Advertisement

Some of my work, for your viewing pleasure.

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Gypse77
luchadore

Liked in: 0 post

Some of my work, for your viewing pleasure.

Postby Gypse77 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 pm

So when Jude told me that I should join this forum, one of the big selling points he stressed was this part. I've already seen some of the art on here, and it seems like a fuck-ton (that's metric) of talented people hang out here. So after being a lazy sob since joining the site, I'm finally going to stink up the joint and add my own bullshit to the mix. Feedback is always good, so bring it on. Or don't. I'm not the boss of you.

These four are stencil cuts I did last year of some cool and pretty well known architecture here in Asbury Park, NJ. All spray paint on canvas.

Strawberries... spray paint and lettering enamel on canvas board

Pin-ups

Random portrait stencils
The Jay and Silent Bob one was a commissioned piece that was given to Kevin Smith as a gift. Don't know what he did with it, but I know that he got it.
The Tom Waits painting was bought by Pete from the Bouncing Souls and is hanging in his living room. Yay for name dropping.
That one is another commissioned piece. It's the author Stephen Crane... had to work off of a blurry, 120 year old photo. Pain in the ass.

More to come.

Advertisement

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri May 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Holy hell... those are great! :shock:

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Title: Boozemoines, ID.
Formerly: J.Hunter

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sat May 09, 2009 11:47 am

Hey can you explain the stencil stuff? I'd love to digg into that shit. I want to do some pop art iconicana and litter my gallery with it and hell maybe start some commissions this summer now that I'm out of school.
And as far as spray paint? What's really good in the hood?

Gypse77
luchadore

Postby Gypse77 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:32 pm

J.Hunter wrote:Hey can you explain the stencil stuff? I'd love to digg into that shit. I want to do some pop art iconicana and litter my gallery with it and hell maybe start some commissions this summer now that I'm out of school.
And as far as spray paint? What's really good in the hood?

The thing with stenciling is that it's incredible time consuming... the stencil for the Metropolitan that I did ended up being seven separate layers and took about 20 hours just to cut. It helps if you're familiar with the concept of working with layers in Photoshop, because laying out a multi color stencil really amounts to the same thing. A lot of people have started making laser cutters out of of old printers, but I personally think that the best way to do it is with a good ol' Xacto knife. I cut the actual stencils out of a medium gauge acetate, which you can get by the roll... it's thick enough to hold up well even with a lot of detail while still being relatively easy to cut, and since it's clear it makes it a bit easier to line up the image when you're working with multiple layers. For single layer stuff that I'm going to use on the streets, I go with thin cardboard sheets or bristol board. Check out the tuts section at http://www.stencilrevolution.com/forum/. That forum has everything you would ever need to know, when it's not going offline for weeks at a time. But like everything else, it comes down to practice... the more you cut, the better your stencils will get (the Jerry Only stencil up above was one of my first, and looking back at it now, it pretty much blows). And the more you spray, the better your can control will get. Just make sure you wear a mask when you spray. And don't do it around anything that you value, because it will get covered in paint dust.

As for spray paint, it's the same as with graffiti... American paint is crap. Krylon is absolute garbage, the paint is thin and watery, and they've changed their cap system so you can't swap out their caps... and the chump caps they come with suck. Rusto is okay, but it's still pretty hard to work with... because the paint is so thin, you'll end up with a lot of drips and underspray. All those generic brands that are kicking around, like Walmart's Premium or Home Depot's Killz brand, are just as bad... none of them are made for art. The one exception to this might be an American brand called PlutoniumG, which is American made and designed fro graff artists... it's supposed to be a quality a paint, but I've never been able to find any so I can't vouch for it.

To get the good stuff, you've got to look to Europe. The paint there is designed with artists in mind. It's higher quality, more opaque, comes in huge color pallets, and it goes on thick and dry, meaning less drip and overspray. The three big names are Belton Molotow, Spanish Montana, and German Montana (the Montanas are separate companies, and there's been a huge ongoing debate in the graff community over the two). I'm lucky to have a store near me that carries German Montana's Gold-line of paints so that's pretty much all I use. But you can get all of those paints on the internet now. Personally, I use http://artprimo.com/catalog/index.php and they've never done me wrong.

If you want to spray, get some paint and some caps... for big stencils it's good to use fat caps, since they'll cover more space in an even coat. For smaller, more detailed stencils, I use a medium soft cap, like a Blue Dot.

Hope that helped Hunter.
Cheers.

Gypse77
luchadore

Spray paint?!

