Advertisement

A&E cancels Longmire

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 656 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Re: A&E cancels Longmire

Postby Rob Thompson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Chessack wrote:Both 300 and Watchmen were so bad, as movies, that I couldn't finish watching them. I gave up on both before they were halfway through. So I find it hard to believe these were BETTER than the source material, though I've never read either of those, either.

Now this is crazy talk. :P

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Ludlum's Bourne series. Movies, I thought, were an improvement.

Clearly, any time I haven't both read the book and seen the movie or TV show, I could not be talking about. I've not read the Bourne books, either.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby misac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:01 am

Chessack wrote:OK, here ya go... since other people may want to know I just put it here. Spoilers both if the show continues on another network, or for reading the books. You've been warned.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Cadey is a lawyer in Philly, Vic’s home town. She is critically injured in a sexual assault and hospitalized. The cop assigned to the case is Vic’s younger brother (her whole family are cops). After Cadey recovers, she and little Moretti fall in love. By book 9 they are married.

In the same book, Vic flies to Philly to help Walt and they hook up. They have stayed together (sort-of) ever since (about half the series).

This sets up the very odd situation where Walt is dating his daughter’s sister-in-law.

Ferg ends up in an annex Sheriff's office (they have a secondary one in a small town on the other side of the county).

Branch, similar to the show, mistreats a suspect and Walt fires him. He's only in the first couple of books, if that.

Branch’s father is NOT involved in the books. Lucian's still his uncle but Lucian can't stand Branch and urges Walt to fire him more than once.

Lucian comes out of retirement to work as a sort of "adjunct" deputy.

Branch is replaced very early on by an awesome character who never appears on the show, a Basque named Sancho. He’s a good detective and friendly with both Walt and Vic.I kept hoping they’d put him into the show. Sancho is great.

Walt has a pet dog that he takes just about everywhere, in the books. His name is Dog. Heh.

I’m pretty sure the books do not have his wife being murdered by anyone, and certainly not Branch’s father, since that character does not appear.

The novels are awesome, and well worth reading. The TV series takes place, seemingly, before the first novel, or at least around the time of the very early novels, based on Walt’s relationships with Vic, Branch, and Ferg, all of which are more developed in the first book than they were at the beginning of the series. Walt also had dealt more completely with his wife’s death in the novels than in the show.

Cool, if I read faster I’d read them for sure.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am

The Longmire books are pretty short... A couple hundred pages. You can blow through them pretty quickly. :)

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 656 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Chessack wrote:The Longmire books are pretty short... A couple hundred pages. You can blow through them pretty quickly. :)

Yeah they are pretty quick reads.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Chessack wrote:
Well... I have neither seen nor read the Godfather. Yeah, I know, but I really hate the whole theme of the mafia and saw enough of it in other venues not to want to bother with this one.

I've seen but not read Planet of the Apes. I can maybe believe this one, because, well, it's Heston.

Both 300 and Watchmen were so bad, as movies, that I couldn't finish watching them. I gave up on both before they were halfway through. So I find it hard to believe these were BETTER than the source material, though I've never read either of those, either.

In any event, Longmire, for sure, is an outstanding TV series (I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 this season, and 9/10 the first two), but the books are even better (hard as that is to believe). Perhaps because I love Vic and Henry and as good as they are on the show, they are much more enjoyable in the books.

Everything you just said is Insanity. Now Watchmen was a horrible film, not that great a book either so you're not wrong on that. The Godfather is not only a fantastic book but easily one of the best films of all time and the second one is even better. 300 is an amazing film.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 379 posts

Postby pastajoe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:41 pm

I really don't understand why some of you don't like Watchmen, it's one of my favorite superhero movies. It has the gritty realism of Captain America, The Dark Knight, and Man of Steel, which is how I like superhero movies.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Both 300 and Watchmen bored me to tears, frankly. Which is why halfway through, I turned them both off.

I can't comment on the Godfather as I say, because I never read it nor watched it. I'm certainly not asserting its being either good, or bad... I simply haven't seen it.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum