Advertisement

Is a "Che" shirt equal to a shirt with the Confede

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Sgt.Marvel
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Eastern Witty Boy

Postby Sgt.Marvel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:39 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Is that what you call them?

What do you call them? :?

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:40 pm

They are both pretty dumb.

On a side note, the guy across the street has confederate flag flying on a poll at the top of his house. I had made a joke one day about it and my dad started defending it as heritage. I was like, how does that represent any heritage that the american flag doesn't? All it represents is the split in the union and their desire to maintain slavery as a business practice. Not to count how it was used by the KKK since then. Sorry, I just don't get the whole representing our heritage argument.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Sgt.Marvel wrote:What do you call them? :?

Boobs

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:42 pm

xaraan wrote:

On a side note, the guy across the street has confederate flag flying on a poll at the top of his house. I had made a joke one day about it and my dad started defending it as heritage. I was like, how does that represent any heritage that the american flag doesn't? All it represents is the split in the union and their desire to maintain slavery as a business practice. Not to count how it was used by the KKK since then. Sorry, I just don't get the whole representing our heritage argument.

This will only end in tears.

jza1218

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby jza1218 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:42 pm

cncoyle wrote:Image

Y'know, with a name like "Thunderstorm", you really need a storm effect in your sig similar to jza's sig.

Everyone rippin off my sig... :x

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 pm

xaraan wrote:

Go to the old 'Rama, do a search for Confederate Flag posts by Thunderstorm. I've explained it like a billion times. I'm sure some better and nicer than others.

Sgt.Marvel
rubber spoon

Title: Eastern Witty Boy

Postby Sgt.Marvel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:49 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Boobs

Oh, I call those Nerfhearders.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Nightfly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 pm

cncoyle wrote:I think he's saying that you either used to build crosses or you are known for ripping the arms off of droids.

:-D Image :-D

Man, you really get me :)
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Go to the old 'Rama, do a search for Confederate Flag posts by Thunderstorm. I've explained it like a billion times. I'm sure some better and nicer than others:

I grew up in Mississippi, and my family still lives there. There are plenty of black people who support the Confederate Flag and have it on their cars or something. Not because they think Slavery was so awesome. or they hate the North, but for other reasons. Maybe because they see a group of people hated, mocked, and oppressed because of where they were born, how they talk, how they live... they just MIGHT have a little empathy there, even if it's not the same situation.

And yes, every racist group in America uses it as their symbol, but only since Jesse Jackson marched on Ole Miss because of the flag and mascot. I'm sure the Klan used it before, but Jesse Jackson helped make it a symbol of hate to many people on both sides.

Southern Pride comes from the exact same place that Gay Pride does. Gay Pride isn't about taking pride that you've discovered a non-traditional hole to put your dick in, it's about rising above the hate and intolerance focused towards you and taking pride in yourself as a person. The rainbow flag is a unifying symbol, whether you like it or not. The Confederate Flag is a pre-existing symbol of the South, and a unifying symbol for people of the region.

But hey it's the South. All this peace and love and unity ________ goes right out the window when people get a group they're allowed to hate. The pathetic part of the whole mess is that the majority of people who hate the region the most have never been there, and every bit of opinion they have is based off the media.

Well for one, I don't hate anyone with the flag, but I often do prejudge them to be a bit ignorant. Not saying I'm right, but I have yet to meet someone that is so hung up on it that isn't racist. Not saying they aren't out there; but I haven't met them yet and they are definitely in the minority.

And like I said, I don't see a lot of sense in clinging to a failed symbol of rebellion, esp. when the rebellion was for a crappy cause. Up until that point, the american flag represented who they were as much as anyone else in the americas and after they lost it did the same. It represented the south only at a time during the war and what they were standing for at the time. To try to change it into some sort of symbol of southern pride because they don't like having lost is a reach.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:14 pm

xaraan wrote:
Well for one, I don't hate anyone with the flag, but I often do prejudge them to be a bit ignorant. Not saying I'm right, but I have yet to meet someone that is so hung up on it that isn't racist. Not saying they aren't out there; but I haven't met them yet and they are definitely in the minority.

And like I said, I don't see a lot of sense in clinging to a failed symbol of rebellion, esp. when the rebellion was for a crappy cause. Up until that point, the american flag represented who they were as much as anyone else in the americas and after they lost it did the same. It represented the south only at a time during the war and what they were standing for at the time. To try to change it into some sort of symbol of southern pride because they don't like having lost is a reach.

If I didn't grow up there, I'd probably have a hard time understanding it too. It has absolutely nothing to do with having lost the Civil War though. It's not even controversial in Mississippi, except when some outside group comes down and tries to tell people how they should feel about it.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm not an outside group.
I live in Virginia.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:48 pm

xaraan wrote:
I'm not an outside group.
I live in Virginia.

Yeah but you're not marching on the Ole Miss Campus screaming at people.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:57 pm

Maybe this is a better example. The flag has more to do with this:

Than this:

Everybody hates those people. Even these folks.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Well, I don't quite rank it up there with the nazi flag. But I just don't care for it's purpose as a southern symbol, even taking away the racist possibilities of it.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Spiderrob wrote:No, you're missing the whole point of the cross to Christians. This wasn't a "hateful symbol that was "taken back."

It's not the equivalent to reclaiming the "N" word.

The most famous use of the cross is celebrated. In Catholic Churches all over the world, the murder itself is celebrated. and has been from almost the earliest days of Christianity. That's why the cross is used.

That's not what you are talking about. It's not "taking over a symbol of oppression." It's celebrating the most famous exercise of the oppression.

The symbol of the cross was actually taken from the image of a sword, So the arguement of a symbol of oppression does hold some water.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum