Advertisement

Arrow Annotations - S02E06: "Keep Your Enemies Closer"

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts

Arrow Annotations - S02E06: "Keep Your Enemies Closer"

Postby LOLtron » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 am

Arrow Annotations - S02E06:

A look at the comic references and Easter Eggs from last night's episode.

Did you watch last night's episode of Arrow? Are you wondering what connections the episode has with the comics? Do you like Easter eggs (and not just the brightly colored kind?) Arrow Annotations is here to help, providing some additional notes and background info from last night’s episode. Arrow spoilers follow!

Task Force X - Task Force X is the official supervisory organization that oversees the Suicide Squad, a team of superpowered individuals (usually villains) that completes high risk missions for the United States government in exchange for early parole or other arrangements.  Occasionally, the Suicide Squad is also referred to by the name Task Force X, but usually they're regarded as separate entities.  

The Suicide Squad was formed in the 1950s as a response to the Justice Society of America disbanding in the wake of the McCarthy trials.  It's earliest missions were to fight monsters, but the concept was later revived by John Ostrander as a supervillain team completing politically sensitive espionage missions.  Task Force X is typically overseen by Amanda Waller, and is typically led by Rick Flag Jr. on missions. 

Staple members of the Suicide Squad include Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, Count Vertigo, (all of whom we've seen before on Arrow), Captain Boomerang (a Flash villain) and Plastique.   The Suicide Squad's current incarnation includes Harley Quinn, Deadshot and King Shark.

Amanda Waller - Amanda Waller AKA The Wall is a longtime government operative and frequent antagonist/ally of DC's superheroes.   Waller is the head of Task Force X, and has led most incarnations of the Suicide Squad.  She also founded the Agency, an international branch of Task Force X that later evolved into Checkmate. After Checkmate became a UN sanctioned organization, Waller became its White Queen (in charge of the organization's operational affairs) and nearly took over the entire organization before being stopped by Mr. Terrific (Checkmate's White King) and Sasha Bordeaux, who forced her to resign.  Waller also served as the Secratary of Metahuman Affairs under Lex Luthor's presidency.

While Amanda Waller was originally portrayed as an overweight older black woman, she was significantly slimmed down and de-aged in the New 52, leading to a bit of controversy.  Largely, her domineering personality has remained intact during DC's continuity reboot.  

Waller has appeared in several television shows and movies, including Green Lantern (portrayed by Angela Bassett, where she was to act as a bridge between various DC superhero movies similar to Agent Coulson's role in Marvel's cinematic universe), Smallville (portrayed by Pam Grier, where she ran a version of the Suicide Squad) and Justice League Unlimited (voiced by CCH Pounder, where she intimidates Batman by hinting that she knows his real identity).   Arrow's version is played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson, who also appeared in Starz's Sparticus series, where she was Manu Bennett's (Slade in Arrow) love interest. 

Waller was created by John Ostrander, Len Wein and John Byrne. 

Deadshot - This is the first appearance of Deadshot this season.  We first discussed Deadshot in the Arrow Annotations for "Lone Gunman". 

Particle Accelerator in Central City - Central City's controversial particle accelerator makes another appearance on Channel 52.  I think the writers are hinting at something...

Das Uranverien - Ivo correctly names the German nuclear program as Das Uranverein, which translates to the Uranium Society in English. On a sidenote, if you enjoy alternate histories, you'd probably enjoy the absolutely delightful Manhattan Projects comic series published by Image.  Seriously, one of the best comics on the stands today.

Mirakulu - For a moment, I thought Professor Ivo was calling the Japanese supersoldier serum "Miraclo", which is the name of the drug used by the DC hero Hourman to give him temporary superstrength and invulnerability.  Unfortunately, closed captioning confirmed that he was calling the drug "Mirakulu" (for reference's sake, the Japanese word for miracle is "kiseki").  However, we'll probably see more of Miraclo if CW's Hourman series makes it into development. 

Tahiti - Tahiti's been frequently mentioned in ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD as the site of Agent Coulson's recovery from his injuries sustained in The Avengers.  Coincidentally, Coulson's team also rescued a government agent from a Russian gulag in Tuesday's episode.  

Antoli Knyazev - We first discussed Knyazev in the Arrow Annotations for Vertigo.

The Russian Word for Optimist - Knyazev is correct, there is no Russian word for optimist.  

Sheryl Sandberg - Rochev mentions Sheryl Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Facebook.  Sandberg released a book in March 2013 entitled Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, which discusses the struggles women face in obtaining leadership positions at work.  

H.I.V.E. - H.I.V.E. (Heirarchy of International Vengence and Eliminations) is a mysterious evil organization in DC's comic universe that specializes in terrorism and assassinations.  H.I.V.E. specializes in eliminating superpowered targets, in order to gain prestige and clout among the underworld community.  H.I.V.E. hired Slade Wilson's son, Grant, to kill the Teen Titans, a mission that would ultimately lead to his death.  Slade took up the contract after Grant died, and has held a grudge against the Teen Titans since.   H.I.V.E. was later taken over by the DC villain Queen Bee.  

That's it for the week.  Two weeks until Barry Allen!

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 435 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Arrow Annotations - S02E06:

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Diggle mentioned A.R.G.U.S. this episode also.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 980 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm

He bedded her and got Felecity all pissed at him. Guess she really liked the rumors that she and Ollie are a secret item.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 538 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I love this show and all the little nods to the bigger DCU that they have each and every episode!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:55 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Diggle mentioned A.R.G.U.S. this episode also.

yes but that's not the first time its been mentioned, it was mentioned last year as well.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 252 posts

Postby TimH » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:21 pm

I was really hoping that a shock reveal of the episode would be that Diggle's wife and Deadshot were on a mission to Russia as the Suicide Squad (in my fantasy, Diggle's wife would have been the Col. Flagg equivalent).

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:59 pm

TimH wrote:I was really hoping that a shock reveal of the episode would be that Diggle's wife and Deadshot were on a mission to Russia as the Suicide Squad (in my fantasy, Diggle's wife would have been the Col. Flagg equivalent).

i kind of have a theory that Diggle will be the Col. Flagg equivalent and end up leading the Suicide Squad...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 271 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:25 am

Did Tumblr really go apeshit about this? :lol:

Also had to Google this: According to http://movies.stackexchange.com/questio ... 5194#15194 :
What he said to the Russians was something like "If you do this, my people will make you and your children orphans".

Overall though, this "I WILL NO LONGER KILL" theme is getting old.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 771 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:01 am

Okay, I must be the only one that never saw Oliver & Felicity hooking up. :?
-

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 435 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:29 am

"Oliver gets turned on when women speak Russian" :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 771 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 am

I also don't think Summer Glau/River (or whatever her name is now) is that attractive. She's not ugly, but she's not exactly appealing, either.
-

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 am

outsider wrote:I also don't think Summer Glau/River (or whatever her name is now) is that attractive. She's not ugly, but she's not exactly appealing, either.

The Summer Glau wiki will hunt and kill you for that statement.

Also, I agree.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 am

Why would he and Felecity not hook up? Well, why would she not have wanted to hook up with him? He's saved her life more then once. He does badass stuff while still being a good guy. He's taken her on adventures, he's hurting on stuff. Face it, women always choose men and treat them as theirs even when they aren't. Add to that the line about everyone in the company thinking she and Ollie were an item anyway, she had to have heard that, thought about it and liked it.

It's like that twisted sex/romance stuff women read and watch.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
The Summer Glau wiki will hunt and kill you for that statement.

Also, I agree.

Yup, those guys make Psivage look normal.

She's good looking, but not as good as many others.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 pm

outsider wrote:I also don't think Summer Glau/River (or whatever her name is now) is that attractive. She's not ugly, but she's not exactly appealing, either.

She looks like she has a little bit of Down's Syndrome. :smt102 :smt005

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum