Wednesday, September 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Those who arrive survive. Maybe."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Batman Begins

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:29 pm

twoheads wrote:I'll take a well thought out movie with believable character development and sub par action scenes over a movie with slick action scenes that is otherwise a mess every. single. day. of. the. week. John Woo is severely overrated.

Except for Hard Boiled and the A Better Tomorrow series.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm

DaReekstah wrote:Except for Hard Boiled and the A Better Tomorrow series.

If you've only seen his American movies it's easy to dismiss the guy because they suck for the most part. However his older stuff like that is awesome.

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm

twoheads wrote:I'll take a well thought out movie with believable character development and sub par action scenes over a movie with slick action scenes that is otherwise a mess every. single. day. of. the. week. John Woo is severely overrated.

In a genre about guys in wacky outfits wailing on each other good fight scenes are a must.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Hard Boiled is one of my all time favorite action movies.

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Aaron_W wrote:In a genre about guys in wacky outfits wailing on each other good fight scenes are a must.

I disagree, I'd say it's nice to have, but when the rest of the movie is so well made it's forgiveable if the fight scenes are just 'okay.'

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:56 pm

They're good, but there is still a lot of style over substance in those movies.

I mean, he's not bad, I just think John Woo gets a lot more credit than he deserves.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm

twoheads wrote:They're good, but there is still a lot of style over substance in those movies.

I mean, he's not bad, I just think John Woo gets a lot more credit than he deserves.

I'd say the amount of style and substance in those movies is about even.

And fuck.. what are you expecting? Lawrence of Arabia or something? Not every movie needs to be an Oscar contender to be good.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Spiderrob wrote:Yeah. realistic. :lol:

If people can ridiculously claim the Marvel U is a 'realistic' comic book universe, Milton can sure as hell claim the villians in BB are realistic. :P

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Frost wrote:Yeah but the Scarecrow isn't a freakin fighter like Ra's or Bats. He never was. So to be tasered by Rachel make's sense since she was carrying that sucker around for most of the movie and it wasn't working.

Heck he was taken out by Bats in lesser time. Still your quite right the "I don't have to save you." shouldn't have been put in. Instead they should have went with Bats still trying to save Ra's who walks away or let's go of his hand laughing insanely as he and the car plunge to a explosive finale ala TAS.

I know Scarecrow isn't much of a fighter, but he still went out in a lame way.

It wasn't a big deal, I just thought it could have been done better.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:49 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Spider-man 2 was great and all, but X-Men 2 was much better.

Oh thank god someone else out there thinks this too.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:53 pm

jsalwen wrote:Oh thank god someone else out there thinks this too.

Jean's stupid decision at the end brings it down a couple of notches. It felt forced and I didn't feel sad in the least.

Doc Ock's death was touching.

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Jean's stupid decision at the end brings it down a couple of notches. It felt forced and I didn't feel sad in the least.

I thought it set up the sequel perfectly but they completely ruined the payoff.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Jean's stupid decision at the end brings it down a couple of notches. It felt forced and I didn't feel sad in the least.

i'll buy that. i still think it's my second favorite "capes" movie behind Spidey 2 though, which will remain my #1 until somebody somewhere does something that trumps the train scene.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

I didn't feel sad about that either, but I felt this was a nice set-up.

It could have been awesome depending on the follow-up and it's too bad X-men 3 was simply painful.

Just a terrible script that had no focus.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

chap22 wrote:i'll buy that. i still think it's my second favorite "capes" movie behind Spidey 2 though, which will remain my #1 until somebody somewhere does something that trumps the train scene.

I have my own complaints about Spidey ridiculously removing his mask around 100 times in Spidey 2, but that train scene really did make me want to stand up and salute.

leave a comment with facebook