Wednesday, December 12, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Now part of a nutrituous breakfast!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Hardest Part About Creating A Story

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

jonblondyn

Helter Skelter

Postby jonblondyn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:59 pm

What do you guys think is the hardest part in creating a story?

Charlie Kirchoff

Birdman

Postby Charlie Kirchoff » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:24 pm

The actual writing/drawing/and creating of it. Coming up with ideas is fun, having completed a story is great. Everything in between is where the real work is.

James Mulholland

hobo killer

Postby James Mulholland » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:37 am

Between the panels, so to speak. So for instance, I'm breaking a story at the moment and doing up the major beats for the entire story then break that into arcs. What I find the hardest is what comes between the beats. I also usually start writing scenes and let the characters talk. I plot heavy but when it comes to the actual scenes the characters take over and that could end up changing some beats.

Mac E Tero

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Mac E Tero » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Writing what I don't know. When creating a character that has qualities I don't have I have a hard time maintaining their voice clearly. Not just in a scene but also plotting what they have plans for. I have tried basing them on people I know but that hasn't worked for me. I don't know any criminal masterminds.

Supersoldier Washout

WTF is this rank?

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Finding the write words to begin the story. You can know what's happening and/or what someone wants to say, but conveying it just right it the hardest part.

Hollow Harbor

Faster Pussycat

Postby Hollow Harbor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 pm

After a first or second draft of a script and going through to make sure that the important reveals are (usually) on an even-numbered page. Otherwise, if a reveal is on an odd-numbered page, the reader will flip through (a printed version) and see the reveal on the opposite page while still having another page to get to.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Stopping myself from going overboard.

Zumie

A Quagmire

Postby Zumie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 am

Hm, about creating the story itself? Probably trying to think of an idea when starting from a blank slate and not letting it occur naturally or trying to force/do it under stress. It really jams it up for me @_@

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 am

jonblondyn wrote:What do you guys think is the hardest part in creating a story?

Based on my experience with my upcoming Kickstarter project...

BloodDriveLogo.jpg

It would be everything after the name & logo.

Smeets

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby Smeets » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:59 am

for me the creation part is NOT the hardest. it's the business side that is the most challenging.

creating art is next to talking with GOD for me.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:04 am

I find it easier begining a story/plot and having a finale planned out, but getting from point A to point Z is the fun & challenging part because there are so many ways to get there that sometimes I just overload ideas.

Johnnie Torch

cheese

Postby Johnnie Torch » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:39 am

I guess in a sense, it's just getting the whole thing from my head to the page. Given that I write/draw/ink/letter & color the whole magilla myself, every book is a challenge.

For me it's frustrating to have nearly completed stories in my mind that probably won't get made for 5 to 10 years from now!

Actually, the story I'm working on now has given me the worst case of writers block I've had in a while. I can't really come up with a satisfactory ending. :smt011

SimonJoshep

Birdman

Postby SimonJoshep » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am

The original concept which resonates in the audience is the hardest part for me!! :roll:

Jimroller

Faster Pussycat

Postby Jimroller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 am

Allot of interesting comments here. The hardest thing for me as the story goes on is uncovering plot holes. Sometimes the story just flows so well but you miss some elements of a scene that contradict with other parts of the story; especially when the story has many story arc's. I find a second or third set of eyes is very important to weed out the holes.

BelfastCityComics

Faster Pussycat

Postby BelfastCityComics » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 am

Hardest part is the writing. If you don't know your characters and plotting inside and out it makes it so much more difficult to work out what works on the page and what does.

If anyone has a comic they're interested in getting printed and published you should check out the Belfast City Comics Facebook page.

leave a comment with facebook