Friday, May 27, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Where keepin' it real goes wrong."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Casting rumors for Dark Knight sequel

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 am

This is a mix of old rumors, made-up stuff and a Julie Newmar quote but you know, I hope it happens...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2480975/Batman-sequel-to-The-Dark-Knight-Johnny-Depp-to-play-The-Riddler.html

Batman sequel to The Dark Knight: Johnny Depp to play The Riddler?
Johnny Depp is being tipped to play The Riddler in the sequel to The Dark Knight.

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
Last Updated: 6:43PM BST 31 Jul 2008

Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker has set the bar high for Gotham City villains, but reports in the US say studio bosses have set their sights on Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.

"Producers are convinced that the role of The Riddler is perfect for Depp. Johnny's a pro. He'll be able to take direction and still make the character his own. And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman?" a source said.

They could be joining Angelina Jolie - the actress is reported to be after the role of Catwoman.

The Riddler was played by Jim Carrey in 1995 film Batman Forever and Frank Gorshin in the Sixties television series. As for The Penguin, he was portrayed on the small screen by Burgess Meredith and in 1992 film Batman returns by Danny DeVito.

Plans for the sequel are yet to be announced but it is likely to star Christian Bale reprising his role as The Caped Crusader.

The Dark Knight has smashed box office records in the US, taking $314 million in just 10 days.

There is even talk of it challenging Titanic to become the biggest movie of all time. Titanic took $600 million in the US. The Dark Knight certainly looks set to reach second place in the all-time chart and beat Star Wars, which made $460 million.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:15 am

I think with the ending to The Dark Knight, as Batman is now a vigilante, it would be a great time to introduce the real Catwoman into the mix.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:15 am

someone scooped this a few days ago, probably Xaraan.

anyway, here's the full article..will you look at that!

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:17 am

CountD wrote:someone scooped this a few days ago, probably Xaraan.

anyway, here's the full article..will you look at that!

He did? Sorry, hadn't seen it. CBR linked this article this morning. The Penguin rumor was from a long time ago. Like before they even cast Heath as Joker. The Depp one is news to me. And Julie Newmar is responsible for the Angelina thing.

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:17 am

So did Nolan change his mind about the Penguin or is this complete bullshit?

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:18 am

kingofcities wrote:He did? Sorry, hadn't seen it. CBR linked this article this morning. The Penguin rumor was from a long time ago. Like before they even cast Heath as Joker. The Depp one is news to me. And Julie Newmar is responsible for the Angelina thing.

it might not have been X, and it was just a casual mention IIRC.

full article good

blah

rubber spoon

Postby blah » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am

Johnny Depp? Sounds interesting...
Angelina Jolie? Horrible, horrible choice.

lancer_man

Expert Post Whore

Postby lancer_man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

cncoyle wrote:I think with the ending to The Dark Knight, as Batman is now a vigilante, it would be a great time to introduce the real Catwoman into the mix.

And they kinda need some kind of female character in the movie.

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

hulk432 wrote:Johnny Depp? Sounds interesting...
This is the guy that won't see Batman Begins....

DOGPILE!!!!!!!!!!!!

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

hulk432 wrote:Johnny Depp? Sounds interesting...

agreed. and i need to see a Penguin revamp like i need a shotgun blast to the face. stick to your guns, Nolan...don't give this franchise the bird!

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

D wrote:So did Nolan change his mind about the Penguin or is this complete bullshit?

Probably bullshit. I do however like the casting. Although I am a little trepidatious when it comes to Jolie...

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

lancer_man wrote:And they kinda need some kind of good looking, lead female character in the movie.

there you go

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am

chap22 wrote:agreed. and i need to see a Penguin revamp like i need a shotgun blast to the face. stick to your guns, Nolan...don't give this franchise the bird!

I absolutely agree. That said, if it were to happen for some reason I don't think you could get better casting than Hoffman.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

kingofcities wrote:Probably bullshit. I do however like the casting. Although I am a little trepidatious when it comes to Jolie...

truthfully, i could buy Angelina as Talia al Ghul WAY before i could as Catwoman. she's got the exotic look, they're both bat-shit crazy, they've got overpowering scenery-chewing dads...it could work.

jza1218

Postby jza1218 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

Depp would probably piss Nolan off with all the "Burton would do it this way" comments

leave a comment with facebook