Advertisement

Arrested Development

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Re: Arrested Development

Postby outsider » Wed May 29, 2013 8:00 am

I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm loving it so far.
Are people generally liking it or hating it? This article makes it sound like it's a huge disappointment, but I don't buy it.
Amoebas wrote:I'm certainly caught up in it.

I have 5 people coming over Sunday morning (7am) to start watching the new 15 episodes.

I'm providing the vodka (and toast). Others are bringing: juice, candy beans, ice cream sandwiches, frozen bananas, macaroni (let me finish) salad, etc.
That is awesome. I wish I had friends that got into stuff like that - I'm often a lone wolf without a geek pack. :-(
I would totally have a Breaking Bad finale party if I knew anyone IRL that actually watched the show. :x :smt011
-

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 am

Everyone I know watches Breaking Bad. I'm the only person I know who doesn't. Oh, and my brother.

Who is bringing the cornballs?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 am

outsider wrote:I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm loving it so far.
Are people generally liking it or hating it? This article makes it sound like it's a huge disappointment, but I don't buy it.
That is awesome. I wish I had friends that got into stuff like that - I'm often a lone wolf without a geek pack. :-(
I would totally have a Breaking Bad finale party if I knew anyone IRL that actually watched the show. :x :smt011

Or smoked meth.....

The show is getting mixed reviews mainly because it's incredibly difficult to just review it as a whole since it has so many peaks and valleys. It's not what it was and it's an experiment in story telling that just doesn't really work. You have jokes being set up in one episode and then being punchlined in another and then being retold and punchlined in the background of a another one.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 am

And Ron Howard is terrible.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 am

guitarsmashley wrote:The show is getting mixed reviews mainly because it's incredibly difficult to just review it as a whole since it has so many peaks and valleys. It's not what it was and it's an experiment in story telling that just doesn't really work. You have jokes being set up in one episode and then being punchlined in another and then being retold and punchlined in the background of a another one.

I agree with what you're saying except I think it actually does work. It's almost completely experimental in that it's using a completely new delivery format for the episodes as well, so with this new way of delivering episodes to the viewer, they've also taken an experimental approach in dealing with how the show is made, the dynamics of the comedy, etc.

Perhaps a lot of people went in thinking it was going to be more or less done in the same format as the original network-aired episodes but they've really done something different with the Netflix (semi-)Original Series approach and I like it. It's episodic, but not necessarily meant to be watched in weekly doses. I like that. Reminds me of S2 of the Wire.

Plus some of the more subtle running gags are worth seeing repeated over and over again. GOB's bees and George's sweat lodge were hilarious.

edit: yes, Ron Howard is terrible.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 am

Keb wrote:I agree with what you're saying except I think it actually does work. It's almost completely experimental in that it's using a completely new delivery format for the episodes as well, so with this new way of delivering episodes to the viewer, they've also taken an experimental approach in dealing with how the show is made, the dynamics of the comedy, etc.

Perhaps a lot of people went in thinking it was going to be more or less done in the same format as the original network-aired episodes but they've really done something different with the Netflix (semi-)Original Series approach and I like it. It's episodic, but not necessarily meant to be watched in weekly doses. I like that. Reminds me of S2 of the Wire.

Plus some of the more subtle running gags are worth seeing repeated over and over again. GOB's bees and George's sweat lodge were hilarious.

edit: yes, Ron Howard is terrible.

Disagree, Anything involving George was over all terrible. I did watch it one 7.5 hour chunk and I rank characters "arcs"? as thusly. Michael, George, Lucille, Buster, George Michael, Lindsey, Maeby, GOB, Tobias. It wasn't the fact that it wasn't what it was it was the idea that it wasn't much of anything and ended so anti-climactically that are giving some of the reviewers problems coming to an overall conclusion. Which is why I like them are giving it very mixed reviews. A movie has been announced but what kind of formula will it follow?

- Les Paul

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 am

I like the Netflix method of providing an entire season of episodes all at once. Some people may binge all the episodes, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I like being able to sit down and watch two, maybe three episodes at a time.

I hope it's a delivery format that more production companies continue. Maybe do six or seven episodes each quarter/season?
-

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am

outsider wrote:I like the Netflix method of providing an entire season of episodes all at once. Some people may binge all the episodes, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I like being able to sit down and watch two, maybe three episodes at a time.

I hope it's a delivery format that more production companies continue. Maybe do six or seven episodes each quarter/season?

Seeing as how it's the third series they've done this with, I don't think it's going anywhere.

- Les Paul

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby LobsterJ » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am

I generally liked this. George Sr/Oscar and Lucille 1 and 2 were stuff that I kind of found dragging for me, especially everything regarding the sweat lodge and the wall. Buster, Tobias, and GOB I found worthwhile. Didn't really care about the Michael/George Michael stuff.

Man, did Michael Cera really turn out ugly as hell. When the show originally aired it could have gone either way. Good thing hes a famous actor.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 am

guitarsmashley wrote:The show is getting mixed reviews mainly because it's incredibly difficult to just review it as a whole since it has so many peaks and valleys. It's not what it was and it's an experiment in story telling that just doesn't really work. You have jokes being set up in one episode and then being punchlined in another and then being retold and punchlined in the background of a another one.

I found a number of the early reviewers claim they only watched x amount of episodes - hardly a fair critique of the entire thing if they haven't seen it all.

And AD has a history of having punchlines told many episodes after the set up (and then retold). Heck they've even had punchlines before the set up...

Buster looking at his long lost red hand chair and stating that he never knew how much he missed his hand (before he lost his actual hand).
George Michael telling his dad he has stupid girl problems and Michael replying back that he doesn't even have a stupid girl to have problems with (before he meets Rita).

As for retelling jokes - I still laugh every time I see a new blue handprint somewhere in the model house. It's the same joke, retold often, and it works every time.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am

I've still got two more episodes to go but it seems to be getting funnier and funnier as it goes along as more of the jokes pay off and build on each other.
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 am

Marvel's just being dicks about this FF thing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am

Amoebas wrote:I found a number of the early reviewers claim they only watched x amount of episodes - hardly a fair critique of the entire thing if they haven't seen it all.

And AD has a history of having punchlines told many episodes after the set up (and then retold). Heck they've even had punchlines before the set up...

Buster looking at his long lost red hand chair and stating that he never knew how much he missed his hand (before he lost his actual hand).
George Michael telling his dad he has stupid girl problems and Michael replying back that he doesn't even have a stupid girl to have problems with (before he meets Rita).

As for retelling jokes - I still laugh every time I see a new blue handprint somewhere in the model house. It's the same joke, retold often, and it works every time.

All of those occurrences are in the original series run. And we're broken up over several episodes and are call backs to other jokes/foreshadowing. The repeated jokes in the new season aren't call backs they're literally showing the same joke. Anustart while funny the first 11 times got a little old on the 12th.

- Les Paul

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 am

Netflix wants more 'Arrested Development'

The Bluth family may be back for another ride in the stair car.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told CNBC this morning that the company would be interested in commissioning more episodes of Arrested Development if the talent was willing. Hastings stressed that commissioning more Arrested really came down to cast availability — a problem that held up the fourth season of the cult favorite as well. If the cast is able to get together again, it’ll be interesting to see what form the next chapter of Arrested takes, as the fourth season of the show seemed to set up a long-rumored movie (as opposed to more episodic television).

Hastings declined to release the exact numbers of how many people have streamed the show since its debut Sunday, simply saying, “It’s been huge, just as we had hoped.” He elaborated that they aren’t yet releasing numbers because “Netflix is about being able to watch when you want … So we’re really not focused on the day-one ratings, it’s really over the first year.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/30/netfl ... velopment/

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Thu May 30, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm done watching them. My biggest disappointment: Gob never refers to Sudden Valley as "Sex City"
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum