Advertisement

Anime & Manga Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 pm

sdsichero wrote:Liked Champloo a lot. Spriggan had some good action but I never thought it was super solid as a story.

Do want to see Black Lagoon but haven't yet and heard mixed things about Coyote Ragtime Show.

Which of the Macross series did you see? All of them?

Everything but Macross 7 and whatever the new show is......

Saw 5 minutes of 7 and new it was crap. Fly by guitar....what the fuck........
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 709 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Everything but Macross 7 and whatever the new show is......

Saw 5 minutes of 7 and new it was crap. Fly by guitar....what the fuck........

I tried to watch 7. Wanted to see the links between that and the original. It wasn't anything significant into too much into it (I didn't watch too far into it) I admit to a weird liking of some of the music.

Macross 0 was good (only saw the first few but have it).

Macross f was also good (watched half so far).

Macross Plus is one of my favorites.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 pm

sdsichero wrote:I tried to watch 7. Wanted to see the links between that and the original. It wasn't anything significant into too much into it (I didn't watch too far into it) I admit to a weird liking of some of the music.

Macross 0 was good (only saw the first few but have it).

Macross f was also good (watched half so far).

Macross Plus is one of my favorites.

Other than DYRL, Macross plus is my definate favorite, followed by Zero. Havent seen F. Would have liked more Flashback, but alas, 2 music videos is all we got.
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 976 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:BGC was definately the best,
followed by Ad Police Files,
followed by the AD Police manga,
followed by Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 (which for some reason is never listed as a prequel, even though the madox suit has been directly referenced),
followed by grand mal,
followed by Parasite Dolls,
followed by Bbblegum Crash,
followed by AD Police the series,
Followed by BGC2040, the worst of the bunch.......

BGC and its related spinoffs were my first favorite anime, and remained there for a long time...

Its still in my top 5, after Appleseed, GITS: SAC, Cowboy Bebop,

Metal Skin Panic is not related to BGC. That was an in joke because it was Artmic doing the designs, that's all.

GITS is great as in Cowboy Bebop, but even the more recent Appleseed anime was disappointing compared to the manga. IMO.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Metal Skin Panic is not related to BGC. That was an in joke because it was Artmic doing the designs, that's all.

GITS is great as in Cowboy Bebop, but even the more recent Appleseed anime was disappointing compared to the manga. IMO.

Dude, when Shinji Aramaki (director of both) says they are related, they are.

Yeah, the appleseed sequal was just kinda..meh It was pretty but the story was lame and kinda derived, especially the crappy matrix ending.

Was really hoping the TV series would be awesome, but that just fell through completely..... sigh

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:probably Spriggan

But it's only one film...... so I am re-evaluating it's position

Samurai Champloo may end up taking it's spot.

I am really fond of Black Lagoon

Coyote Ragtime was really good too.

Macross/Robotech was what started me out, but its become really hit or miss.

Spriggan, I only read that original manga adpation that viz but out waaaaay back. Liked it, but have yet to watch the movie.

Champloo... zero interest in it.

Black Lagoon, I watched the first handful of episodes and liked it. With a thrid season coming, I need to catch up at some point.

Coyote Ragtime, watched a little more then half of it. Kind of a Cowboy Bebop vibe to it, but not as good, yet still a good show.

Macross rocks, Roboblech sucks.

The original show was good, DYRL was better in some ways, Macross Plus and Macross Zero tie for the best, Macross F comes in next and Macross 7.... poor compared to the others. Mind you, I understand that the story picks up later on.
Ehhh, it was made for the Music fans while Plus was made for the sci-fi mecha fans.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Dude, when Shinji Aramaki (director of both) says they are related, they are.

Yeah, the appleseed sequal was just kinda..meh It was pretty but the story was lame and kinda derived, especially the crappy matrix ending.

Was really hoping the TV series would be awesome, but that just fell through completely..... sigh

Really? News to me or I forgot. Oh well.

At least it was better animated. That's all there.

GitS? The tv show, like the movies, were reinterpretations. Not bad, but nothing will beat the manga.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Other than DYRL, Macross plus is my definate favorite, followed by Zero. Havent seen F. Would have liked more Flashback, but alas, 2 music videos is all we got.

I'd still love to see a Megaroad series breaking out from Flashback.

I'm not holding my breath. We'll see something like 20 Gundam series before Tatsunoko wises up on that.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Really? News to me or I forgot. Oh well.

At least it was better animated. That's all there.

GitS? The tv show, like the movies, were reinterpretations. Not bad, but nothing will beat the manga.

I dunno, I think the TV show is actually as good. The movies just sucked......

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I'd still love to see a Megaroad series breaking out from Flashback.

I'm not holding my breath. We'll see something like 20 Gundam series before Tatsunoko wises up on that.

Bastards.......

Megaroad was the tits...........

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:I dunno, I think the TV show is actually as good. The movies just sucked......

I liked the first film. We see the series in much the same light I think.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Bastards.......

Megaroad was the tits...........

I loved the design of the ship plus the continuity has the ship disappearing four years after it's launch, when it got near the galactic core. Plenty of story fodder there. They would have had several VFs besides the Valkyries and Lightnings.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Five Star Stories needs to be animated as a series.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Spriggan, I only read that original manga adpation that viz but out waaaaay back. Liked it, but have yet to watch the movie.

you really really need to see it........

Champloo... zero interest in it.

Out of curiosity, why not, not big into fuedal japan type stuff?
Black Lagoon, I watched the first handful of episodes and liked it. With a thrid season coming, I need to catch up at some point.

I still need to get the second season, the end of the first, with Remy and the assisn chick blowing up half the city trying to kill each other in an roaming gunfight was too cool for words...

Coyote Ragtime, watched a little more then half of it. Kind of a Cowboy Bebop vibe to it, but not as good, yet still a good show.

Yup

Macross rocks, Roboblech sucks.

If it weren't for robotech, you never, ever wold have seen macross, or really any anime for that matter. The popularity of Robotech is what paved the way for pretty much the entire manga/anime import industry by creating a fan base wanting more.

And regardless of what ever else, Macek was fucking brilliant, he took three completely unrelated series, and melded them together to become something epic on a scale never before seen on american tv. Its just a shame that every project he has done since has kinda stalled. Robotech Shadowchronicles was actually pretty fucking badass.

The original show was good, DYRL was better in some ways, Macross Plus and Macross Zero tie for the best, Macross F comes in next and Macross 7.... poor compared to the others. Mind you, I understand that the story picks up later on.
Ehhh, it was made for the Music fans while Plus was made for the sci-fi mecha fans.

Honestly, I love it for the military aspect of it. That the planes transform into giant robots is my least favorite part of the entire thing. Would prefer them to just remain planes.

But yeah, Plus beats Zero just because Zero wasted waaaaaay to much time on the hokey hippy magic crap.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Five Star Stories needs to be animated as a series.

The movie was ass achingly boring :(

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum