Advertisement

Pedi, Wondering if you could sling some crits on some of my

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Pedi, Wondering if you could sling some crits on some of my

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:36 am

So I could hopefully avoid making the same mistakes. If you don't have the time I understand.

Advertisement

pedi
Factor 8

Re: Pedi, Wondering if you could sling some crits on some of

Postby pedi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi J... I'd rather sling some crit at your newer/best stuff, rather than art that you feel doesn't represent your current skill level.

Is cool? Please repost with your best works and I'd be happy to crit.

Thanks.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Is cool. But there might be some ringrust!

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 pm

what's ringrust?

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:10 am

when a fighter gets in the ring to fight after not being in the game for so long it's considered ring rust. He has to work out all the kinks and smooth out his shit before he get's his skills back up to par. So the fight or in my case the new pages might actually suck worse than the old pages till I can find my rhythmn again.

Case in point these:

These were done in 2006 I think. They're the intro to the 2nd part of my halloween story from 2K5

The story continues: But these pages are 2008.

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 pm

So................................ here're it is, yo:

Your art reminds me more of a graffiti style, or indi comic zine.... not so much mainstream illustration for story-tellling / comics. There's something charming about your style.... it's funny to look at. It's kinda crazy. Has a personality.... nutty. But it doesn't reflect that you care much about proper structure, perspective, anatomy, story-telling, lettering, or anything of the sort. It's reminds me of the type of one page comic-strip you'd find in the back of some obscure black and white horror or science-fiction or pulp indi magazine. It's a bold style.... but, the problem is that everything is bold. Your whites are as strong as your blacks. There's barely any differentiation in depth, foreground, background. The perspective, proportions, all of it is malfunct.... if you care about achieving such superficial qualities in your art. Whereas, I don't believe you care as much about structure as you do about having fun with your drawing time... but it does show that your a whacky kinda smart... and if you applied yourself to learning the structured areas in art and storytelling, you'd grasp it.

So................................ there it is, yo.

Pedi

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 am

pedi wrote:So................................ here're it is, yo:

Your art reminds me more of a graffiti style, or indi comic zine.... not so much mainstream illustration for story-tellling / comics. There's something charming about your style.... it's funny to look at. It's kinda crazy. Has a personality.... nutty. But it doesn't reflect that you care much about proper structure, perspective, anatomy, story-telling, lettering, or anything of the sort. It's reminds me of the type of one page comic-strip you'd find in the back of some obscure black and white horror or science-fiction or pulp indi magazine. It's a bold style.... but, the problem is that everything is bold. Your whites are as strong as your blacks. There's barely any differentiation in depth, foreground, background. The perspective, proportions, all of it is malfunct.... if you care about achieving such superficial qualities in your art. Whereas, I don't believe you care as much about structure as you do about having fun with your drawing time... but it does show that your a whacky kinda smart... and if you applied yourself to learning the structured areas in art and storytelling, you'd grasp it.

So................................ there it is, yo.

Pedi

Man that is a sweet spot on crit. Thank you. I am at a point where I'm starting to care alot about the fundamentals. I've started working w/ basic shapes constructing various figures using them and thinking about form. So much to the point now where I look and sketch most of my characters now in skeleton form. I've decided to start at the bottom and from scratch in doing skeleton/bone studies. Even if it's a cartoony character I'm trying to figure out how they'd look as a skeleton, how they'd move right.

If that made any sense.

pedi
Factor 8

Postby pedi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 am

Yeah man, I get what you're saying. Best advice I can give you is: DRAW ANYTHING.... even if you only drew the same caterpillar a hundred thousand times this year.... I guarantee you, the more understanding you have in drawing any one thing, your understanding of drawing everything will exponentially improve.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:27 am

pedi wrote:Yeah man, I get what you're saying. Best advice I can give you is: DRAW ANYTHING.... even if you only drew the same caterpillar a hundred thousand times this year.... I guarantee you, the more understanding you have in drawing any one thing, your understanding of drawing everything will exponentially improve.

Indeed.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 pm

bump1

Derm
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Derm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:34 pm

pedi wrote:Yeah man, I get what you're saying. Best advice I can give you is: DRAW ANYTHING.... even if you only drew the same caterpillar a hundred thousand times this year.... I guarantee you, the more understanding you have in drawing any one thing, your understanding of drawing everything will exponentially improve.

One thing I always thought worked well from collage was the blind drawing.
It took place during the life drawing class where you had the model just standing there but each pose you weren't aloud look at the paper while you drew.
It's main point was to stop you making a drawing you thought looked good and made you focus on what you were seeing.
The actual drawings you end up doing can be a bit crap but it does help what comes after it.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:50 pm

I remember those!

Bloated fingers, thighs and all!

Derm
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Derm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm

J.Hunter wrote:I remember those!

Bloated fingers, thighs and all!

Yeah, you have to give up on drawing a pretty picture during those classes which I think is the point.
Not drawing what you think you see and only what you do see.
Pain in the ass to do but it does help.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner