Advertisement

A&E cancels Longmire

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 366 posts

Re: A&E cancels Longmire

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm

This is one of the few shows that both me and my wife love. So pissed. Hopefully Netflix or another network picks it up. It was such a great show.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm

misac wrote:Loved the first two seasons. Third season was still good, Branch going nuts was great but I didn’t really look forward to watching. :smt102 Still sucks though, I did like how it ended.

Good thing about Longmire is there is a 10-book series of novels (on which the show was based), and they are all significantly better than the show (and that is saying something, because the show was DAMN good). The novels are set more like in the time period of the 3rd season, but they have the same basic style and tone, and the mysteries are generally quite good.

Plus you will find out what happens to Vic, Cadey, Branch, and Ferg. :)

Though I admit that knowing these things did hurt the show a little bit. I kept waiting for the Branch thing to resolve the way it did in the books, and it never really did. Probably because the guy who played him was such a good actor.

And although Katee Sackoff looks NOTHING like Vic is described in the book, she had that character down perfectly.

EDIT: BTW, if people want to know what happens to these characters in the books (and thus probably would eventually have happened to them on the show) let me know and I can either PM it or if enough people want, I can post it here inside spoiler tags.
Last edited by Chessack on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EvilOne likes this post.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 366 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Do you have some point to posting this sort of stuff? Something you are trying to accomplish?

Oh its just what he does. He's angry more shows don't star someone named Ryan or aren't Road Rules.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

EvilOne
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Formerly: Evil

Postby EvilOne » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 am

Chessack wrote:EDIT: BTW, if people want to know what happens to these characters in the books (and thus probably would eventually have happened to them on the show) let me know and I can either PM it or if enough people want, I can post it here inside spoiler tags.

I want to know. I'll probably never get around to reading the books. :)
"For 8,000 years the men who have hunted it have understood one thing,
on Kodiak Island... sometimes the bear wins."

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 am

OK, here ya go... since other people may want to know I just put it here. Spoilers both if the show continues on another network, or for reading the books. You've been warned.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Cadey is a lawyer in Philly, Vic’s home town. She is critically injured in a sexual assault and hospitalized. The cop assigned to the case is Vic’s younger brother (her whole family are cops). After Cadey recovers, she and little Moretti fall in love. By book 9 they are married.

In the same book, Vic flies to Philly to help Walt and they hook up. They have stayed together (sort-of) ever since (about half the series).

This sets up the very odd situation where Walt is dating his daughter’s sister-in-law.

Ferg ends up in an annex Sheriff's office (they have a secondary one in a small town on the other side of the county).

Branch, similar to the show, mistreats a suspect and Walt fires him. He's only in the first couple of books, if that.

Branch’s father is NOT involved in the books. Lucian's still his uncle but Lucian can't stand Branch and urges Walt to fire him more than once.

Lucian comes out of retirement to work as a sort of "adjunct" deputy.

Branch is replaced very early on by an awesome character who never appears on the show, a Basque named Sancho. He’s a good detective and friendly with both Walt and Vic.I kept hoping they’d put him into the show. Sancho is great.

Walt has a pet dog that he takes just about everywhere, in the books. His name is Dog. Heh.

I’m pretty sure the books do not have his wife being murdered by anyone, and certainly not Branch’s father, since that character does not appear.

The novels are awesome, and well worth reading. The TV series takes place, seemingly, before the first novel, or at least around the time of the very early novels, based on Walt’s relationships with Vic, Branch, and Ferg, all of which are more developed in the first book than they were at the beginning of the series. Walt also had dealt more completely with his wife’s death in the novels than in the show.

EvilOne likes this post.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: Star-Lord

Postby Rob Thompson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 am

EvilOne wrote:I want to know. I'll probably never get around to reading the books. :)

That is a shame. Those books are terrific!

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:That is a shame. Those books are terrific!

Yep.

My rule of thumb is, no matter how good the TV show or movie based on a book is, the book is always better.

I can't think of a case when this was not true.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 539 posts

Postby pastajoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Chessack wrote:
Yep.

My rule of thumb is, no matter how good the TV show or movie based on a book is, the book is always better.

The Godfather
Planet of the Apes (with Heston)
Watchmen

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 544 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 pm

You cray, watchmen was a terrible film.

Not a great book either, but still better than the movie

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 539 posts

Postby pastajoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Rockman wrote:You cray, watchmen was a terrible film.

Not a great book either, but still better than the movie

Watchmen was a great movie, better than a very good book. Top ten comic book movie.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Which network would be likely to pick this up? AMC?

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 am

pastajoe wrote:The Godfather
Watchmen

Well... I have neither seen nor read the Godfather. Yeah, I know, but I really hate the whole theme of the mafia and saw enough of it in other venues not to want to bother with this one.

I've seen but not read Planet of the Apes. I can maybe believe this one, because, well, it's Heston.

Both 300 and Watchmen were so bad, as movies, that I couldn't finish watching them. I gave up on both before they were halfway through. So I find it hard to believe these were BETTER than the source material, though I've never read either of those, either.

In any event, Longmire, for sure, is an outstanding TV series (I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 this season, and 9/10 the first two), but the books are even better (hard as that is to believe). Perhaps because I love Vic and Henry and as good as they are on the show, they are much more enjoyable in the books.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:41 am

pastajoe wrote:
Watchmen was a great movie, better than a very good book. Top ten comic book movie.

Ok, this is just crazy talk.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Rob Thompson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Chessack wrote:
Yep.

Ludlum's Bourne series. Movies, I thought, were an improvement.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Rob Thompson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:12 pm

pastajoe wrote:
The Godfather
Watchmen

I would actually disagree with all these. I found the books associated with each more enjoyable than the movies.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum