Advertisement

Anime & Manga Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kingbobb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:I know how you feel. I got spoiled in the eighties with the 1 to 100 scale Zeta Gundam kits. Plus I find that the MG kits are better bang for the buck.

You got the Ex-S Gundam and Kampfer? I'm jealous. :wink:

The perfect grades are to big and costly for my thoughts on it.

They're a single kit, you build one or the other. God I'd love to get that Aile Strike plus the Noir and Strike E.

Have you ever kept the boxes they came in for moves? That's what I do, seems to help, if they fit.

I've kept a couple of the boxes. They're generally too big for our place to keep too many more, though. I tried to get the Ex-S box down from the closet last night so I could start trying to repair it again, and it was too big to fit without moving a ton of other stuff out of the way.

I've got the other two in the smaller box. I'll be heading to the Japanese Gift Store where I get my kits to check out whether I want to get one for Father's day.

I'd really like to do a PG kit at least once, but our budget really doesn't support that. I'm happy doing about 1 MG kit a year or so. I started the Freedom before Xavy was born, took nearly a 3 year break, and just now finished it. Xavy's really interested in model building, so after he gets bored watching, we usually go and build something with his Duplos.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 697 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:39 am

kingbobb wrote:I've kept a couple of the boxes. They're generally too big for our place to keep too many more, though. I tried to get the Ex-S box down from the closet last night so I could start trying to repair it again, and it was too big to fit without moving a ton of other stuff out of the way.

I've got the other two in the smaller box. I'll be heading to the Japanese Gift Store where I get my kits to check out whether I want to get one for Father's day.

I'd really like to do a PG kit at least once, but our budget really doesn't support that. I'm happy doing about 1 MG kit a year or so. I started the Freedom before Xavy was born, took nearly a 3 year break, and just now finished it. Xavy's really interested in model building, so after he gets bored watching, we usually go and build something with his Duplos.

Yeah, I found that most 1 to 100 scales didn't fit easily back in the box.
I split up my original 1 to 60 scale Zeta across four or so boxes.

I understand. I wouldn't mind owning at least one PG kit, but it's too expensive. As it is, I get an MG kit maybe ever two years or so. partly cost and mostly space. Time is also another factor. :(
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 am

I just saw that Bandai makes seperate Gundam stands...anyone got one? Should I be looking into one? The stand that comes with the Freedom, while neat that it has a slot for the cover to the place where the stand peg goes into the model, isn't all that stable for my liking. My Freedom's sitting 6' above the floor, and despite Xavy's assurances that it can fly, I'm fairly certain it won't.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:13 pm

kingbobb wrote:I just saw that Bandai makes seperate Gundam stands...anyone got one? Should I be looking into one? The stand that comes with the Freedom, while neat that it has a slot for the cover to the place where the stand peg goes into the model, isn't all that stable for my liking. My Freedom's sitting 6' above the floor, and despite Xavy's assurances that it can fly, I'm fairly certain it won't.

You may want to. I understand that a number of kits will otherwise fall over.

Have you tried any of the Gundam markers?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:You may want to. I understand that a number of kits will otherwise fall over.

Have you tried any of the Gundam markers?

Not yet. I bought a couple art pens for the linework, but I think I'm close to looking for a Gundam Marker set.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:44 pm

kingbobb wrote:Not yet. I bought a couple art pens for the linework, but I think I'm close to looking for a Gundam Marker set.

I've been thinking of ordering some via HLJ when I decide to start building again, which will be when I can afford the space. :oops:

The art pens work eh? That's good to know! Thanks! :-D

I used to mask and/or use a fine brush for those lines, when I filled them. I nearly went nuts a couple of times doing that. These days, my hands aren't as good as they once were.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 am

The pens work, plus they have the benefit of being able to wipe away excess easily with a cloth or even just your finger. I think my hands are still steady enough, I just don't have the patience to go slow enough to be careful. So it's a good effect, but you can see the sloppy when you get close.

I fixed the Ex-S last night. I don't know what my problem was before, but I remember it having to do with me being unable to get the head mounting to work. Since it's transformable, the head's on a turtle mount, allowing it to retract into the chest cavity. It went together fairly easily last night. I did notice that I hadn't finished it, and had actually built one of the wing assemblies backwards, which was easy to correct. So the Ex-S is now sitting next to Freedom, of course making Freedom look small.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:26 pm

I see the GN-X from Gundam OO is getting a 1 to 144 scale high grade release.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey sdsichero...................... lookie, a thread on stuff we like.............

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:47 pm

I just got myself the Gundam Exia 1 to 100 scale kit.
Looks great. First kit in nearly four years.

I AM A HAPPY CAT! :-D

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 473 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Hey sdsichero...................... lookie, a thread on stuff we like.............

Yes, you need to keep bumping it (easy for a cat) to keep it on the front page. :P

I haven't built a kit in years, but I do collect a few. Mostly Zeta or Zeta variants (ain't going to get the huge ones). I think the Amuro color Zeta Plus was the last regular model I bought.

By regular I mean, regular series. I do coontinue to buy SD models (they are fast and funny) and Keroro models. :-)

EDIT:
I do have subscriptions to a couple of Japanese hobby mags (Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby) so I keep up in that way.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 pm

sdsichero wrote:Yes, you need to keep bumping it (easy for a cat) to keep it on the front page. :P

I haven't built a kit in years, but I do collect a few. Mostly Zeta or Zeta variants (ain't going to get the huge ones). I think the Amuro color Zeta Plus was the last regular model I bought.

By regular I mean, regular series. I do coontinue to buy SD models (they are fast and funny) and Keroro models. :-)

EDIT:
I do have subscriptions to a couple of Japanese hobby mags (Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby) so I keep up in that way.

I'll be doing that since I'm quiting the Rama. Too much of a pain in the ass there as it is.

I've no idea when I'll build this one. You mean the Zeta Plus MSZ-006A1? That was the last one prior to this one that I got.

I use the net to keep up. Dalong.net and HLJ plus several other sites.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 473 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I'll be doing that since I'm quiting the Rama. Too much of a pain in the ass there as it is.

I've no idea when I'll build this one. You mean the Zeta Plus MSZ-006A1? That was the last one prior to this one that I got.

Oh really? Cool... Yeah that's the one... The MG one.

I use the net to keep up. Dalong.net and HLJ plus several other sites.

Heh, I have paid a LOT of money to hlj.

Most recent SD I got was this:

Most recent model that is non-Gundam I have is:

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 am

I don't really keep up, just watch whatever I can find that I like, hit the net to see if there's models I want, and then risk heading to the local store that carries them but doesn't, apparantly, allow browsing, loitering, or window shopping.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:11 am

sdsichero wrote:Heh, I have paid a LOT of money to hlj.

Most recent SD I got was this:

Most recent model that is non-Gundam I have is:

Yeah, I got that one. :-D

Those are nice. I'm trying to only drool for Gundam and Macross and L-Gaim and...and... I fail at control. :oops:
With Gundam, I'm focusing on 1 to 100 scale and the Master Grades.
I love the pix I've seen of the upcoming Macross VF-25F kit and Vajra.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum