Monday, May 2, 2016 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not The Comics Reporter!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Batman Begins

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 am

Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't sooo great? I mean, it was decent and all and entertaining, but the last 1/3 kinda...sucked. The fight scenes were lousy. Scarecrow was a crappy villain. The girlfriend was lame and the actress was a lightweight. I hated the Batmobile. While the training was interesting, we've seen it in 10,000 different movies-many of them with Liam Neeson himself :lol: It wasn't much fun or exciting. and Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but mediocre...Batman.
User avatar

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 am

BB has been built up to be the messiah of comic book movies when in reality it's just an enjoyable action flick with bat-themed James Bond gadgets.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 am

I loved it, and it has stood up to repeat viewing. Still, I'm willing to bet the new one will be even better.
User avatar

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 am

Spiderrob wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't sooo great? I mean, it was decent and all and entertaining, but the last 1/3 kinda...sucked. The fight scenes were lousy. Scarecrow was a crappy villain. The girlfriend was lame and the actress was a lightweight. I hated the Batmobile. While the training was interesting, we've seen it in 10,000 different movies-many of them with Liam Neeson himself :lol: It wasn't much fun or exciting. and Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but mediocre...Batman.
It was good and yes, you suck.

Image
User avatar

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 am

I liked it
User avatar

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:24 am

I agree with nieto but I will concede that Katie Holmes was definitely the weak part.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:24 am

As I have said numerous times, I am not a fan of it. I plan to rewatch it before seeing Dark Knight, though. Maybe I'll enjoy it more this time.
User avatar

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:26 am

TheScantronman wrote:I agree with nieto but I will concede that Katie Holmes was definitely the weak part.
Yeah, even with those nips, her presence was annoying.
User avatar

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 am

We own the movie and I've watched it probably dozens of times. I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it and have liked it more with each viewing. I thought the Scarecrow was handled really well (he's never been a fighter of any sort and is a pansy without his gas, well he usually is sometimes they do a cool story like last year) and Ra's was handled well. Falcone was used well as the main gangster guy. I thought Bale was good as both Bruce and Batman. And with the exception of Rachel all of the side characters were awesome. Lucious, Alfred, and Gordon in particular were nearly perfect and incredibly well played.

Overall it's one of my favorite comic book movies and I can't wait for the sequel next week.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 am

cncoyle wrote:BB has been built up to be the messiah of comic book movies when in reality it's just an enjoyable action flick with bat-themed James Bond gadgets.

agreed. the fight scenes did suck, Katie Cruise was awful (and her character was annoying), and i'm not a fan of the Bat-tank. so it ain't the be-all, end-all that i see a lot of people claim it to be.

OTOH, the cast (other than Katie) was awesome, it had Ra's frickin' al Ghul in it (so that's huge bonus points for me), the suit looked cool, and the overall story was enjoyable and the dialogue better than probably 99% of every other comic movie ever made (maybe 100% for that matter).


so: really good, but not great. it makes my top 10 comic movies, but probably in the bottom half.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 am

cncoyle wrote:BB has been built up to be the messiah of comic book movies when in reality it's just an enjoyable action flick with bat-themed James Bond gadgets.


Agreed!
User avatar

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 am

Spiderrob wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't sooo great? I mean, it was decent and all and entertaining, but the last 1/3 kinda...sucked. The fight scenes were lousy. Scarecrow was a crappy villain. The girlfriend was lame and the actress was a lightweight. I hated the Batmobile. While the training was interesting, we've seen it in 10,000 different movies-many of them with Liam Neeson himself :lol: It wasn't much fun or exciting. and Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but mediocre...Batman.


For all your foolishness in other threads this one is spot on. This move was ok, but not great. It only gets the accolades due to the prior Batman flicks being so monumentally shitty.
User avatar

lancer_man

Expert Post Whore

Postby lancer_man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

Aaron_W wrote:For all your foolishness in other threads this one is spot on. This move was ok, but not great. It only gets the accolades due to the prior Batman flicks being so monumentally shitty.


After Batman and Robin, a home movie with me in my underoos would have been critically acclaimed.
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 am

cncoyle wrote:BB has been built up to be the messiah of comic book movies when in reality it's just an enjoyable action flick with bat-themed James Bond gadgets.


Bah. I think you meant to type, "Casino Royale has been built up to be the messiah of Bond movies when in reality it's just an enjoyable action flick with Bond-themed Batman action and plot." Batman Begins was fucking great.

It's okay. I understand you're old and confused.
User avatar

Jack Burton

biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:41 am

chap22 wrote:agreed. the fight scenes did suck, Katie Cruise was awful (and her character was annoying), and i'm not a fan of the Bat-tank. so it ain't the be-all, end-all that i see a lot of people claim it to be.

OTOH, the cast (other than Katie) was awesome, it had Ra's frickin' al Ghul in it (so that's huge bonus points for me), the suit looked cool, and the overall story was enjoyable and the dialogue better than probably 99% of every other comic movie ever made (maybe 100% for that matter).


so: really good, but not great. it makes my top 10 comic movies, but probably in the bottom half.


I completely agree. It's a good movie but I feel like people praise it a little to highly. I think Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man are better. The thing is after Batman and Robin any not shitty Batman movie would have been lauded and since Batman Begins was good it gets a lot of love.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chessack, FaceBook [Linkcheck], HNutz, MSNbot Media, pastajoe, Spacedog and 29 guests