1. The first Scottish superhero? Really? There haven't been any others? Ever? You know comic nerds will point it out if you're lying.
It's been a talking point already. The Fantastic Four had a non recurring female character called Caledonia who was around in the nineteen seventies. The reason he is referred to as Scotland's first superhero is because he is created in prehistory.
2. How did you manage to scoop Mark Millar on this? That dude is slacking.
Both Mark Millar and Grant Morrison have spoken about a Scottish superhero for about a decade now but have never realised the idea. They are both friendly with our artistic director Phil Vaughan.
3. In the image, Saltire appears to be nude. Is this an erotic comic?
No,it's not erotic at all. There's a cod piece covering his unmentionables. The only thing thats blue about this is the colour of his skin.
4. What kind of unique challenges does a Scottish superhero face that, say, a British or American one doesn't?
Scottish mythology and history is totally different than the rest of the UK. Scottish people are very proud of this but it's not well known because of the London centred UK media. Saltire takes place throughout the history of Scotland and into the future, a future where Scotland may be an independent country.
5. The Welsh. What a bunch of dicks, am I right?
I only know one Welsh person and funnily enough his name is Richard.
6. Will this be distributed in the US? How will people be able to buy it?
We'll be creating a sizable initial print run which is for international distribution using our own independent Diamondsteel Comics. We also have significant interest from larger international publishers at the moment.
7. Will the comic taste better if allowed to age for 12 years in an oak barrel?
8. You corner a bunch of comic readers in an elevator. They're scared of you because you've got a massive, red beard and you're wearing a plaid skirt. You have 30 seconds to convince them to buy Saltire. What do you say?
Have you ever wished a superheroic immortal being from the end of the world would turn up in a world of Braveheart meets 300 and go head to head with a variety of empires, invaders and mythological super villains all based on the real history of a certain country. No! Well that's a knife i keep in my sock and i'm not wearing any pants, your move!
9. Bagpipes. What the fuck?
Outlawed during the Scottish wars of independence, we like to play the god awful things loudly to distract people from our ginger hair.
10. Anything else people should know about Saltire?
The first book is called "Saltire - Invasion" and is the first in a series of full colour graphic novels. Saltire is a dark and gritty superhero, far from the comical stereotypes of scottish characters of the recent past.
Cheers for the Q and A. Here's an image thats a bit less Playgirl cover shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.