Advertisement

Banned from Rob's board!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

pedi
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Banned from Rob's board!

Postby pedi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 pm

hah! ;)

Advertisement

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:57 pm

A little while ago someone asked me to describe Robs artwork and all that popped in my head was "Scratch and Stiff".
[center]Image[/center]

ErickCruz
Mad Hatter

Postby ErickCruz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 am

Matt Brady "accidentally" deleted the original thread that accompanied the interview

As i was reading it i saw that Fig got banned as well from Rob's board. That guy went from hater to fan back to hater, or was it "fan".
I AM GOD! er... BATFAN
AKA the Punk

[url=http://erickcruz.deviantart.com/]My artwork[/url]
[url=http://erick-cruz.webs.com/]MY cheap @$$ website[/url]

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Postby blagblag » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 am

I have no interest in this book. Not because of any anger I have towards Rob, I just don't like this kind of stuff, thematically.

I really don't think some of the digital paints look good, AT ALL. The older ones, near the bottom of the article, look halfway decent, but the newer ones (the guy leaping with the knife, girl on motorcycle, etc) just look really cheap. I actually think it makes the art look worse in some cases. They remind me of the cut screens in old NES video games.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

dick buff wrote:I have no interest in this book. Not because of any anger I have towards Rob, I just don't like this kind of stuff, thematically.

I really don't think some of the digital paints look good, AT ALL. The older ones, near the bottom of the article, look halfway decent, but the newer ones (the guy leaping with the knife, girl on motorcycle, etc) just look really cheap. I actually think it makes the art look worse in some cases. They remind me of the cut screens in old NES video games.

no panel to panel continuity.
[center]Image[/center]

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 am

dick buff wrote:I have no interest in this book. Not because of any anger I have towards Rob, I just don't like this kind of stuff, thematically.

Digital painting is just a tough sell for me.

This is not to kiss Pedi's ass, but it looks good on his work. Maybe it's the muted palette, I'm not sure, but I like it there.

With the stuff Swift used to do, people looked shiny. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not sure how I feel about on the new Cable series either. The art team there is very good, but the pages can seem static sometimes, even in the middle of an action scene.

I get what you're saying though and I completely agree. The style on Armageddon does indeed look like some of those cut scenes from the NES games.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Postby blagblag » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:58 am

jsalwen wrote:

Digital painting is just a tough sell for me.

This is not to kiss Pedi's ass, but it looks good on his work. Maybe it's the muted palette, I'm not sure, but I like it there.

With the stuff Swift used to do, people looked shiny. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not sure how I feel about on the new Cable series either. The art team there is very good, but the pages can seem static sometimes, even in the middle of an action scene.

I get what you're saying though and I completely agree. The style on Armageddon does indeed look like some of those cut scenes from the NES games.

Yeah, Pedi's style of color lends itself real well to the page. Everything meshes well there, but with The Armageddon Stuff, when I look at it, I'm actually thinking "hey, this is painted in Photoshop". I don't know if that's a good way of describing it, but it just kind of takes me out of the story because instead of enjoying the overall art as a whole, I can see the various components of it jutting out. You know how when you hear a really good song or see a really good movie, you just get sucked into the overall portrayal, you don't notice all the "tricks" and technical details that actually are conveying it. It's all a matter of interpretation of course, some people love the look of AN, I just don't really.

Yeah Swift's people were way too shiny and unnatural looking. He appeared to have a good amount of skill though, so I always assumed that over time he'd develop a more natural style of coloring.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03 pm

I seem to recall a Wolverine by Marat that looked very shiny. He was no doubt talented, I'm not knocking that.

Maybe the problem with Armageddon is that it has a mix of pencillers and couple different digital painters as well. That's going to keep it from having a cohesive feel.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:21 pm

jsalwen wrote:I seem to recall a Wolverine by Marat that looked very shiny. He was no doubt talented, I'm not knocking that.

Maybe the problem with Armageddon is that it has a mix of pencillers and couple different digital painters as well. That's going to keep it from having a cohesive feel.

It's really bad when it changes pencilers on the same page. My beef with Marat is he's like a liefeld lite artist.
[center]Image[/center]

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

It's heating up at the Rama.:)

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Postby blagblag » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 pm

scottmdavis wrote:
jsalwen wrote:I seem to recall a Wolverine by Marat that looked very shiny. He was no doubt talented, I'm not knocking that.

It's really bad when it changes pencilers on the same page. My beef with Marat is he's like a liefeld lite artist.

Marat is really hit-and-miss in my book. I've seen him do some pages/pinups that were really impressive, nicely detailed pieces. And then other times his work is really...empty and unfinished looking, like he didnt want to take the time to finish adding the details. The guys on Rob's forum always praised it as being "clean", but to me it just looked unfinished. I guess it'd be different if he stuck to just one style or the other, but like in Youngblood Imperial or that Shatterstar miniseries, one panel would look real nice and the next panel would look like he just got bored halfway through.

blagblag
Designer Interactive

Postby blagblag » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 pm

jsalwen wrote:It's heating up at the Rama.:)

And Greg O showed up!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:36 pm

I've missed Greg.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Marat is really hit-and-miss in my book. I've seen him do some pages/pinups that were really impressive, nicely detailed pieces. And then other times his work is really...empty and unfinished looking, like he didnt want to take the time to finish adding the details. The guys on Rob's forum always praised it as being "clean", but to me it just looked unfinished. I guess it'd be different if he stuck to just one style or the other, but like in Youngblood Imperial or that Shatterstar miniseries, one panel would look real nice and the next panel would look like he just got bored halfway through.

I bought a Fighting American pinup from Marat and it was badly done, the shield was all wonky, and before I bought it from him, I told him to fix all the mistakes on it before he sent it to me. It looks slightly better now.
[center]Image[/center]

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Do you have a scan? I'd love to see it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum