Saturday, October 1, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Exclusive! Exclusive! Hggulghhlgghhlghhlghh!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

2013: The Postmortem

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 pm

So, now that 2013 is dead and buried: how was it for you?

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:33 pm

It was pretty bad.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 pm

In some aspects, the number 13 was appropriate.

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Didn't drink.
Got a new job.
Didn't kill anyone.

Not bad

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:12 pm

2012 and 2013 were probably the best years of my adult life.

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

I lost someone quite close to me in 2013. So was a sad Year in that respect.

Buuuuut... I also did some AWESOME THINGS!! Swam with Dolphins, Went on a plane for the first time (after a fear of flying all my life) aaaaaaand, I took part in a Lightsaber Flash Mob. :-D :-D :-D

2014 is going to be a million times better though, I just knows it 8) 8)

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Overall, I have to say a good year, despite some setbacks. We moved to a two bedroom town home from our old two bedroom flat, which is definitely an upgrade. A ton more room, and in a very nice town that we enjoy living in. We got rid of our microwave and have tried to cook more foods from scratch using whole food ingredients (not ALL foods, but some). Did well at my job.

Kids had issues in their first school, but we ended up getting them moved to a much better school that they love now. Amy had a lot of health issues at the end of the year, but on the other hand, we managed to afford insurance for her for the first time in years, so she can finally get those things taken care of. So i like to look at the positive side of those things.

And of course, business is booming at The Outhouse.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm

I feel like I've missed opportunities.

You, Nieto?

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

It sucked. Second worst year after 2011.

achilles

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby achilles » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:28 pm

It sucked, one long year of worry followed by dread, sprinkled with some heartache just for variety.

I'm really hoping the new year is much better, but then I plan to do more than just hope for that; I'm taking steps to make it happen.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

CountD wrote:I feel like I've missed opportunities.

You, Nieto?

I had a good year, all said. I mean, I got the position I wanted and am now both researching and lecturing, so I can't complain. I'm a professional academic, and that's what I had been working toward for a long time.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:10 pm

what kind of research do you do Nieto?

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 pm

2013 was a colossal pain in the balls but it was all part of a massive transition, so there's no where to go from here but up. I'm fairly optimistic that 2014 will be better by comparison.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Rockman wrote:what kind of research do you do Nieto?

My doctoral thesis is going to be an investigation of the cultural evolution of the monomyth, in terms not only of traditional literature but also comic books, graphic novels, film and TV. My primary texts are essentially The Invisibles, Promethea and Buffy (thought there are several dozen others, even at this early stage). Essentially, I'm fusing biocultural literary criticism with the older and more overlooked ideas behind archetypal criticism and structural anthropology to see if I can't come up with something new.

I also teach Academic Writing, English Literature and English Speaking Cultures at what we call 'A' level (in other words, the equivalent of 101) and part of the Masters courses in Speculative Fiction (Precursors and Hard SF in semester one and Vampire Fiction in semester two). I've also been asked to develop a lecture in semiotics for students of film studies, and am starting to develop a Masters-level course in comics and GNs with a couple of colleagues.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:29 pm

That sounds really interesting.

leave a comment with facebook