Postby Gypse77 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Speaking of spray paint, this is some stuff I did last weekend... a coffee house near me had been having problems with kids writing on their bathroom walls, so they paid me to come in and pant over it all with some real graff.
It was a pain in in the ass because the rooms were so tight and I had to wrap the images around the corners, which made it nearly impossible to get the can up against the wall. Also, the walls themselves were half tile and half stucco, which made my lines come out all fucked up, but whatever, it was a legal wall and I got money out of it.

The color in these pics kinda sucks. Just noticed that. Oh well.[/img]

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sat May 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Nah man, I appreciate it! I was wondering...do you think I could get some of the same effects with an airbrush kit?

A lady I work with has been offering to loan me it to just practice.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sat May 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Oh shit. Looking at those links...I think you just introduced me to a new art form.

Thick, fat lines? Line variation and refillable? I can do it big as I fucking like on artboard or a wall?

Damn, this might be the breakthrough I've been looking for.

Gypse77
luchadore

Postby Gypse77 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:11 pm

With airbrushes you can get kinda the same effects, but on a much smaller scale. My girl just picked up a new airbrush for doing special fx makeup, and I'm planning on stealing her compressor and getting my own gun to start f'ing around with it.

But yeah man, check out those links and go crazy... the paint can get kinda pricey, but it's well worth it. All the brush work that I do, I use 1Shot lettering enamel, which is crazy expensive but the quality is awesome.

BTW, a lot of the stuff I did last year was painted on canvas... which, as I've recently figured out, is a really bad idea. Unless the canvas is stretched extremely tight, the spray paint will start to crack. I think it looks cool on some of the pieces, but I would never try to sell them now. Instead I've made the switch to canvas board and masonite... masonite is especially good because it's cheap, holds up great, and can be cut to whatever size or shape you need. I just through a coat of oil gesso on it first. Great stuff.

And if you're gonna start using spray paint on the regular, always use a mask. Seriously, the vapors and paint particles will fuck you up in a bad way without one. Do yourself a favor and pick up a good respirator mask... you can always use those flimsy disposable ones, but dropping $25 on a real mask with replaceable filters is worth the investment. I use a 3M 5000 Series which blocks organic vapors and particulates. Plus, it looks badass.

Alcoholic_Spider
Factor 8

Postby Alcoholic_Spider » Sat May 09, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm thinking I'd like to fuck with some type of refilliable markers first, and apply my paint brush to it.

ziza9
Designer Interactive

Title: Finally...

Re: Some of my work, for your viewing pleasure.

Postby ziza9 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:01 pm

[quote="Gypse77"]So when Jude told me that I should join this forum, one of the big selling points he stressed was this part. I've already seen some of the art on here, and it seems like a fuck-ton (that's metric) of talented people hang out here. So after being a lazy sob since joining the site, I'm finally going to stink up the joint and add my own bullshit to the mix. Feedback is always good, so bring it on. Or don't. I'm not the boss of you.

Strawberries... spray paint and lettering enamel on canvas board

These are INSPIRING. I would pay good money to see the gallery show lucky enough to be displaying these. Great work and welcome to the art forums. And lazy is okay. Until recently, I have been the king of lazy.
Dark Angel Saga > AvX

Punchedugly.blogspot.com

Gypse77
luchadore

Postby Gypse77 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

These are some pen and ink things I did for a show a few months ago... this is probably the closest I've gotten to comic-style in a long time.

It was a really weird show...
::Insert witty and/or ironic signature here::

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1041 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 10, 2009 2:12 pm

wtf?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Gypse77
luchadore

Re: Some of my work, for your viewing pleasure.

Postby Gypse77 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:15 pm

ziza9 wrote:These are INSPIRING. I would pay good money to see the gallery show lucky enough to be displaying these. Great work and welcome to the art forums. And lazy is okay. Until recently, I have been the king of lazy.

Thanks dude. I think the whole lazy thing is a side effect of winter... now that's it's finally starting to warm up I'm coming out of hibernation. So I'll be posting crap on here a lot more.

Gypse77
luchadore

Postby Gypse77 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Jude Terror wrote:wtf?

It was a show at Asbury Lanes... does that explain it?

ziza9
Designer Interactive

Title: Finally...

Postby ziza9 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Gypse77 wrote:These are some pen and ink things I did for a show a few months ago... this is probably the closest I've gotten to comic-style in a long time.

It was a really weird show...

I think the image of a cock headed cthulhu like squid is now burned into my memory thanks to this. Weird is good...I like weird.
Dark Angel Saga > AvX

Punchedugly.blogspot.com

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Creator's Corner