months ago I found an amazing artist, and he did some great pages for me.

This was my guy:

Image


Did you pay him?
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Rebis wrote:
Cool, always remember to go over the submissions policies in advance lest all your hard work be for naught.


Well that's kind of the trick isn't it?


Do you do your own work geared towards Submission policies?

or

Do you just do your own work, then find the policies and publishers that best fit you?

Top of my list so far?

Top Shelf.

They want mostly completed work.

I figure I'm on my own till I want a home.

Other companies that have caught my eye but where I'd want to team up with another artist is Image/Shadowline. I love the work that's been coming out of there.

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:05 pm

The President wrote:
Oops. I meant artists.

Anyway, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Alex Ross, David Finch. Jack Kirby did. Marc Silvestri. Erik Larsen (Savage Dragon sucks). Joe Quesada. Even Bendis was one. Luckily Joe Quesada told Bendis he would never draw a comic for Marvel under his watch.



Hold on.

Bendis can draw. What are you talking about?

Savage Dragon sucks?

C'mon man.
You're trolling now.

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:06 pm

The President wrote:
I don't think I will find a partnership. I'm sure I'll have to pay.

But if you'll notice, the most successful ideas come from trusting your writer.

Look at Dave Gibbons.

Look at Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard who now even get credit in the Walking Dead show.

Look at Cory Walker with Invincible.

These guys all rake in royalty checks because their writer came up with a brilliant concept.


You think some of those projects would have been the same if the art sucked?

You think Image would have given serious thought to Invincible without Walker's art in the submissions package?

I'm not detracting from the role of writers, but there are a million billion dollar ideas out there. Everyone thinks that their idea is the ONE that will make billions and be licensed and so on. Everyone. Every writer thinks that their take on Superman is the freshest most unique take.

Most artists end up getting burned. And most writers aren't as good as they think they are either.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: To be, or Not To Be...Published that is!

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:07 pm

My artist is from Spain. And his pages are really great. I think the only reason he's not famous is because he has never ventured outside Spain, and the comic book scene there is not what it used to be in the past.

When he sent me the pages I fell in love with his work. And he did it all for free, but after looking at his art I sent him some money anyway, it was the least I could do.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Creator's Corner



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

Advertisement