Advertisement

DC's characters don't deserve DC

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9302
Likes: 1686 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
I doubt DC Comics will be going into the shoe business, because if these guys.

Image

Especially after the little embarrassing incident when DC Comics tried to sue DC Shoes for trademark infringement, then found out that it didn't technically own the "DC" trademark then had to pay the shoe company, which DID have the "DC" trademark), so it could keep calling itself DC Comics.

In case you ever want to know whyDC probably had to get new logo.


I meant to say shows but I didn't realize I made a typo until now. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Advertisement

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18416
Likes: 17 posts
Liked in: 118 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Online


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
I doubt DC Comics will be going into the shoe business, because if these guys.

Image

Especially after the little embarrassing incident when DC Comics tried to sue DC Shoes for trademark infringement, then found out that it didn't technically own the "DC" trademark then had to pay the shoe company, which DID have the "DC" trademark), so it could keep calling itself DC Comics.

In case you ever want to know whyDC probably had to get new logo.


Yeah, I remember when that happend. Frigging hilarious.

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1614
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 440 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Chessack » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Meh... I always liked the old circle with stars logo.

Pink_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3801
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 151 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril




Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Pink_Orchid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Uh, poor Static. If anyone could pull off a family friendly live action movie it'd be him. Just not under Warner's helm.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane
 
Posts: 129
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 pm


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby adamiani » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Juan Cena wrote:


Are we convinced that coherence is the optimal strategy, as opposed to different versions of the character for different market segments?

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9302
Likes: 1686 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Draco x » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:Uh, poor Static. If anyone could pull off a family friendly live action movie it'd be him. Just not under Warner's helm.


Sadly this is true.

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 33479
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 173 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:50 pm

adamiani wrote:
Are we convinced that coherence is the optimal strategy, as opposed to different versions of the character for different market segments?



When those versions of the character are so different it makes it hard to promote the character as cohesive "brand."

Look at Green Lantern, where you had Bruce Timm using John Stewart in the JLA anmated series because of political correct bullcrap instead of Kyle Rayner (the GL of the comics at the time). That splintered the fanbase for GL in some ways. Maybe even more so than bringing back Hal did.
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

GOSD
User avatar
Everybody lies!
 
Posts: 25434
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 319 posts
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom


Online


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby GOSD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I know sales are somewhat up, possibly back to where they were..
I know we did this before but we should list characters who were better off before the reboot and those worse of (and I guess those who have seen no real change)

I have to think the entire Titans franchise is worse off. That stuff looks awful
And my man Booster Gold went from having his own book and patrolling the entire 52 to a crappy JLI run and a guest shot with Hex. Blargh!


How about the Atom becoming a chick AND a traitor? :smt011

GOSD
User avatar
Everybody lies!
 
Posts: 25434
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 319 posts
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom


Online


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby GOSD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 pm

DC doesn't deserve Wally West Flash.

I'm still mad that he's not the Flash. :smt013

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 11412
Likes: 712 posts
Liked in: 481 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 pm

GOSD wrote:
How about the Atom becoming a chick AND a traitor? :smt011


Doesn't count. She's not the Atom from the main Earth :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9302
Likes: 1686 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Draco x » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm

From what I understand, Joss Whedon had an interesting idea for a WW movie awhile back but the higher ups at WB and DC shot it down. The irony is that Whedon then went on to make a very successful Avengers movie afterwards. It makes you wonder if Warner and DC didn't have idiots in charge how much more successful they could be franchise-wise outside of Batman and Superman.

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 11412
Likes: 712 posts
Liked in: 481 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm

What was Whedon's idea ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9302
Likes: 1686 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Draco x » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:What was Whedon's idea ?


Here is the link:

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-wonde ... -avengers/

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18416
Likes: 17 posts
Liked in: 118 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Online


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Arion » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Chessack wrote:Meh... I always liked the old circle with stars logo.


That one was great.

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 33479
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 173 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Chessack wrote:Meh... I always liked the old circle with stars logo.



Like I said because of DC's incompetency,it had to go.
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 55 guests

Advertisement