Advertisement

'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Network's Schedule

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: 'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Network'

Postby Rockman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 pm

I bought YJ toys for my nephew they were NOT 30 dollars, not even close. In fact the set I bought him came with 2 figures and it was less than 10 bucks.

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 314 posts

Re: RE: 'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Netw

Postby Draco x » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Herald wrote:
Cartoon Network is a Time Warner company, like Warner Bros. and DC Comics; it's not owned by Hasbro.

Pretty much what Herald said.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:22 am

Rockman wrote:I bought YJ toys for my nephew they were NOT 30 dollars, not even close. In fact the set I bought him came with 2 figures and it was less than 10 bucks.

Actually the ones that were $30 was the DCUC articulated ones that came with accessories. Only Red Arrow, Aqualad, Robin, Artemis, Kid Flash, Superboy (SDCC), and Sportsmaster. Miss Martian and Superboy (regular) were pushed back until the figures were both canceled. Except I think that Superboy got released in another DC line.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am

Zechs wrote:
Actually the ones that were $30 was the DCUC articulated ones that came with accessories. Only Red Arrow, Aqualad, Robin, Artemis, Kid Flash, Superboy (SDCC), and Sportsmaster. Miss Martian and Superboy (regular) were pushed back until the figures were both canceled. Except I think that Superboy got released in another DC line.

If you are lucky you can get those at places like Maxway and Roses or other discount stores for $10 or less. I got Batman, Robin, Red Arrow, Artemis, and Aqualad. The only other place I saw any YJ toys sold were at Toys R Us and they were very expensive but all the toys at TRU are expensive.
ImageImageImage

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:59 am

*trying to ignore the mind-raping images if the TTGShow toys*

I'd seen a few YJ toys, but only in pictures after the whole CN-sabotage thing was being talked about and YJ was cancelled. That's how hard they were to find, I guess. I had no idea they were so expensive! T^T damn that's not fair-! Wasn't that a kid's show--or at least a young-teen show? And kids are supposed to have huge allowances like that? Damn...

I never went looking, but I'm stunned that Miss Martian and Superboy were pushed back. From how the fanbase sounds, those two were the most popular couple, and two very popular characters independently. Why the hell would they NOT make those two FIRST? (except Robin coming first--must appease the Graysonites and the Kid Flash fans) Course, when CN is trying to make sure that they can get rid of a program, it makes sense, but the thing that has never made sense is why they would be so damn stupid about it.

As if people couldn't come to these conclusions? All I ever did was complain about the show's writing, never researched a thing, and even I could conclude most of what CN did and why they did it. They didn't have anything to do with the writing or at least not enough, I assume, but that's my point. I wasn't even paying attention to anything but the show's quality, which far as I know had not been too directly influenced by CN itself, and it was STILL obvious. Even living under a rock, I could figure out the body what they did.
All anyone has to do is notice the way the schedule's been bounced for the last--what--5 years? Longer? As soon as it was on hiatus that second time (I believe their excuse was "well, it's CN's birthday, so... two months of special programming!") I was facepalming.

But then we see this kind of stupidity all over in the world of big companies. It's why there's a "DC stupid counter." They pull shit then think either no one will notice, or when we DO notice, they think we're stupid enough to buy whatever load of crap they feed us as their "excuse".

I miss those "good ol days", too. I hate what kids have to choose from today. It's a good thing society is still pushing that "go outside and play" junk at them. Much as I made fun of YJ, and it certainly deserved it, it was by far the best kid's show that I had seen on CN for a while. Should never have been cancelled, just in the name of quality TV.

DAMMIT, JOHNNY SMITH!!
*head 'splodes from TTGShow toy images*
(... but anything is better than "Zechs Vision"... thank you. :) )

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Kid's entertainment is better than ever

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:59 pm

The internet is a funny place.

People hated Beware the Batman long before it ever came out, it was automatically the worst show ever. Now it's a different story.

Same song and dance with every batman show after TAS.

And people need to give up on the YJ stuff. It ran for 2 seasons (46 episodes) which is more than respectable. And the second season was not accessible to new fans whatsoever. I watched the show from the beginning and I didn't know or care what was going on 75% of the time. It had a major lack of focus and I'm sure the Darkseid arc would have been the same deal.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Rockman wrote:And people need to give up on the YJ stuff. It ran for 2 seasons (46 episodes) which is more than respectable. And the second season was not accessible to new fans whatsoever. I watched the show from the beginning and I didn't know or care what was going on 75% of the time. It had a major lack of focus and I'm sure the Darkseid arc would have been the same deal.

You have to expect some Continuity Lock-Out when you have Loads and Loads of Characters, and you're trying to keep them all in the game. :smt102

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Too many characters most of them developed poorly are abandoned. That wasn't good. They should have focused on the core team rather than giving us a greatest hits of the Teen Titans roster over the years. It's great that some of guys know these characters but I have no idea who blowfish lad is.

It was a complete let down after the first season which mostly focused on the main group of youngsters, for most of them to take a severely reduced role for a majority of the season.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Rockman wrote:Too many characters most of them developed poorly are abandoned. That wasn't good. They should have focused on the core team rather than giving us a greatest hits of the Teen Titans roster over the years.

The thinking on that was probably "It worked for JLU! :smt102" As already mentioned, these shows run on merchandising, and more characters = more merchandise opportunities. Thus, since in the case of both YJ and JLU, DC was sitting on a ton of related characters that already exist, who merely need to be redesigned to fit the show in question -- TA-DAH!! More characters just thrown in!

Admittedly, I also have a bit of a problem with the lack of use of my namesake (Herald, aka Mal Duncan). That said, I do appreciate that they wanted to use the character in the first place. I actually take more issue with how Dr. Light got short shrift on JLU! :wink:

It's great that some of guys know these characters but I have no idea who blowfish lad is.

Lagoon Boy first appeared in what's usually known as the PAD Aquaman series, after PAD left the book:

And afterwards, he started getting tied into Young Justice, leaving his Land Lubbers pals behind:

It was a complete let down after the first season which mostly focused on the main group of youngsters, for most of them to take a severely reduced role for a majority of the season.

Thing is, they were expecting to have a 3rd season. Now, THAT is what I consider to be their major miscalculation. Nowadays in particular, TV showrunners should assume that this season will be the last one.

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Postby Scintillant-H » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Rockman wrote:Kid's entertainment is better than ever

Nice to see spine ;) I love when someone can disagree with me, though I wish you had elaborated more. I suppose it's just a matter of differing opinion but considering what else you had to say about YJ, I think your reasons for loving today's kids shows would have been an interesting read.

Anyrate, you and Herald are right about the "too many characters" in YJ. It was one of many flaws, but it was the one that annoyed a lot of people the most. There should be the main cast in spotlight, then everyone else who appears is only there to be tools to effect the main cast. Not too much screen time, nothing that outshines the main cast, and then they go away. Maybe the tools return, but only once in a while--only when they're NEEDED to make the main cast look good again. If they had done that, I think I really would have liked YJ a whole lot more. Maybe not a lot, depends on the writing style, but definitely would have been better.

If nothing else, the kids watching the show had some good mindless action in YJ. Even a friend of mine who loved the show admitted that she didn't care about the characters, she didn't even care who won the battles, as long as she got to see a fight--because every character was so watered down emotionally. Before she said that, I hadn't even thought about that POV. And mindless action was exactly what it was. The characters didn't fight with personality, they just went about the motions, with rare exceptions. I'm talking mostly the second season, of course. I don't recall enough about season one to really gauge it honestly. The episodes kinda blended together for me.

With better writing, they could have easily enough had that many characters in the show, but as I said, everyone NOT in the main team should have been downplayed, used only as tools. Which seems like what Herald said, more or less. It was trying to keep them all "in the game", give them all the same spotlight, that was the problem.
Also, characters like most of JL would have to have very small roles (or NO roles), because merely mentioning them steals the spotlight from the main characters--Batman and his buds are just too big in name. SAY his name and suddenly no one cares about anything else. "Wait--what about Batman?" Thoughts derail at that point.
But I'm an introvert and apparently we're all easily distracted, so maybe it's just me.... oh, wait, it's not! Any writer worth half their salt state complications like that when it comes to certain characters who have "presence." And I don't just mean comic book writers, novel writers have the same problem when they have well-developed characters who take on their own lives. Which is how Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box" horror novel came to be.
I do believe that more than one set of writers had that problem with Slade. Which is why, with those writers, he was kinda shoved in the background more than they wanted him to be. It solved the problem. They could have done similar things to JL in YJ, at least more than they did. JL wasn't as big a problem as all the other throw-ins, so I don't really have much complaint about big names being in the show. Just how every character was handled, and how badly their personalities were filled out. Or not filled out enough.

Much as I didn't see reason enough for the show to get cancelled, it's true that the writers should have seen the end coming. For both the reasons Herald stated and the obvious way in which CN was handling the situation with YJ. I read an article that said the writers knew about the cancellation long before it happened. LONG before--as in: before season 2 even started. Yet they still thought that somehow it was going to get a season 3? Perhaps they were hoping the fanbase would save the show, since all of the YJ fans I know are practically rabid about it. To prepare for a "possible" new season is one thing, but to actually think it's going to happen with all the real-life crap that they went through... yeah, that was a bit stupid. :smt102 There were tons of major signs.

But I'm someone who aims for the best and expects the worst, and most people can't handle thinking along such realistically pessimistic lines. Perhaps they were living in a kind of dream world, which could explain how they thought that crowdfunding would work for so long before giving up on it (because the company refused to play ball, if I recall correctly), as well as certain other traits I noticed. I think the staff liked their show too much to see where it was going in the real world.

Thanks for that cover image, Herald. :) I always thought Lagoon boy was creepy looking (I've only ever known the YJ show version), but on that Young Justice Special cover, he's actually kinda cute. Like a puppy. With gills. :lol: XD

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Rockman wrote:The internet is a funny place.

People hated Beware the Batman long before it ever came out, it was automatically the worst show ever. Now it's a different story.

Same song and dance with every batman show after TAS.

And people need to give up on the YJ stuff. It ran for 2 seasons (46 episodes) which is more than respectable. And the second season was not accessible to new fans whatsoever. I watched the show from the beginning and I didn't know or care what was going on 75% of the time. It had a major lack of focus and I'm sure the Darkseid arc would have been the same deal.

I think Beware the Batman is meh. I just want more Ra's and Lady Shiva FOR REASONS. Add that there will be Riddlerepisodes also make me want to see them.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Postby Scintillant-H » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Zechs wrote:

I think Beware the Batman is meh. I just want more Ra's and Lady Shiva FOR REASONS. Add that there will be Riddlerepisodes also make me want to see them.

No Talia?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 766 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 766 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm

CN Theme -

:smt102
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum