Sunday, May 1, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We put the lotion in the basket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Batman Begins

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:57 pm

TheScantronman wrote:I thought it set up the sequel perfectly but they completely ruined the payoff.


Dude, you're freaking me out.

It's like telepathy. :shock: :)
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:59 pm

jsalwen wrote:I didn't feel sad about that either, but I felt this was a nice set-up.

It could have been awesome depending on the follow-up and it's too bad X-men 3 was simply painful.

Just a terrible script that had no focus.


X3 was definitely a huge step down in the franchise, but I still liked it for what it was. It did completely waste the potential of the Phoenix, though, and I'd have much preferred if it were Scott taking the kill-shot and not Wolvie. I thought it had been settled that Jean chose Scott.
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 pm

It's like Matrix Reloaded. It's really not a bad film, despite the mud rave. The set-ups in this film were good, but the payoff simply blew.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:X3 was definitely a huge step down in the franchise, but I still liked it for what it was. It did completely waste the potential of the Phoenix, though, and I'd have much preferred if it were Scott taking the kill-shot and not Wolvie. I thought it had been settled that Jean chose Scott.

agreed.
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:X3 was definitely a huge step down in the franchise, but I still liked it for what it was. It did completely waste the potential of the Phoenix, though, and I'd have much preferred if it were Scott taking the kill-shot and not Wolvie. I thought it had been settled that Jean chose Scott.


X-3 would have been fine if it hadn't followed X1 and 2. I think those 2 films are some of the best comic movies made. X3 simply paled in comparison.

The ideas in the film aren't bad, they simply lacked focus. Too many stories.

Dooz

Postby Dooz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Aaron_W wrote:The visual style failed since it didn't do what it was supposed to do, show the power of Batman in hand to hand. It was a jumpy mess that made it difficult to follow the action.


ahmen. considering how much care and practice was put into making Bats' fighting style visually and physically unique, the final showcase of that work was subpar, at best.

Royal Nonesuch

Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm

I thought the movie was pretty mediocre as well. It really started to fall apart for me around the time when Bruce returned to Gotham City.


Oh, and the whole movie was edited with a hacksaw, not just the fight scenes. It's just that the fight scenes were where it was the most egregious.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm

jsalwen wrote:It's like Matrix Reloaded. It's really not a bad film, despite the mud rave. The set-ups in this film were good, but the payoff simply blew.


Cept Smith's. Was the only great payoff.
User avatar

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

jsalwen wrote:X-3 would have been fine if it hadn't followed X1 and 2. I think those 2 films are some of the best comic movies made. X3 simply paled in comparison.

The ideas in the film aren't bad, they simply lacked focus. Too many stories.


That's how I feel about it as well. There's some great stuff in there with Beast, Madrox (the part where he imitates a whole camp of folks kills me), Colossus, Magneto, Mystique, and some of the others. They just tried to do way way too many storylines that didn't belong together and they tried to repeat the story from the previous movies as one of those stories.

I blame the studio for rushing it to beat Superman Returns and for low balling the previous team which led to them moving on to Superman in the first place. I think the fact Marsden was in Superman also led to him not being a bigger role in X3 It was a lot of things coming together to ruin the movie.

However on repeat viewings on HBO and such I've found that X3 holds up pretty well and that it's easy to focus on the positive and ignore the negatives, mainly because most of the negatives are easy to reverse in future movies if they want to make them. It's the opposite of Spidey 3 which I watched a second time when it debuted on Starz and hated even more and couldn't enjoy at all.
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:That's how I feel about it as well. There's some great stuff in there with Beast, Madrox (the part where he imitates a whole camp of folks kills me), Colossus, Magneto, Mystique, and some of the others. They just tried to do way way too many storylines that didn't belong together and they tried to repeat the story from the previous movies as one of those stories.

I blame the studio for rushing it to beat Superman Returns and for low balling the previous team which led to them moving on to Superman in the first place. I think the fact Marsden was in Superman also led to him not being a bigger role in X3 It was a lot of things coming together to ruin the movie.

However on repeat viewings on HBO and such I've found that X3 holds up pretty well and that it's easy to focus on the positive and ignore the negatives, mainly because most of the negatives are easy to reverse in future movies if they want to make them. It's the opposite of Spidey 3 which I watched a second time when it debuted on Starz and hated even more and couldn't enjoy at all.


Agreed.

There's the whole Angel/cure thing which was the motivator for the movie, but never fleshed out. There's the whole Rogue thing where she simply disappears from the movie.

Even Kitty and Bobby was a cool thing that also was never fleshed out.

They kill off Scott for no real reason. If it was to show that Jean lacked control, the impact was lessened by not showing the death.

Just too many plot threads to make a cohesive whole.

Look at the tightness of X2. The attack on the president leading to Striker which leads to Wolverine. Striker and Xavier have a past as well. Pyro is used to great effect to show the disenchantment some mutants may have with Xavier. The movie executes by the numbers.

Not to mention, any movie where Wolverine brutally kills a bunch of commandos, but gets a PG-13 is aces in my book. Sure there was no blood, but watch that scene again. He is absolutely vicious and it's awesome.
User avatar

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:55 pm

I went into X3 with high hopes and was very disappointed. It's not as bad since the first time I saw it but still, it's not that impressive. I can watch X2 100 more times than I could X3.
User avatar

Crump

Hater

Postby Crump » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 am

Back to Batman Begins, I think Bale's Batman voice is pretty silly. Other than that and Katie Holmes, the movie was really fun.

Dooz

Postby Dooz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:16 am

Crump wrote:Back to Batman Begins, I think Bale's Batman voice is pretty silly. Other than that and Katie Holmes, the movie was really fun.


The DK voice only seems worse...


this is a franchise that doesnt belive in suspension of disbelief.
User avatar

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:56 am

Crump wrote:Back to Batman Begins, I think Bale's Batman voice is pretty silly. Other than that and Katie Holmes, the movie was really fun.


I actually think it makes sense for him to try and disguise his voice when in costume. If he talked in his normal voice there's a chance, however small, that someone might recognize it and make the connection. It's not as good as the animated version, but since Bruce isn't a trained actor or anything you'd expect the voice to be a bit over the top in trying to sound intimidating.

Dooz

Postby Dooz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:12 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I actually think it makes sense for him to try and disguise his voice when in costume. If he talked in his normal voice there's a chance, however small, that someone might recognize it and make the connection. It's not as good as the animated version, but since Bruce isn't a trained actor or anything you'd expect the voice to be a bit over the top in trying to sound intimidating.


Dark Knight script page 3

*lucius fox hands bruce wayne a small chip*

Fox: This is our new voice modulator. Completely unrecordable and unrecognizable by any audio surveillance devices...although I dont see how it would ever be useful to you, Mr. Wayne...

Wayne: Well, you know how I'm always trying to avoid calls Lucius...

*both men laugh...then laugh some more...then awkwardly laugh...then Fox coughs and looks reletively bored with pretending to be an idiot*

Fox: Well...sir...dont fall off any tall buildings...as "bruce wayne" i mean...

Wayne: Oh, I wont Lucius, my father taught me too well for that...so...um...


*wayne awkwardly backs out of room, into high-rise batcave, which is conveniently localed in down town Gotham because NO ONE would ever expect a realistic superhero to live in the sub-burbs*

Wayne: That DA chick is soooooo going to die.

Fox (muffled because a thin wall has lowered between the Wayne Corp room and the Bat-Sublet*: Totally.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

cron